Thread Rating:
Dissing Saloman
Just seen Matt Le Tiss has been dissing do Ron rondon, reckons we have overpaid for him, does not think he has been playing to a £12 million standard. I agree that he has had a slow start, he is in a new country with a different style / speed of football, he is also playing in a new formation of 9 0 1, he needs easy jet to get him along side the midfield who are so far back they need a passport to link up with him. His touch is rusty but balls are hard to control when covered in snow or fired at you from a different continent. I am sure he is worth the money and if we play the right kind of football he will get results, Bobby had the same problems last year, no service and therefore no results.
"...overpaid for him"? - that's a tough one, because money has been thrown about like confetti; you daren't NOT spend it because falling out of the Prem will be an absolute disaster for any Club. I'm sure the Magpies and Mackems will spend spend spend in January. It's a farce!

So when we pay £12m it's the same as paying £6m a year ago.

I'm not dissing Rondon, because he's eager to please, and runs his socks off, but I just don't think he's quality, and someone like Matt Le Tiss is well qualified to agree. It's not Salomon's fault that his touch is very poor, and it would be just as poor if he got the service he'd like.
Jeff Astle's touch was about the same, and he was about the same size - maybe less mobile - but he became an absolute legend because he did what he was good at, and the Coaches worked hard to get the best out of him. Let's just hope that the current Coaches don't just write Salomon off because of their own ineptitude.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
(08-10-2015, 16:53)talkSAFT Wrote: "...overpaid for him"?   -  that's a tough one, because money has been thrown about like confetti; you daren't NOT spend it because falling out of the Prem will be an absolute disaster for any Club. I'm sure the Magpies and Mackems will spend spend spend in January. It's a farce!

So when we pay £12m it's the same as paying £6m a year ago.

I'm not dissing Rondon, because he's eager to please, and runs his socks off, but I just don't think he's quality, and someone like Matt Le Tiss is well qualified to agree. It's not Salomon's fault that his touch is very poor, and it would be just as poor if he got the service he'd like.
Jeff Astle's touch was about the same, and he was about the same size - maybe less mobile - but he became an absolute legend because he did what he was good at, and the Coaches worked hard to get the best out of him. Let's just hope that the current Coaches don't just write Salomon off because of their own ineptitude.
Wise words, although I still feel it is easier to control a ball passed to you from a player standing in the same county as him rather than our current intercontinental passes blasted at him from miles away, players pushing up with him would also give defenders more to think about and therefore give Salomon more time and space to show what he can do. I have always preferred to feet football with attacking speedy exciting wide players ........ maybe some day if we can balance the squad.
talkSAFT likes this post
For me the excuse of a "Rusty Touch" doesnt wash.

Professional Footballer that trains all week, and plays one game.

Whether you are sat on a bench for 45 minutes or not you dont just lose you ability.

Remeber these people we are watching have beaten thousands of other young lads to make it as a professional, yet get the simplest of things wrong.

this isnt a direct dig at Rondon, more of a dismissal of poor excuses for the best of the best footballers which apparently these lot are in the grand scheme of things
(08-10-2015, 18:08)devwakey Wrote: For me the excuse of a "Rusty Touch" doesnt wash.

Professional Footballer that trains all week, and plays one game.

Whether you are sat on a bench for 45 minutes or not you dont just lose you ability.

Remeber these people we are watching have beaten thousands of other young lads to make it as a professional, yet get the simplest of things wrong.

this isnt a direct dig at Rondon, more of a dismissal of poor excuses for the best of the best footballers which apparently these lot are in the grand scheme of things

Again I can not disagree with your comments the best of the best can do their jobs especially with the training they do however I did not mention rusty touch, trying to stop a ball passed across ten yards is easier than controlling a pass from a midfielder fifty yards away whilst outnumbered by under occupied defenders dealing with a lone attacking player
When was the last time Rondon got a decent cross ?
First 30 seconds against villa I think.
Will judge him when he gets some decent supply.
Loved Ideye for his effort but he missed chances.
4evaabaggie and BC Baggie like this post
Who was better Ideye or Shane Long ? Long all day for me so why we sold him still baffles me. Might not have scored enough but still got 8 or so league goals and worked his socks off.
Another great decision by our scouts.
Doh

Forgot about the biscuit man but his record speaks for itself.
Another quality signing by the recruitment team...
Angry
drewks likes this post
Yeh, I always liked Long too, although he was never quite the same after the assault by the thug Hutton.
I'll never forget the run and sublime cross for Jimmy's headed goal (v QPR I think) a couple of years ago.
OK we could've done with a few more goals from him but IMO his work rate and all round game were excellent
Drewks,
At the time I thought Long didn't score enough and we could buy better but the biscuit man and Ideye both failed to prove better than him.
You are bang on bud he was never the same after that Hutton assault but always scored against the villa !
Can't forgive him for diving to get a penalty away at Hull but that's football I guess.
Thumb up
Rondon gets 1 half chance every 2 matches. 0 at Watford when he came on, 1 at Stoke, goal. 0 at palace, 1 at home to saints where he probably should of done better. 0 vs Chelsea, one header in the cup vs Vale....

He's probably trying so hard to score that the one at saints would of gone in if he already had a few, and he wasn't running constantly all game. He's also probably shattered with no midfielders closing them down, and pulling at everything because he knows he's going to get no crosses, no supply, and the next time he gets a chance is probably going to get something is going to be 135 minutes later..

I just hope he gets another couple soon, so his head doesn't drop, otherwise I'm sure we will see gardener or someone like that who can "put a shift in" upfront.....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »