Thread Rating:
The Future isn't Mitchell or Donny
Whether Donny hammer us tonight, or we grab the points that will keep us in Division One the task for Chesterfield is the same, we will need to rebuild. If you were making a retained list how many names would there be that are absolutely beyond argument? The only player to have taken a huge step forward this season is Gboly Ariyibi. He’s our one no-brainer.

That being the case we need carefully to consider which of our other players offer us an upwardly mobile future in whichever division our results locate us and look to recruit. Mr Mitchell has gone, but if we want to create a side capable of improvement there is no option for a club without great financial resources to take a chance on recruiting from the lower levels. We could easily bankrupt ourselves meeting the financial demands of de-motivated Championship players on the way down.

How complete a job Mr Mitchell was doing I’ve no idea, but just by keeping your eyes open on the web and to newspaper reports there are plenty of leads. In the league take Hartlepool, they have a player who struggles to get a place I’d have no doubt is worth a chance in Rhys Oates (from Barnsley), and they’ve also had an outstanding loanee in Adam Jackson at centre back. If Middlesbrough make the Premiership, will they want a 22 year old who is yet to break through? If they release him, this is an age-group international. We could found a defence on him, he’s the one player for whom I’d be willing to pay whatever proper fee we can afford.

In Non-League you don’t have to look far for potential talent. A defender whose reputation is growing in a side doing well is Sean Raggett at Dover, he’s only 21. But there are players with failing sides, due for relegation, well capable of functioning at a higher level. Welling United have Sam Corne, just 19, impressive enough for Chelsea to have taken a look, Xavier Vidal, 20, a thrusting midfielder, and in February they signed Luke Wanadio a winger we had on trial who gets some rave reviews and who says of himself that he just doesn’t shine in trials. Down at the bottom of the Conference too, Kidderminster, have players who surely won’t want to take a step down in Elton Ngwatala (who started out at Paris Saint Germaine), Arthur Gnahoua whose class has never taken him higher than he is, and Zain Francis Angol who was at Spurs and Motherwell.

A step down from unsuccessful Conference sides there are still players worth a throw of the dice. Brady Hickey at only 19, plays for Barwick Town and is known as the non-league Frank Lampard, which can’t be bad. At AFC Fylde there’s a useful young midfielder called Dion Charles who didn’t make it at Blackpool, but sounds as though he’s prepared to work to breakthrough to league football. And, of course, there’s no need to limit our search to England. We grabbed Eoin Doyle from Scotland. Faissal El Bakhtaoui from Dunfermline might fancy a move south, he’s scored a hatful of goals and his experience is limited, he hasn’t even played that much eleven a side – he was a futsal player – so he could even improve, and if Celtic and Rangers don’t make a grab ………

Me, being me, I have to find a real wild card. How about recruiting a player who has temporarily given up the game? Name, Joe Gaughan. He scored every week for Barnoldswick in Evo-Stickland, got recruited for Colne’s promotion drive, didn’t like it, still must have a contract there, but is sitting at home. Barnoldswick’s manager would love him back, they plunged after he left. He’s obviously a strange character, scored loads of goals out in New Zealand, then collected a huge ban for hitting somebody ….. even though the victim came out publicly to support Joe. Anyway, the upshot was Joe jacked it in and came back to England and Barnoldswick. No one else will be in for him. But he’s got the go both to play in New Zealand and to come back. He’s obviously got something if some wise old pro’ can get him onside; someone like Danny Wilson maybe?

So there you have it, I’ve not even looked at academy rejects, barely touched Scotland, not bothered with Wales, Northern Ireland or the Republic …... or even a local side like Ilkeston, who clubs like Crewe seem to keep a better eye on than us. The point is we don’t need to pay the earth in wages for an out-of-contract Championship player. If money weren’t an object I’d like to grab Reuben Reid from down at Plymouth …… but would he ask for big wages to move north? Fully-fit he’ll always score at our level, but in truth there’s more future in grabbing young Sam Chaney from Torquay for our midfield. And if we were planning a loanee ……. if West Ham are planning to loan Samuelsen out again next season, I’d promise him a regular game as opposed to the idiot Westley policy of plonking his arse on a Division One bench to no particular purpose.
Well Dev, Donny did hammer us but our last gasp defending (and a friendly ref) held out. I actually don't remember Tommy Lee having to make a save but my god it was painful to watch. A back 8 with no midfield and long ball punts up to 1 or 2 strikers (I think that's what they are called but cant remember what they are supposed to do) did nothing for the nerves and Boos were ringing out at half and full time. At least we earned a point and it should keep us up but I would prefer another before we go to Bradford.
Don't know where you get all the info on players and ex players Dev but have ever thought of becoming a scout? It was all reef knots and woggles when I last looked but Ive heard there's a vacancy at the Proact.
It doesn't take long to find leads on exciting players. Quick internet searches tell you a lot, the non-league paper, the league paper ....... Bit of research, goalscoring lists, young players sometimes have clips on YouTube ....... with a bit of direction a small club would only need to find exiled fans in different areas to go and have a first look at their leads ...... and get in quick.

League players will be coming out of contract at the end of the season. We ought to be ready. Personally Tafazolli at Mansfield appeals. He's huge, former Southampton Academy so he must have learnt something. Lanri Oyebanjo I think's the name, at Crawley - right back, ex York and Histon. Irish I think without checking - he'd do us. They'll cost nowt or next to it. Of course I'll be wrong about some of them, but one or two will be gems and you'll read about them being picked up by other league clubs after bargain talent.

I'm sure people in football would know most of the names, but they are where they are, because no-one gets it together to move them on up. We're too cautious and too bureaucratic and like most clubs by the time we move our target's moved too.

Sorry we were so bad against Donny. I want Blackpool to draw at Fleetwood and Donny to draw at home and we'll be safe. Blackpool would have to beat Wigan then to have a chance of catching us ..... but if we stay up we need players.
All those in favour of Devon as new scout? Thumb up 
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Seriously though Matt there's a lot anyone with a bit of research intelligence can find out about up-and-coming players. There are local papers everywhere with football reports and news. I think after seeing him in Evo-stick goalscoring lists, the Pendle Times, or something, told me about Joe Gaughan, then I found a newspaper report from New Zealand online. He's even included in some football management games as a New Zealand player. In themselves games are a source of information. Want to know how tall and heavy Sam Corne and Xavier Vidal of Welling United are? I could find out in seconds as I'm sure could you.

I concentrated on players with unsuccessful or obscure teams, because they do still have some good players and, particularly if their club is likely to go down, they may want to move on. If Joss Labadie at Dagenham weren't so prone to mistake opponents for lunch I'd be writing to Danny Wilson NOW and suggesting he give him a route back to league football at a decent level ........

Once you start looking it soon becomes obvious that a name you at best vaguely knew may be worth a bit more research. If it crops up in reports a few times, or someone bothers to write a whole article, an ex-pro manager says this boy could go higher, a team mate, instead of talking about himself, chooses to go on about the contribution this young lad is making ........ They're messages and we should be the ones reacting. Of course, you can't know how realistic a prospect is without a professional judgement in the end, but all ordinary fans have watched a game in which it is obvious one of the players absolutely stands out ...... you can see it in the attitude of the players round him for a start.

And sometimes you can be ahead of the game, take Elton Ngwatala, I'm pretty sure his Kidderminster contract is only to the end of the season. (They have no money anyway, so he wouldn't cost!) Even something like Soccer Manager still shows him as a player with his French team ...... but he's here. He's French so unless we leave the Common Market he's free to play here, he'll be a free agent, he's 22 and he started out at Paris St Germaine so he won't be an idiot. I don't know whether he might make Div One, but the club is full of men who would know - Bob Newton in the bar for a start never mind the guys with football responsibilities!

All it needs is a bit of work, research, the capacity to move quickly and make immediate decisions. A small club could set itself up to do that. Small organisations don't need to behave like bureaucracies, indeed they can't afford to. Contracts offered would reflect that, they'd be initially short, but with opportunities for extensions and higher rewards once players proved themselves.

It didn't take me long to come up with those names. They aren't unknowns, just slightly obscure, but that's where a club like Chesterfield might find a gem. Man Utd won't be looking there, they'll be too busy raiding Ajax's youth team. And yes ordinary fans could help the club uncover talent. Who didn't want to be a pro' and who wouldn't enjoy living the dream in later life through a name he recommended?
I would say a lot of league 1 and league 2 clubs will be looking at non-league players hoping to find the next Jamie Vardy and then sell him on for big money.

There a few good players in the Evo-Stik Northern Premier division who have either not been noticed or played league football but weren't given a chance.

A lot of League 1 and League 2 clubs look and do so extremely unsuccessfully and very conservatively. And yes they all want a Jamie Vardy, because it's an easy assumption that a guy who scores a one level will take a step up and do the same. Lee Gregory proved it's possible, but there are plenty of players who couldn't quite replicate their goal scoring at a higher level. What the clubs don't seem so keen to find for some reason is another Chris Smalling. Maybe they have to look beyond the goal scoring lists.
That's true Dev there are a few good defenders and midfielders in non-league. Ian Wright came from Non-league and so did Stuart Pearce and Alan Pardew.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »