Thread Rating:
West Ham vs WBA - Match Thread
[Image: DSC_0072.jpg]

A solitary figure in an East End tower block watches Albion play West Ham in the League Cup final from their window; the Boleyn Ground, 9th March 1966

An unexpected, hard-fought and thoroughly welcome win last weekend has taken some of the pressure off Albion in a tough month.  Where, on paper, this weekend's trip to east London might have seen us desperate for a point to stop the rot, instead we're travelling down knowing that a decent performance and hopefully a result to match will keep us ticking over nicely as we head into winter.  After their best-ever start to a Premier League season, things have slowed down for West Ham over the last month - the loss of Dimitri Payet to injury possibly throwing a spanner in the works - and though they remain high-flyers in sixth place, only four points separate the Hammers from Albion.  Last week's mauling at Spurs will no doubt have rubbed salt in the wound, and they'll be eager for a win to turn things around.

[Image: DSC_0070.jpg]

Tony Brown and Eddie Bovington battle for an aerial ball; the Boleyn Ground, 8th February 1967

This will, of course, also be Albion's last ever trip to Upton Park.  I won't say anything about West Ham, their new stadium and the sickening crony-fuelled lunacy of modern football here, because my blood pressure could do without it.  However, over a century since our first visit in 1913, it'll be a sad moment to see another stadium - a regular destination on our itinerary, and the scene of some great Albion heroics through the decades - follow the likes of Ayresome, Roker, Burnden, the Baseball Ground, Filbert Street, Highfield Road, Maine Road, Highbury and countless others up and down the leagues, into the sentimental roll call of obsolescence.  As a notable West Ham fan once said: here comes the future, and you can't run from it.

Incidentally, that first trip to the Boleyn Ground in 1913 finished in a draw, which has tended to be the usual outcome in our recent visits too.  It'd be a shame to break the tradition, wouldn't it?

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

Rob Hulse's brace kick-starts Albion's rampage from 3-0 down to winning 4-3; the Boleyn Ground, 8th November 2003
drewks, aries22, talkSAFT And 2 others like this post
I think we have plenty of reason to be confident for this one. West Ham are at their best in away games countering better teams, so our style of play won't play into their hands. They're not the same without Payet and they lost heavily last week. Berahino has a good record against West Ham so I think he'll score in this one, it's been a while since his last goal. Is McAuley back from suspension for this one or does he have another 2 games?

Brunt is suspended which is a blow and i'd rather not think about who will replace him. I think we'll get at least a point from this one.
I believe that McAuley's suspension was for one game only, so he should be back.

A repeat of our second leg League Cup Final win in 1967 would be very welcome but then, 'pigs might fly' Whistle

KEEP THE FAITH!!
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
This looks like a great game .............. to avoid

Albion play very very deep allowing opponents plenty of possession, West Ham play counter attacking football.

Picture the scene ......... Albion in two banks of four on our 18 yard line, West Ham sitting back in their final third waiting to counter when our attacks break down.

Reminiscent of world war one........ two opposing armies in their trenches firing shells at each other from distance. This game may need us to get Andy Murray to play for us, he is quite good playing off the base line.

Anyone betting on nil nil and last on motd.

Hoping for a win ...... Come on you Baggies.
Hate us playing on a Sunday, makes Saturday a football wilderness.
Still at least it's on the tele.
Who plays LB is key for me. Would love it to be Poco and for him to play a blinder but fear TP will pick Chester or McClean there.
Really hoping that McClean carries on his good form and think if we can get crosses in for Rondon he will score goals.
On a separate note the 80 year old guy who had a heart attack and sadly died at hospital at the Arsenal game sat about 15 seats away from me.
Puts things into perspective. Didn't know him but rip buddy.
Sad
C O Y B
aries22 likes this post
I'm on row LL seat 200 so was by that incident too. That's such a shame and I will also add an RIP for him.

RIP and Boing Boing to you.
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
World class,
Our excellent stewards and St. John's guys got a pulse so as I was leaving saw the Ambo pulling into the Astle gates so thought everything was OK.
Maybe his age meant the trauma was too much ?
At least he would have known the result and went out doing what he loved.
Sad to see one of our own pass away and it really makes you realise to live each day as it goes.
Going 2moro, coach leaves at 6.15am!
Villa Laugh
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(28-11-2015, 19:42)Beefy 1965 Wrote: Villa  Laugh

Don't be so bloody cruel Beefy
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »