Thread Rating:
Scottish League Cup semi-final - Hibs v St Johnstone
This is the start of a crucial fortnight for Hibs in terms of maintaining interest and momentum in the cup tourneys - just stay positive and keep winning matches Hibs! Thumb up  The first of two games at Tynecastle is v the Perth Saints who will be tricky opponents even though their recent form has been indifferent. No doubt, they will 'raise their game'. However, it's interesting to note that Tynecastle is not one of their 'happy hunting grounds' when it comes to crucial matches played at this venue and here's hoping it continues. Personally, I'm not too interested in winning the League Cup (seen it won before on a number of occasions!) but it would be good for our younger fans + a final appearance for Hibs would generate welcome revenue for the club and vindicate Leeann Dempster's stance to hold to Premiership prices and wages. In a sell-out game, Hibs fans will hold the bulk of the tickets. So the guys will certainly be given solid support and encouragement throughout this match - should be an electric atmosphere! Stubbs will likely field his strongest side but what will it be? Is Anthony Stokes eligible for this cup tie? Also will Stubbsy still rotate players anyway as he does have various positional options to ponder? All will be revealed on Saturday.
Re Saint Johnstone, I think all the talk covers the situation re Michael O'Halloran and the threat he poses to Hibs. My hunch is the Saints' manager will sell the player if they lose this semi-final but that is not certain either. I'd still be wary of ex-Hibees, Liam Craig and Wotherspoon, a product of the Hibs Academy!

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
I'm always interested in winning a Cup - or a League. If we're not bothered about winning, we shouldn't be there. Alan Stubbs should be picking a team that is strong enough to win every game, and we have the players to do it.

Tommy Wright is quoted as saying that Hibs are favourites to win the tie, but we've all heard that old chestnut. Apparently we're scoring plenty of goals - which games has he been watching? Certainly we're scoring enough to win dour, gritty games and this could be one of them. I'll be expecting a one-goal win for Hibs, perhaps even after penalties.

Re O'Halloran, we'll be facing him sometime, either on Saturday or on 5 March, maybe even both.

PS - Stokes was on the bench for Celtic against Raith Rovers, but didn't play, so he should be available.
Cabbage is still good for you
Malonga has left on a free.... can't say i'm that fussed.As you all know i was never much of a fan.

As for SJ - wright is at the mind games. Ignore. On the other hand it sounds like o'halloran is deffo playing at the weekend.
No half measures with Dom - he was either brilliant or terrible. Unfortunately he was never quite good enough, but when he was on song, he could get the crowd going. Good luck to him.
His touch was decent enough but he was the most frustrating and slow thinking of players.
ritchiebaby likes this post
IMO Malonga was a striking option and he did have the ability to score goals but did not do enough - not dynamic enough! His best goal scored during this season was that great solo second goal v the Dons in the league cup tie at ER. I'm guessing Stubbs is freeing up more wages to suit his Jan signing spree!
Re winning the League Cup, I certainly wouldn't scoff at winning the trophy and what about winning an unlikely cup double eh? That would be something! Like many other Hibs fans, I'd like to see Hibs winning another trophy other than the league cup TBF. After decade and decade of watching Hibs it would've been nice to see that healthy variation rather than winning the same trophy roughly every 15-20 years!! Maybe that will change some day but I'm sure many veteran Hibs fans share exactly the same view re so many predictable disappointments and 'near miss' ones down the years.
ritchiebaby and hibeejim21 like this post
(25-01-2016, 23:46)hibeejim21 Wrote: Malonga has left on a free.... can't say i'm that fussed.As you all know i was never much of a fan.

As for SJ - wright is at  the mind games. Ignore. On the other hand it sounds like o'halloran is deffo playing at the weekend.

Dom joins another Serie B club, Vercelli 1892, for an undisclosed fee.
Good luck to him.
I see Tommy Wright is playing the downtrodden underdogs card for all it's worth. We won't be falling for that. If they want to be down the ladder, let's keep them there. GGTTH
Aye! He's not had a direct 'go' at Hibs but 'pointing the finger of blame' at the SPFL and it's officials treating the Saints as second class citizens with ticket allocations etc! So in his eyes, we're the favourites for this match and they are a downtrodden bunch! Cool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »