Thread Rating:
Sigh of relief
What a shocker of a first half. We looked totally lost and like we wouldn't score again for the rest of the season. Rai spent most of the half running around like a headless chicken but at least he was putting effort in.
Come the second half and bang we looked like promotion contenders, 4 great goals and lots of effort. Whatever Danny said at halftime it certainly gave them a kick up the arse. O'Shea and Gbolly were just unplayable. Have been watching town for many a year now and I can honestly say I don't think I have ever seen 2 halves that contrasted so much. Lets hope Barnsley still have a hangover from Wembley next week, its still bloody close at the basement.
Good management I'd say. O'Shea, do you think he's always better after a kick up the arse? Being left out for a nineteen year old was maybe what he needed. Gboly, especially in away games where he gets space, has several times been reported as unplayable.

Sometimes young players like Rai try too hard to impress don't they? I fancy his willingness to shoot, not his enthusiasm to cover every blade at random. He needs game time to settle down?

The question O'Shea particularly and Gboly too should ask themselves is would they have made the same impact as starters ...... and if not why not?

I did think this was potentially our most winnable game. But after no shots on target over 2 Easter games and 0-1 at half time I was checking out runners and riders for Div 2 next season. Typically we then score 4.

Doncaster, Colchester and Crewe are down whether they know it or not. Doncaster need 4 wins from 6. Colchester 5, and Crewe can only get 48 points max which won't save them. Oldham need 3 wins from 8 games which if they'd been doing that all season they'd be where Scunthorpe are in the league. Fleetwood need 3 wins from 7 games, if they'd managed that all season they be around the play-offs. Blackpool would be safe with 2 wins from 5 which is the winning level of a Rochdale or Sheff Utd. On Tuesday night away wins for Peterborough and Swindon would be nice ....... but neither venue is particularly welcoming in early April when you've nothing to play for.

My only worry is we have to beat someone else .........
The good thing about yesterdays win is that we brought Shrewsbury back into the mix so its now 5 teams for 1 position or possibly 6 teams for 2 positions if you include Donny .
Like the Shrewsbury game it was a case of everything we hit went in but at least we actually made the effort to score second half.
I agree that its a dilemna with Jay and Gboly because neither seem to perform to their best when starting, but yesterdays first half team just wasn't good enough
The big weak link in the team is centre mid where both Banks and Liddle just aren't the answer in a 4 4 2.Vale's second goal was awful with their guy running about 40 yards through the centre of the pitch with no challenge before laying the ball off.
I don't blame the defence at all they have no cover in front of them ,I thought all 4 did well considering.
Next win more likely to be Doncaster at home but like Dancing says if Barnsley beat Oxford in the JPT they could have a bit of a Wembley hangover next Saturday. What I find odd is last season we played Barnsley away on Grand National Day and this season we are playing Barnsley away on Grand National Day.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Our back 4 get no protection whatsoever from our midfield. When we start 4-4-2 we end up with a flat back 8 the midfield pull so deep. Danny switched to 4-1-4-1 for the second half with Liddle pushing forward and that made one hell of a difference. Barnsley Sheff U and Donny next 3 games how many points from those 3 ? Barnsley and Sheff U pushing for the playoffs and a possible all out relegation scrap with Donny - brings a shiver to the spine. If we won all 3 I would join Blue in a naked streak down any street of his chosing but think we will be lucky to get 3 points out of 9.
Sheff Utd's chances of reaching the play-offs are as poor as Doncaster's chances of reaching safety. They'd have to perform with a sudden consistency they've lacked all season.

My worry is Sheff Utd will be better once nobody expects anything of them, but they do urgently need a new manager ......

Donny in terms of their players should be mid-table. But they haven't been a team and haven't had a manager either all season .........

I can't see any of of our remaining fixtures as a win, but then we only need one.

If our midfield is as permanently wide open as you all say my suggestion would be to pick a young defender in that role. Laurence Maguire has to make a debut sometime, why not tackling in front of the back four. His record in the reserves also suggests he's a danger up the other end at dead-ball situations.
So Oldham beat Swindon 2-0 and Fleetwood beat Peterborough 2-0. We didn't need that as there is only 2 pts separating us and 21st now. Could do with another 3 wins because Notts County and Crawley both went down last season on 50pts.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »