Thread Rating:
F1 - new safety feature
So F1 is introducing a new safety feature around the cockpit designed to save drivers' lives. Unfortunately Lewis Hamilton is against it, not because he questions its effectiveness, but because it won't look 'cool' enough for him. Prize muppet.

Mind you, he's not the only one, and it says a lot about the sheer preening vanity of him and one or two of the other drivers that their main concern in the sport seems to be how pretty their cars look above anything else. Me, I love a bit of F1, but I can't stand some of the figures who take part in it.
I suppose F1 and other racing drivers have always been very image conscious, it is a sport where not only do they want to look good but the car has to look good as well!! I do think they are sometimes trying to make an inherently dangerous sport too safe with some of the things they do, but one like this that really doesn't effect the performance of the car or driver so shouldn't cause any issues.
What you say about it not affecting performance is what rankles for me. Making changes that limit the speed of the cars for example does run contrary to what the sport is all about. But when something doesn't affect car or driver performance at all, and could potentially save lives when something goes wrong, for drivers to say they don't want that just because they're worried about the aesthetic impact is pretty moronic. It boils down to 'I'd rather have my head taken off by a piece of debris than give up my go-faster stripes'.
Correct, I don't want to make F1 cars into armored vehicles but this seems a very innovative feature for what is a rare but deadly potential incident. On the other hand though, I do wish they would get the tyres sorted so that the cars can run on the edge during the race rather than having to nurse the tyres all the time!!!
El Car likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »