Thread Rating:
Match Thread - The Owls v Arsenal (LC)
Watching Wednesday lose at Exeter, Doncaster & Bury, you sometimes ask the question, "Why do I give so much of my time and money to Sheffield Wednesday?"

Nights like this are the payoff for years of watching rubbish players losing to rubbish teams.

The atmosphere was crackling and even before kick off, you felt that maybe it could be a special night. Already bereft of Westwood, Turner, Matias, Lopez & Sougou, CC went for pretty much his strongest team. Arsenal rested Sanchez & Cazorla but still fielded a team with over 400 International caps.

The first 25 minutes were pretty much a non-event in terms of goal mouth action but it allowed us to grow into the match & build our confidence. The opening goal was the first chance of the game and was beautifully worked with Joao & Bannan setting Pudil clear down the left. He picked out Wallace perfectly, who drilled it in from 18 yards.

The celebrations were amazing and it wasn't long before we were celebrating again. Helan took on the entire Arsenal defence, running from the half way line and was only thwarted by a smart save by Cech, low to his right. However, from the corner it was 2-0. Bannan cut the ball back to Wallace, who curled it in and Joao headed home. It looked so simple but relied on an excellent ball by Wallace and Joao's ability to lose his man then hit the target. Cue more celebrations!

The expected Arsenal pressure at the beginning of the second half just didn't materialise as Hutchinson, Bannan, Helan & Lee controlled midfield for Wednesday. Sure, Arsenal had plenty of possession but they were creating nothing and we looked the more likely scorers.

The third goal came from a free kick. Bannan beautifully picked out Lees beyond the far post, who sidefoot volleyed it across the six yard box for Hutchinson to bundle it in at the far post. Well worked, super technique from Lees and great desire from Hutchinson.

After that, it was a question of seeing the match out. Arsenal's only effort of note was a Mertesacker header which Wildsmith tipped behind. Our back four were forced into action a couple of times late on as our midfield tired but Lees twice put in saving tackles and Helan made a couple of blocks.

Wildsmith - 7 - only one save to make but controlled his box
Hunt - 7 - rarely under threat
Lees - 9 - giant and set up third goal
Loovens - 8 - looking back to his best
Pudil - 8 - ran himself to a stand still, set up first goal
Hutchinson - 10 - best player on the pitch, ran midfield & scored a goal, maybe lucky with first half tackle
Lee - 8 - did a tidy job linking play, never looked out of his depth
Bannan - 9 - ran himself to a stop, involved in all three goals
Wallace - 9 - scored one & made one
Helan - 8 - best game for Wednesday, filled gaps well and attacked with pace. Maybe he can make it with proper coaching
Joao - 9 - looked a threat against an international back four, scored one & close with another
.................................................................................

Full marks to CC. He worked out a plan & his players executed it pretty much perfectly. Picking Helan ahead of more obvious choices was genius as is his favouring of Joao over Nuhiu. Hutchinson, Bannan & Lee is a formidable CM unit because of their high energy levels and ability to attack & defend as a unit. This meant that our defence were rarely under serious threat until the final few minutes even with Giroud around.

A glorious night, as good as any I can remember at S6 - a reward for the loyal fans that have been there week in, week out. Hopefully some of the fans that don't normally go will be turned on enough by last night to be there again to support us against Forest.

CC does have to decide when to rest some of his players & probably needs to rest some on Saturday and others next Tuesday to maximise our chances of winning each match. Bannan, Hutchinson & Pudil were all out on their feet last night while Lee, Wallace & Hunt were blowing hard. He will have to decide who to rest and who have to go again although Hutchinson will get a two game enforced rest after his next yellow card.

Let's hope for more nights like this!
Thurnscoe_OWL, Jacko The Flopsy Piglet, Towinjustonce And 6 others like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
What a night. What a buzz. Had difficulty getting to sleep last night after all the excitement! Still on a high today.

I can only echo what most people have said on here already, apart from Imre's downer on Helan. I thought he had one of his better games, it's his inconsistency that will mean he gets left behind as we progress but I couldn't fault him last night. The whole team were magnificent, the crowd was awesome, even the Arsenal fans kept going even after it became clear they were on a hiding to nothing.

Took my nephew to his first night match last night and there were times when he was transfixed by what was going on on the pitch and also in the stands. He looked at me like I'd gone mad a few times when I got carried away after the goals and joining in with the singing and bouncing. Best night in S6 for many a year. Hope it's not the last and we don't have to wait twenty odd years until the next one.
You know nothing, Jacko
Helan's still a bit of a rough diamond. His pace and acceleration is frightening to opposition defenders and he can close them down applying pressure which forces mistakes.

I agree that up until this season Helan has been pants, similarly though so have players such as Hutch & Lee at times.

Since CC has taken over there's absolutely no doubt that all these players whom were under-performing are now showing their true potential. Many of us felt SG & DJ tactics and formations stifled a lot of players from their capabilities. Not to mention the woefully negative tactics with players used out of position.

Helans purpose last night ( I think) was to push them back on the counter, and he did. I think that shot he had that produced a corner, at the time he has 2-3 Arsenal defenders on him and produced an on target shot. He's turning in to a decent squad player. He either continues to improve or we replace him.
Players will realise now that we're not just a club that pays you to show up regardless anymore. We can afford to replace you if you're shit and trying to pull a Bothroyd.

To quote a shit song " Things can only get better" Laugh
madsteve likes this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Quarter final draw tonight, we are ball no.3.
Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so. For glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.
Don't really care who we get in the next round as long as its a home draw again. Seeing Hillsborough full (aside from the stupid amount of seats empty to give SYP nothing to do!!!) is a sight we have forgotten over the last 15 years and another home draw will give us the chance to do it again, winning more fans back on a regular basis in the process.
madsteve likes this post
Really happy for young Wildsmith too. That sort of exposure is important to a young player, especially if he's to break into the National side.

The back four protected him superbly also.
Imre varadi likes this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
i want manutd or liverpool at home and after watching last nights game they will both be a piece of piss !! what we do nead to avoid is boring xxxx kick and rush teams like everton or stoke !!!

o and i dont want mancity or palace or southampton !!!

Thats what i want manutd or liverpool at home !!

mancity winning !! liverpool winning !!!

whos doing the draw ? does anyone have a link ???
The Capital One Cup Quarter-Final draw will be made on Wednesday night live on Sky Sports following the conclusion of Liverpool v AFC Bournemouth.

LFC v AFC is on here... http://goatd.net/index.html

LATEST
Liverpool 1 Bournemouth 0 77 mins
Man City 3 Crystal Palace 0 74 mins
Southampton 2 Aston Villa 0 77 mins
Man Utd 0 Middlesbrough 0 62 mins
this site is currently offline ?
The scousers are through 1-0 as are Citeh 5-1 Soton finish 2-1 Manure Boro is still 0-0

ET at OT
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »