Thread Rating:
SWFC Goalscorers since 2005 - After Millwall 2/18/2024
He played for another 12 years after leaving us and retired in 1996. His wiki page say the following, no idea if this is accurate or not!!

"After retiring he moved to St Ives, Cornwall becoming involved in hotel maintenance and property development. He played for and coached Porthleven in the South Western Football League for several seasons. After about ten years in Cornwall, Bannister and family returned to the Midlands and a job in hotel maintenance in Birmingham."
(13-02-2015, 15:14)peiowl Wrote: I saw Fantham, Finney and Ellis score.

Was that down one of Peter Stringfellows dodgy 60's nightclubs ? Whistle
Ellis hat trick at Man U. Beat them 7-2. I was there when history was made. Thumb up Thumb up
Maddix and St Charles Owl like this post
"God Save the King."
It's interesting that Reda and Llera got 30 between them in the short time they were here. Have our defenders contributed a goal this season Huh I'm not saying I would like them back from a defensive point of view but perhaps we should have kept them as strikers Laugh

Personally, I'd have liked to have seen Llera tried in the 'Semedo' position in front of our current defence. At least we would have had a goal threat on the pitch and someone who can hit a free kick Thumb up
and complicated
I think part of the lack of goals from our defenders also comes from our crap set pieces deliveries!! Think of the mayhem Reda and Llera caused at corners and free kicks, we scored so many goals that way!!!
(13-02-2015, 21:55)St Charles Owl Wrote: I think part of the lack of goals from our defenders also comes from our crap set pieces deliveries!!  Think of the mayhem Reda and Llera caused at corners and free kicks, we scored so many goals that way!!!

Spot on Chaz  Thumb up we don't seem to put ourselves about in the opposition box anymore from set pieces  Angry

I also note that Reda scored more that 'Banjo' Antonio  Whistle and he was injured just as much  Thumb up
and complicated
(13-02-2015, 22:01)Maddix Wrote:
(13-02-2015, 21:55)St Charles Owl Wrote: I think part of the lack of goals from our defenders also comes from our crap set pieces deliveries!!  Think of the mayhem Reda and Llera caused at corners and free kicks, we scored so many goals that way!!!

Spot on Chaz  Thumb up we don't seem to put ourselves about in the opposition box anymore from set pieces  Angry

I also note that Reda scored more that 'Banjo' Antonio  Whistle and he was injured just as much  Thumb up

Although to be fair to MA, he was often the provider for the goals, by far the player with the most assists for us.
(13-02-2015, 22:10)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(13-02-2015, 22:01)Maddix Wrote:

Although to be fair to MA, he was often the provider for the goals, by far the player with the most assists for us.

Since we have been back in SBC, Antonio has the most assists of any player in the league. He is also the scorer of the most goals for any player not designated as a striker.

We all know that our goals dried up the day Antonio walked out. A lot of people still won't admit it but the number of attempts on goal from inside the penalty area have reduced by 75% this season & that is due to Antonio & the perceived threat of Antonio. Opposition teams couldn't push for fear of Antonio's pace so we got the ball far more in the opposition box, unlike now.

SG's biggest mistake was bringing in May but selling our main provider to get him. Little surprise he doesn't score many.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
In my opinion, the mistake wasn't buying May and it wasn't selling Antonio, it was the fact that we didn't replace him with another out and out winger!! Maybe the replacement wouldn't have been as good as MA but at the time we all saw May as an improvement on what we had in the box, so the goals should have flowed far more than they have.
(14-02-2015, 00:34)Imre varadi Wrote: o ffs !! Antonio is shit  Angry  there is only one player shiter and you know who that is dont you  Thumb up

So shit that has the most assists over two & a half seasons at this level & being the highest scoring midfielder.

The last two seasons were at least fun to watch, almost exclusively due to Antonio & Wickham. This season has been dire with only two matches all season (both away) worth watching. If we could sign any wide player in this division, we couldn't sign anyone better than Antonio.

As I said, there are still some fans that cannot see it. Maybe the odd one will never see it.

(13-02-2015, 23:45)St Charles Owl Wrote: In my opinion, the mistake wasn't buying May and it wasn't selling Antonio, it was the fact that we didn't replace him with another out and  out winger!!  Maybe the replacement  wouldn't have been as good as MA but at the time we all saw May as an improvement on what we had in the box, so the goals should have flowed far more than they have.

Why sell the best winger in the division & then look for an inferior replacement?

I know the answer. SG fell out with Antonio because he was made to play when he was injured. He was also a flair player & SG has issues with flair players so he got rid of him.

We could do a lot worse than try to buy him back even if it cost us £4m now. It would make Wednesday worth watching again & the goals would star to flow again.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »