Thread Rating:
OTHER FOOTBALL - Miscellaneous
Not sure if there is a thread of this sort on here ATM (we had one on New606) - meant to be somewhere to post anything about football (not the Baggies probably) that doesn't warrant a thread on it's own.

To start - a great quote from tonight:

Tottenham out of the Europa League

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino:

"We did not score and, if we want to analyse the game, it is easy: Fiorentina scored, we didn't score and in football you don't score it is difficult to win games.
"I think they scored more than us and we didn't score." Confused
Only Everton definitely through.

I bet Roberto is having a quiet gloat!
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
Pochettino was prone to making comments like that when he was with Espanyol. He would say such obvious things like "We can't win if we don't score. We need to score to win matches". Well yes Mr Pochettino, that is the case with football.  Smartass
Anyway, tomorrow afternoon is one of the biggest derbies in German football. It is the Revierderby between Borussia Dortmund and Schalke 04. Schalke won the first match earlier in the season 2-1 in the Veltins Arena under Jens Keller and now under the stewardship of Roberto Di Matteo, Schalke are looking to do the double over their rivals for the second time in 3 seasons.

Di Matteo's 3-5-2 versus Klopp's 4-2-3-1 should be an interesting tactical battle and with both teams now in good form, it promises to be a cracking game.
The big game in the German Bundesliga 2 is in-form Nürnberg at home to in-form Karlsruhe. A Karlsruhe win will close the gap on Ingolstadt, who are the clear league leaders, to only 3 points whilst a Nürnberg win will move them up the table and put them only 3 points behind Karlsruhe. This match should be a good battle and I for one will be watching it intently tomorrow afternoon at 12:00.
What's gone wrong with Dortmund this season Josh?

Thought that they were usually up there with Munich etc but, this year they look like they could get relegated.
There is a couple reasons for their predicament. They didn't replace Lewandowski sufficiently (Ramos and Immbobile haven't stepped up as expected), they were not taking the chances that they were creating which again points to not replacing Lewandowski properly, they have been shaky defensively and teams have worked out that Dortmund struggle when they are put under pressure at the back and when they have to open up teams who defend deep and compactly. Dortmund are always at their best when they can move the ball quickly from back to front at speed.

The players speaking to angry fans a month ago seems to have helped as they are now starting to get their act together in the league. Here is an article on it in case no one has heard of it - http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015...urg-defeat
Can't remember which one but, it's not that long ago that one of the Premiership's top six was being linked with Klopp as a possible replacement Manager. Dortmund's present struggles can't have helped his reputation as a top Manager.
I'm doing a draft on another forum atm, so I might need help from some on good current lesser known players.
(27-02-2015, 22:24)betterthanbaird Wrote: I'm doing a draft on another forum atm, so I might need help from some on good current lesser known players.

Can you say that again young man?
I don't think Herr Klopp's reputation is being tarnished at all. The season before he took over, Dortmund finished in 13th. Klopp's first season resulted in a 6th place finish and that was followed by 5th, 1st, 1st, 2nd and 2nd place finishes. During that time they won league titles, German Cups and reached the Champions League final.

His reputation is so high, and deservedly so, that 1 season like the current one won't damage it. I'm sure that if he was to leave Dortmund at the end of the season, he would get a job at another top club easily.
An undetonated British Second World War bomb has been found near Dortmund's stadium - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31639817
(27-02-2015, 22:24)betterthanbaird Wrote: I'm doing a draft on another forum atm, so I might need help from some on good current lesser known players.

Not sure what you mean by draft?

And if you just mean good foreign players you don't hear much about over here then I can think of a few: Roberto Firmino, Kevin Volland, Matteo Musaccio, Luciano Vietto, Filipe Anderson, Paco Alcacer. I'm sure Josh can name loads more.
[Image: 1348664730___West_Brom_-_Banner.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »