Thread Rating:
On the Eve of the season
I am feeling surprisingly optimistic.I think and hope we will get a result tomorrow and silence these absolute morons who are wallowing in our apparent demise.
The squad we have at the moment ,whilst lacking perhaps a couple of highest quality players is easily good enough to handle this league and if Saunders can get the right players in who knows what could happen
I certainly think the Clucas deal was the deal of the century for us,Ill be honest ,I didn't buy into the fact that he was an exceptional player for us and never in my wildest dreams did I think we would get 1.3 million for him ,good yes and versatile too but the fact that in my opinion he was better at left back says it all for me and I really think he will struggle to establish himself in the Hull team.Tendayi on the other hand will do well at that level and out of the two will go on to be the more succesfull player.
We have 23 good players some with real potential and all this doom and gloom gets me down enough for me to stop reading the message board as its the same people raising their ugly heads every time something apparently isn't right.
I could actually listen to what they have to say if they redressed the balance and gave credit when credits due but they never do and I've decided its an ego thing with them ,they obviously lead suppressed lives and the board is an easy and safe way to let out some venom.
I've bought my Sheff U tickets and am looking forward to tomorrows game and if we lose 3 or 4-0 I will hold my hands up and say I was wrong about the squad. But if we win well I wonder how many of the critics will hold their hands up and say maybe they might have over reacted.
I think we've got enough to see off Barnsley tomorrow and who knows if we get 1 or 2 good results with the players we've got then confidence and morale might be high and we could kick on from that.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Don't get me wrong Matt I'm not saying this squad will walk this league I just don't think its as bad as some make out and I really do think some good players will be signed to push us on .
I think we just have to wait and see. It is a little worrying how we've not signed any new players bar from SEB and the youngsters but like Saunders said no point in buying players for the sake of it. Will we go up? Probably not. Finish mid-table? More than likely. Get relegated? possible but there's another 23 teams in L1 who could get relegated. It's going to be a long season with ups, downs, twists and turns but as a Chesterfield fan I don't think I would have it any other way.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
I think tomorrow will show we do need to bring in players. But then I think Barnsley may be pushing for top six.

The truth is we didn't have much option as far as the sales go. We lost Roberts and Ryan because they wanted to go and could. I'm sure we'll miss Clucas's versatility terribly, but we couldn't expect much more than we got. Tendayi WILL be a snip for Burnley, but he too wanted to go.

Our problem (or not) is we haven't recruited names to replace names. But good teams aren't always composed of big names. Their names grow as and when the team succeeds.
Totally agree Dev.
Id never heard of most of our valued players when we signed them and I'm sure we will discover some more as we go along .I hope we become renowned as a production line for developing young players and making money out of them .
This Jack Payne guy is exactly the sort of player we should be looking at ,well thought of, young and talented yet affordable.
Well Pooch you were amazingly right about the result. A tipster in today's Racing Post was going for Barnsley to be top dogs in the division .......

Lower division names might cost us quite a bit ...... and if they come down from the Championship we have to convince them we are worthy of their skills. (And as Orient found out last season Championship players are no guarantee of Division 1 success.)

I still think we do need defensive and midfield cover. And as you've said all along keeping Morsy is vital. But expenditure alone doesn't necessarily build a team as Rotherham 1-4 MKD proved today.
Great day, we won comfortably, blades got hammered and them and the millers moaning on the radio.
Good team performance. Dan Gardner stepped up to the plate today. Ariyiby was just superb and I can smell another £1million coming our way. Morsy was just typical Morsy, bossed midfield but my god he was lucky with one of his tackles in the second half. If the ref had been the same side as me he could have walked. We were by far the better side and Barnsley looked dead in the last 30 mins.
Only negative would be Banks. He looked off the pace and just doesn't seem to be 100% there. He gives silly balls away and seems to hide at times. But hey no moaning, we were great.
I honestly thought we would win today but didn't expect that 2nd half. Come on you blues.
Great result for you guys and despite losing some key players you started this season in the same vein that you ended the last one. I think the Dingles will be up near the playoffs this season so to beat them as well as you did bodes very well for you!!! Of course the Blunts propping up the table is just icing on the cake!!!
I think Saunders will be a relieved and happy man tonight.He knows he has a decent squad and he also has a bit of money in the pot to spend on players and he can take his time to make sure he gets the right player in although it was obvious he wasn't going to panic buy anyway despite the ridiculous clammering from some fans .Well done to him for standing by his principles.
No doubt fat boy Evans will be looking to make some additions to his squad this week .
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »