Thread Rating:
WBA vs Crystal Palace - Match Thread
[Image: DSC_0188.jpg]

The goal that was sixteen years in the making; Albion vs Crystal Palace, 21st April 2002

With the magnificent achievement of forty points by the end of February under our belt, Albion head into March with a second consecutive home fixture; one which, with another good performance, could potentially let us take another leap towards the unprecedented fifty-point mark. Crystal Palace visit the Hawthorns this Saturday, and for once we have every reason to be optimistic.

The current travails of the Eagles - who sit in the relegation zone going into this fixture - are rather tricky to understand from the outside. A team full of undoubtedly talented players such as Benteke, Townsend and Zaha seemed to gradually lose their way under Alan Pardew, and even the appointment of Big Sam didn't stop the rot at first, in spite of £34.6m being spent on January transfers (for Albion fans unfamiliar with the concept of "January spending", that's the equivalent of purchasing 7.28 Callum McManamans, 13.84 Liam Ridgewells or 34.6 million Iffi Udezes). However, having nicked a vital 1-0 win over Middlesbrough last week, it may be that Palace's fortunes are just beginning to turn, and so they'll look to follow it up with a similar victory on Saturday. As ever, come this time of year the team in a dogfight has ten times the need and the desire to win than the team in mid-table, and Allardyce knows that well, so Albion will have to be on form to see off the challenge.

After this match we have a solid month of tough fixtures one after another, so if we do have hopes of a record-breaking season then a win here will be necessary. Time for Rondon to put on his shooting boots, and G-Mac to put on his heading head.
aries22, talkSAFT, HRK And 1 others like this post
Always uneasy when Benteke lines up against us!
I really can't see TP putting up with any sort of relaxation from his team this year, but, as Ska'd rightly says, this is (or SHOULD be) a pretty talented Palace team going forward.
If we don't take our foot off the gas & can match their desire it should be another game where we concede the majority of possession but get another 3 points.
Maybe.
I've got nothing against Palace fans. In fact I've had some decent craic with them in The Royal Oak over the years. And they seemed really chuffed for us when we got promoted to the Prem back in 2002.
I do dislike Bigheaded Fat Sam, and Simon Wideboy Jordan, though. In fact I dislike the pair of 'em quite a lot. So here's to a good old 5-0 thrashing tomorrow (GaryMac 3, Evans, and Dawson).
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
Have not forgotten their squad from 2002 prior to the Hawthorns clash saying we'll do it for wolves just before we beat them 2-0 to complete our 14 point turnaround over the dingles to clinch promotion to the greed league. Into March trailing the custard dwellers 11 points,/ how I loved that season watching the dingles smug smile slowly disappear. Come on you Baggies ...... 3-1.
Hard one to call this is. I think Fat Sam will fear us and make a few changes, quite content to sit back and let us have the ball and try to catch us on the break.

One thing for certain is that this game will be the indicator as to whether the players are still focused on the job of aiming for a record points haul or have downed tools for the season.

I think this game is a great time to reintroduce Jonny Leko to the side, he's not featured as much as I would have liked so far and I feel he does need these games for experience. The raw talent is clearly there.

COYB!
I've every confidence in our lads winning 2-1 and 43pts.
Crystal Palace visit the Hawthorns this Saturday, and for once we have every reason to be optimistic.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
This is precisely why we could lose this. We need to be especially on our guard in this game.
(04-03-2017, 01:55)aries22 Wrote: Crystal Palace visit the Hawthorns this Saturday, and for once we have every reason to be optimistic.
This is precisely why we could lose this. We need to be especially on our guard in this game.

...as I said in the very next paragraph Wink
(03-03-2017, 19:15)4evaabaggie Wrote: Have not forgotten their squad from 2002 prior to the Hawthorns clash saying we'll do it for wolves just before we beat them 2-0 to complete our 14 point turnaround over the dingles to clinch promotion to the greed league. Into March trailing the custard dwellers 11 points,/ how I loved that season watching the dingles smug smile slowly disappear. Come on you Baggies ...... 3-1.

I still watch the YouTube clip of the final five minutes of THAT Igor Balis game. Oh, to have been at Bradford that day!

(04-03-2017, 01:59)Ska Wrote:
(04-03-2017, 01:55)aries22 Wrote: Crystal Palace visit the Hawthorns this Saturday, and for once we have every reason to be optimistic.

...as I said in the very next paragraph  Wink

Indeed you did, Ska'd, but let's hope the 'optimistic' comment coming before the caveat doesn't apply like some sort of BIDMAS. Laugh
Aries, rather like having a bacon sandwich really....
is there an applicable BIDMAS polynomial notation that suggests that the sandwich can only be successful when accompanied with the application of brown sauce?
If so, does the BIDMAS notation require the sauce to be applied in advance of the bacon to ensure success in terms of tastability?

Smartass
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »