Thread Closed 
Thread Rating:
Money, money, money!! The 2015-16 Push to the Premier League - Act 1: Summer 2015
Craig Mackail-Smith is being released by BHA. Before anyone starts Whistle I know he's 31 and not the future but we need some experience as well as young'uns. I would see someone of his ilk as a good investment for our promotion campaign Whistle We could have done with someone like him this season, a calm and experienced head in front of goal and someone to help out our young strike force strikers Thumb up

And yes, I know he's only scored 3 this season (it says in 35 appearances although that could be 5 minutes a game) but I think he has the pedigree at this level.
and complicated
(23-04-2015, 23:38)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: it does depend on who is out of contract though. Most of the top talents for this league are tied up

Pretty much a third of players go out of contract each summer so there will be enough to choose from. I think the biggest factor that will change things will be moving from the rigid 442 to a more progressive formation.

(24-04-2015, 11:45)Maddix Wrote: Craig Mackail-Smith is being released by BHA. Before anyone starts  Whistle I know he's 31 and not the future but we need some experience as well as young'uns. I would see someone of his ilk as a good investment for our promotion campaign  Whistle We could have done with someone like him this season, a calm and experienced head in front of goal and someone to help out our young strike force strikers  Thumb up

And yes, I know he's only scored 3 this season (it says in 35 appearances although that could be 5 minutes a game) but I think he has the pedigree at this level.

Five years ago, CMS was a top striker but injuries have taken their toll and he has lost his pace. He will probably go back to Peterboro.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Maddix, what have you been sniffing?

Mackail-smith went back to Peterborough on loan! And failed to score!
JUST SAYING LIKE!
one player I'd look at is Will Buckley at Sunderland, either on loan or permanent. Moved there last summer and has played 8 times all season (has been injured) but I reckon they'll go buy someone else
Removed until we're actually on our way back  Doh
I reckon that there is an outside chance that we look at Connor Wickham.

I know he is under contract and on decent wages but with our new back up team, there is an outside chance that we could broker a deal. Even if signing him is outside FFP, we might agree a season long loan with an option to sign if we get promoted.

If there is one signing that would get the pulses racing, it is Wickham.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
I hope we can make a statement signing early in the window, as that will show our intent is real and will help entice other quality players. I would love us to sign Rhodes but the transfer fee of at least 8m would screw us with the FFP rules, so it will have to be someone either on a free or cheaper than that.

Sako from Wolves is a free agent, although he may end up in the Prem. BM10 is a good shout as a possibility, but I wonder if the rumors around him are simply there because he played for us on loan. Can't see Wickham dropping a division, he will see himself as a prem player and if he was to move I would imagine it would be to someone like Villa or stoke and not us.
wickham ship has sailed I think. Maybe 2 summers ago if we'd shown some ambition but now, no. He's pretty much established in the prem.
(24-04-2015, 18:10)Thurnscoe_OWL Wrote: wickham ship has sailed I think. Maybe 2 summers ago if we'd shown some ambition but now, no. He's pretty much established in the prem.

Maybe. I know the mother of his girlfriend and I understand that it isn't entirely out of the question.
There's no harm in trying but I do tend to agree with Charlie that other prem clubs would be interested as well.
Maybe if we could guarantee him promotions, bonuses and pay rises but it's very slim chances
He isn't happy at Sunderland and hasn't done that great this season.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »
Thread Closed