Thread Rating:
Replays
I like the last idea,SCO.
(21-02-2016, 23:59)St Charles Owl Wrote: I actually have no problem with what Man City did today, this situation was caused by the tv companies insisting that their game be played on Sunday when they have to travel to Kiev for their CL game 3 days later!!  Had this game been played on Saturday then I think they would have played a few other first team players.  I also don't think this is just a PL thing, we did it against Shrewsbury with 10 changes, and lost I might add, Hull made the same number yesterday as well.  The rewards for Championship clubs chasing promotion means the FA cup is possibly even more of a distraction for them than it is prem teams!!

I have just heard on a BBC podcast a couple of ideas that may work.  First was to have replays up to the 4th round only, that way the  smaller clubs like Shrewsbury or Exeter this year would have their chance of lucrative replays but in all likelihood by the time you get to the 5th round then the smaller clubs will have been knocked out.

The other idea was to play extra time if level after 90 mins in the first game.  This would increase the chances of a winner and allow teams to go for it.  If its still tied after 120 mins then it goes to a replay, but I am sure this would reduce the number of replays overall.

This might sound barmy but what if the FA let both teams decide. Lets say York City are at home to Arsenal and its 0-0 after 90 minutes why don't they get both managers and owners/Chairman etc to talk before the game about whether they want a replay or play Extra time and penalties.

Another idea I heard was if the game is level after 90 minutes play penalties which is a lottery but is it fair?
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Personally I hate penalties as a way of deciding a winner but I also recognize that there isn't any other alternative. On that basis I want to see at least 120 mins play before it is decided by pens. I do like the idea of playing extra time after the first game if its a draw on 90 mins, but I think there would have to be a set rule or else managers will use the decision making process before the game tactically or as a way of getting one over the other manager.
I'd have a bit more sympathy (and for the winter break too) if the EPL teams didn't fly round the world to play 'prestigious' friendlies at every opportunity Cool
and complicated
(22-02-2016, 01:21)St Charles Owl Wrote: Personally I hate penalties as a way of deciding a winner but I also recognize that there isn't any other alternative.  On that basis I want to see at least 120 mins play before it is decided by pens.  I do like the idea of playing extra time after the first game if its a draw on 90 mins, but I think there would have to be a set rule or else managers will use the decision making process before the game tactically or as a way of getting one over the other manager.

When I was a playing as a schoolboy a lot of tournaments were decided on corners if the scores were level at full time. Just a thought  Cool
and complicated
I created this thread nearly 4 years ago and nearly 4 years on the argument is still going on and it seems to be gaining traction what with Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp moaning about replays. Klopp has said in the replay against Shrewsbury that they will be playing the U23s and he won't be managing the team either.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Four years? Blimey! Tongue

I can see where Kloppo's coming from but don't agree with him. Maybe they could do similar to the League Cup and those still in Europe and the League Cup semis get a bye to the 4th round, but that would be difficult to level up the numbers. The trouble is that the Champions League has just got too big. And they're even talking about extending it.  Doh

Scrapping the League Cup altogether has been suggested, but why? Smaller clubs also get extra revenue from that as they do with FA Cup replays. What would help is to reduce the Premier League to 18 clubs, as it was supposed to be in the first place, but clubs wouldn't vote for that now, would they? Whistle

No, I can't see the situation changing soon and Liverpool's attitude to the FA Cup will continue. It's nowt new though. Man Utd went off to play in some far off tournament years ago, demanding a bye to the next round. We're just going to have to accept that the big clubs, not so big clubs and now small clubs as well are all going to play reserves in the FA Cup.
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
The bizarre thing about this is the "break" the Pl put into the season so that clubs could have approx 14 days between games in February. Clubs agreed not to arrange high profile friendlies or do any foreign trips that include games, and then the FA schedule the Round 4 replays for that same week!!!! That's why Klopp is saying he nor his first team will be there, they are sticking to the break arranged by the PL.

With regards to replays, I want them to stay but not for the competition between a lower league team against a PL team but for the revenue a replay can generate for that lower league club. Most of the time the lower league team only has one chance to create a shock, and generally its not in the replay but in the first game. If replays were done away with maybe when a PL team is drawn against a League 1 or below team, then lets give the lower team the option of playing that game at home or away??
Bit of history from yours truly I think I was at the last ever cup game that went to a second replay Morecambe v Lancaster.
On games played this season Liverpool have played 38 Shrewsbury 36.
Sensible solution would be for the big clubs to actually play their first team win the game and then there would be no need for replays
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Improvements to football:-

1. Take all the Premier League Teams out of the League Cup and scrap the Checkatrade/JohnsonsPaint/NiveaCream/Caracas Trophy with its crowds of below 1,000.
2. Institute a Premier League Trophy in which teams have to play at least 6 players aged UNDER 23.
3. Make Five Divisions of 20 instead of the current idiot structure, and below that reduce the National League to regionalised divisions of 20.
4. With fewer non-league fixtures National League teams could be brought into the FA Cup earlier so that Qualifying could end earlier and thus the First Round Proper could get under way earlier too. This might mean getting a little tougher on minnows before they are allowed to enter the competition.
5. Byes to the third round of the Cup should be available ONLY to the sides who have performed best in the competition over the past five seasons irrespective of their division (a points system could be used taking into account losing to lower league opposition or beating teams from higher up). This would encourage teams to field a side likely to win games. Why should permanent non-triers be allowed to devalue the cup by fielding reserve teams in the third round every year?
6. When FA Cup games result in a draw after 90 minutes reduce the finishing sides by two men a-piece and play up to 45 minutes extra until a Goalden FA Cup goal is scored ending the match. Only if no Golden Goal is scored would a replay occur. Institute this throughout the Qualifying Rounds too as evening replays clog up the non-league scene too for part-time players.
7. Award THREE bonus points in League Football to each of the four clubs qualifying for the FA Cup Semi Finals. If a club outside the Premiership reaches that stage double the award to SIX.

Of course the real answer would be weld the FA and the Premier League together …. so that we might see a mid-season break which was respected and Liverpool might not be so keen to sacrifice a miniature Japanese forward to Shrewsbury defenders keen to treat him as sushi.
Lord Snooty likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »