Thread Rating:
"Is that all there is?" Peggy Lee
Devon trust me it has fuq all to do with Scotland no being there I mean believe me i'm more than used to that,if you can honestly say that was a good tournament then you know fuq all about football
Exactly,it was a boring as xxxx tournament. There have been great ones without scotland after all,and we are quite happy to admit so.

Btw devon I want all the scottish clubs to do well in europe.
Ditto.
I meant Scottish supporters saw the whole tournament for what it was just because they weren't desperately hoping their team would be up next and play well. Some of us in England even thought we might reach the heights of beating Iceland. Then we realised amongst a tournament full of dross we were well drossy. I reckon you lot were realistic throughout.

There were a lot of apparently good players out there. Some were in apparently good teams. France had up to 20 real players in their squad and only really showed for a while against Iceland ...... Greizemann got some raves as top scorer, and he did score a couple of lovely goals, but his opening game was so poor he rightly was dropped, his second as sub he scored with his only real touch and in the final he managed two efforts on goal but caused minimal hassle to Portugal. It'd get you in the school team, but it wouldn't make you world class.

Come on lighten up, if Celtic. with Brendan Rogers in charge, losing to a team called Lincoln from an island whose entire population would only half-fill Celtic Park isn't funny I won't be able to laugh when England appoint Sam Allardyce as manager and how the fuq will I cope when my team goes out of the Cup to a team at the bottom of the Conference North? It's only a game played by some pretty dumb fuqqers and the jury's still out on people like me who watch it. If you don't laugh about results like Celtic's how the hell do you carry on? Even if you were a Celtic fan?
The Hoops' shock result was coming for a while Devongone! The previous duff Euro results of other Scottish footie sides at this early stage of the close season (even earlier this year!) didn't augur well and this latest shocker is one of the biggest upsets in Scottish footie, esp for Celtic FC! I was tempted to put a sneaky wee bet on Lincoln to beat Celtic as I thought it could possibly happen at such an unnaturally early stage of the footie season and I regret not placing that bet.
To be fair to Scottish teams lack of success in recent years has condemned them to enter European competitions at too early a stage with potentially embarrassing consequences. All of Scotland should still be out playing tennis, not playing away in Gib' or in the League Cup ....... Part of why Celtic's result is funny is that they will win through easily so we have license to laugh, and Brendan's reaction even outshone some of the crap he perpetrated at Liverpool, he's already in denial.

I'd love to see Scottish football flourish again. Okay it was always a balancing act of occasional brilliance, but Scotland once produced some wonderful players and teams of real ability. Is there a really good player now in the whole country? There's athletes, tennis players, swimmers, even a couple of rugby players, where are the footballers?
(17-07-2016, 11:54)Devongone Wrote: To be fair to Scottish teams lack of success in recent years has condemned them to enter European competitions at too early a stage with potentially embarrassing consequences. All of Scotland should still be out playing tennis, not playing away in Gib' or in the League Cup ....... Part of why Celtic's result is funny is that they will win through easily so we have license to laugh, and Brendan's reaction even outshone some of the crap he perpetrated at Liverpool, he's already in denial.

I'd love to see Scottish football flourish again. Okay it was always a balancing act of occasional brilliance, but Scotland once produced some wonderful players and teams of real ability. Is there a really good player now in the whole country? There's athletes, tennis players, swimmers, even a couple of rugby players, where are the footballers?

I think the 'too early' thing is just a convenient excuse used by Scottish football to justify poor performance. The reason we're in so early is because in previous years when we started in later rounds we went out straight away. If our teams always get knocked out the 2nd or 3rd round we probably deserve to have to play 1st round qualifiers.

Most teams in these rounds are in the same boat regarding timing too, so it's not really much of a disadvantage. Celtic had played 4 friendlies against decent enough opponents and had taken another week to prepare for their tie, so they should have been up to speed enough to do better. They lost because their manager set them up wrong and used the same players who looked like garbage last season instead of those who look more capable of doing a good job. By all accounts from anyone who watched their game, the Celtic players acted like they didn't expect to have to put much effort or intensity into the game, and they got out of it exactly what they deserved.

Same thing has happened to Rangers all too frequently in the early rounds. It was never really about being too early so much as not being properly prepared and getting the tactics wrong.
I think like 0762 that it has been coming. They have toiled recently against teams from azerbaijan and kazakhstan in recent campaigns. You can prepare well but still toil being thrown onto a difficult surface in 40 degree heat at this stage of the season against committed opponents. So i think the timing of these games is still a factor although even the champions of scotland should never be worrying too much about a game like that.

What was interesting was afters rodgers didn't give it deilas 'the players froze' line,instead he opted to just downplay it completely. Interesting approach. Laugh A massive wake up call for him.
Maybe it will be good for them. Brechin City would have thought they had a more than realistic chance of winning in Gibraltar. So Celtic should have been looking at 0-3 or better. I've never been convinced by Brendan Rogers. He seems a long way up himself with little justification. He had a lot of luck at Liverpool, not least of which was taking over a team which was already undergoing change and being able to bring in Luis Suarez ......... with whom the previous manager had already been in contact. So he inherited groundwork and a new man who immediately became the best striker in the country. And now he's got a job in which relative success seems guaranteed. Lucky lucky man.

My love of football always led me to worship heroes but mine have always had a slightly dodgy element to them - I loved Tony Currie, I thought Paolo Di Canio was so good I was prepared to overlook his fascism, but Alan Gilzean was up there for me, he never looked fully-fit to me, his shorts were sometimes a dodgy fit too, but fuqqin hell was he a proper centre forward ........ loved him! A Scottish hero.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »