Thread Rating:
Match Thread- Newcastle v Huddersfield
When & Where

Saturday 13th August 2016 15:00ko at the St James's Park(That's it's real name)
[Image: A447-22.jpg]

The Big Build Up
Ho'way the lads...and lasses! Welcome to my first match thread of the season and what a belting first away day the Championship fixture planners have given us.....a trip to the Toon!
Town wil be backed by a sell out away crowd of 3200 and the home crowd should outnumber us by about 50,000 by far and away the biggest crowd we will play a league game in front of this season and possibly any game at all baring a trip to Old Trafford in the cup or a highly unlikely Wembley appearance
If you've not been to the Toon for a while be prepared, the away fans it on Level 7(right at the top) and it's something like 13 flights of stairs to get up there, or you can have a go at faking injury and see if they let you go up in the lift....I'm not lazy by the way so if you see me going in the lift its because my gout has come back..honest. Once at the top it'll take those as old as me back to your childhood days, yes it's like subbuteo from up there

All Change, it's out with the Old and in with the New.
Both sides have been active during the summer months, Newcastle have shipped out no less than 8 players this summer and some big names amongst them Wijnaldum,Cisse,Coloccini,Townsend and Taylor for a kick off but they seemed to have replaced well. Grant Hanley(Blackburn), Matt Ritchie(Bournemouth) and Dwight Gayle(Palace) all good players who should improve the team at Championship level are among 8 new signings(as of 29/7)
Meanwhile we all know about Town but if we have any Newcastle fans lurking in the background then this info is for you. We have replaced everyone except Tommy Smith and can't be far off naming a Foriegn XI as a starting line up. For any Toon fans reading we have a sprinkling of Germans,A Croatian,a Dutchman,A Slovenian,a Dane, a Bermudan and an Aussie(and Jason Davidson who we are trying to deport).German defender Schindler is our record signing reported be £1.8million and forward Nahki Wells will be our top scorer again this season, he really should be looking at breaking 20/25 goals this season.

Managers Comments
David Wagner-taken from Twitter
To follow

Fat Spanish waiter- to follow

Form Guide
Last 6 League games
This being the second league game of the season means this section is irrelevant, so sit back and enjoy a can of John Smiths beer or a bottle of Newcastle Brown ale and don't worry too much about it, other beers are available and probably more advisable

Teams
Based on last time out (Brentford)
Ward
Smith,Hudson,Schindler,Löwe
Hogg,Mooy
Lolley,Mooy,Van La Parra
Kachunga

Newcastle (Fulham) 4-2-3-1
Sells
Janamaat,Hanley,Lascelles,Dummett
Colback,Hayden
Anita,Perez,Ritchie
Gayle

They Played for Both
[Image: Malcolm-Brown.jpg]
Malcolm Brown- For those old enough to remember Mally Brown he was a Town legend in the Mick Buxton era, a proper right back who would get forward at every opportunity to support the winger. After impressing for Town he earned a move to Newcastle but injury put paid to any impact in the north when MB suffered a broken leg, after 2 years away MB moved back to the Terriers
Town record
Played 352 Scored 17
Newcastle record
Played 39 Scored 0

[Image: 4.jpg]
Steve Harper- Super Stevie Harper, one of the best goalkeepers I've seen play for Town, a brilliant goalkeeper who was at Newcastle for 20 years but spent most of it as understudy to Shay Given
Town record
Played 24
Newcastle Record
Played 157

[Image: bradford-city-des-hamilton-53-panini-199...5159-p.jpg]
Des Hamilton- the less said about this lad the better...ex Bradford City who Newcastle paid £2million before eventually being released on a free and useless when he came on loan to the Terriers
Town record
Played 10 Scored 1
Newcastle record
Played 12 scored 0

Other connections
Lee Clarke,Terry McDermott,Steve Watson- No matter what anyone says this lot were the start of a new beginning down at Town,mainly thanks to Deans millions but it was definitely the start of our rise back to the championship even if they didn't quite get us there. All three lads are well thought of in Geordieland as far as I can gather, Terry Mac was part of the team when Newcastle won promotion back to the top flight in the 80s and was Kevin Keegans right hand man when he took over as manager.

We've met before
Yes not too many times during my time(started around 83/84)
Memorable games for me, The League cup game at St James Park in 20** Lee Clarke going back to his old stomping ground with the Terriers where we had the audacity to storm into a 3-1 lead, unfortunately it wasn't to last and the Toon came out 4-3 winners largely thanks to the experience of Kevin Nolan.
Going really far back in my time it was the last game at Leeds road in the 84 season?
A sell out Leeds Road, with the Geordie promotion party in Town, 2-2 this game ended up and some mad Geordie up a floodlight pylon, I seem to remember Waddle playing that day but Kevin Keegen missed out through injury

Wakeys Big Match prediction
Having performed about as well as England did against Iceland in the good Lords Euro prediction League this summer you are probably better backing the complete opposite to this. Early days for both teams but I'll have to say it's a home win for the Toon. 2-1
theo_luddite, Lord Snooty, Amelia Chaffinch And 2 others like this post
Propa belta this fella. Think we've had a few geordies in our time. Didnt we have a left back on loan from them once?
Excellent thread Wakey Thumb up
This is probably the only away game I'll be going to this season, and I can't wait.
I fully expect this game to be a humdinger, lots of chances and open, attacking football.
And with it being a sell out, the atmosphere should be fantastic.

Not too sure how to predict this game. I think Toon should win it, but after their shaky start, they might be nervous. If we can hold on and not concede early (unlike bloody Shrewsbury), we might grow into the game and take over.
An early goal for them could put us under real pressure.
I'll go 3-2 to Newcastle.
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
This guy could have some interesting points to make next week.

*WARNING* this video contains strong language

Nice one, Wakey. Thumb up

Went to that League Cup match and sat right at the back of the away section. That is ridiculously high up. Was advised to take my binoculars but didn't bother. If you're going and you have binoculars, take them. It's a long, long way away from the action.

Went to the last league meeting there as well in the 80s. We absolutely mullerd them but couldn't take advantage of our superiority (sounds familiar ) and three late goals gave it an unreasonable 5-2 scoreline to Newcastle.
To make matters worse we had to travel back home with all the coach windows put through. And it was in the middle of winter.
This will be a big test for Town, although all the pressure will be on the Magpies who desperately need a win to offset the shock defeat at Fulham in their opening match.  Although Fulham have signed a few players they had also lost their main strike force of McCormack & Dembele, who accounted for over half (36 goals) of their total scored last season, plus they had the worst defensive record (79 goals conceded) of all the teams who lived to fight another day in the Championship.  So, losing to them must have been a real shock to everyone associated with the Magpies.  Sick

In a nutshell, if Town can score first that will really put the "cat among the magpies" and I believe we can then go on and at least share the points.  On the other hand, if they score first it will be a case of damage limitation and trying to keep the score down to a respectable level.

However, being a dreamer and a crap tipster, I reckon Town will score first and hold out for a well earned draw.  Cool
Let's not over egg this particular pudding. Newcastle got relegated because they're shite.
They lost to Fulham. Why do people think they're gonna go straight back up?
We'll trounce the feckers!

And another thing. Have Radio bloody Leeds got their act together yet?
Have they chuff snoots. Just look at their name. It tells you all you need to know
It's not just Radio L666s.
I was listening to Town Player t'other night for the Shrewsbury game. After about 60 minutes the feed was lost and I couldn't get it back. Paying £5 a month for a crap service.
Bloody rubbish.

Anyway, back to the game. Newcastle were shite last year. Most people seem to think that the fat waiter is all they need to get back up.
They need players as well who can do the hard slog of a Championship season. Not sure they have those yet.
I'm getting more confident every minute...I really do think we can turn them over.
Keep to our rhythm, pass the ball around, take our chances when they come. We can win this.!!!
ritchiebaby likes this post
In beer there is freedom, in wine there is health, in cognac there is power and in water there is bacteria
Hit the nail on the head there Shep. Put the chances away. How many games have we lost when we should've been at least three up? I thought it was gonna happen again on Saturday against Brentford. We had three good chances in the first three minutes. We have to be sharper in front of goal.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »