Thread Rating:
Your 3 Best and worst Beatles songs?
Just thought this topic needed sorting after watching that pile of crap the other night when the likes of Hey Jude and Yesterday
were voted best Beatles songs, iam guessing the poll was from a load of clueless Sun readers.

3 best:

Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Rain

3 Worst:

Back In The USSR
Yellow Submarine
Yesterday
I like your best 3, Rainbow. You should have asked for 10 Best & Worst, because it's such a vast catalogue, and it depends what mood you're in.

Today at 3pm my Best are:-

I'm Only Sleeping
Baby It's You
In My Life

Worst are:-

O Bla Di
Your Mother Should Know
Octopus's Garden

("Yellow Submarine" must be everyone's worst, but we all used to sing "We all live at the Brummie Road End" back in the day. Ha)
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
Yesterday is one of the most covered songs in music history, it's been performed over 7 million times, it was voted the best song of the 20th century by a BBC2 radio poll, and it was voted the best pop song of all time by MTV and Rolling Stone magazine.
(13-11-2015, 17:13)talkSAFT Wrote: O Bla Di

Baffles me when I hear Beatles fans disparaging that song (you're not the first).  It was a homage to the ska sound which was just starting to make the airwaves in this country: "Desmond" is a nod to Desmond Dekker, and "Molly" was Millie Small of My Boy Lollipop fame.  I don't know of any other band who pre-empted them in copying that sound, so you can legitimately argue that Obla Di Obla Da is the first instance of blending British pop with Jamaican ska/reggae; a tradition which ended up influencing damn near every band worth listening to for the next forty-odd years Whistle
was never a fan of the Beatles
overrated in my book

but they did knock out some half decent tunes

best 3

Hey Jude
A Day In The Life
Back In The USSR

Worst 3

Love Me Do
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Yellow Submarine
@Kristien 1965
Best 3:-

Hey Jude
With a little help from my friends (esp. the Joe Cocker version)
Penny Lane.

Worst 3
Yellow Submarine (inevitably)
I am the Walrus. ( what the h##l was that all about)
Come together.
aries22 likes this post
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
(13-11-2015, 18:57)SkadForLife-WBA Wrote:
(13-11-2015, 17:13)talkSAFT Wrote: O Bla Di

Baffles me when I hear Beatles fans disparaging that song (you're not the first).  It was a homage to the ska sound which was just starting to make the airwaves in this country: "Desmond" is a nod to Desmond Dekker, and "Molly" was Millie Small of My Boy Lollipop fame.  I don't know of any other band who pre-empted them in copying that sound, so you can legitimately argue that Obla Di Obla Da is the first instance of blending British pop with Jamaican ska/reggae; a tradition which ended up influencing damn near every band worth listening to for the next forty-odd years Whistle

To be honest, Ska'd, I never listened too carefully to the words - I just thought it was their token silly song, which Paul managed to squeeze onto each album. Go back about 3 years earlier, though, and "She's a Woman" had the hint of Bluebeat about it, about the same time as Millie.

This morning my Top 3 are:-

Old Brown Shoe
Something
Within You Without You
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
Just listened to She's A Woman, and it sounds a lot more like New Orleans R&B to me; which, of course, is what bluebeat originated from! I suppose they were just completing the triangle there.
My best three are Penny Lane, Eleanor Rigby and Here Comes the Sun. Their best three covers are Act Naturally, Roll Over Beethoven and Words of Love.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »