Thread Rating:
Possible 2015 Grand National runners
25/1 Alvarado, Back In Focus, Balthazar King, Godsmejudge, Many Clouds, Merry King, Pineau de Re, Shutthefrontdoor, Spring Heeled, Teaforthree, Unioniste.

33/1 Across The Bay, Benvolio, Boston Bob, Dolatulo, First Lieutenant, Home Farm, Living Next Door, Lord Windermere, Monbeg Dude, Rebel Rebellion, Rocky Creek, Saint Are, Sam Winner, Sunnyhillboy.

40/1 Al Co, Ballycasey, Buddy Bolero, Carlingford Lough, Cause Of Causes, Chance du Roy, Corrin Wood, Court By Surprise, Gallant Oscar, Goonyella, Guess Again, Hadrian’s Approach, Katenko, Kruzhlinin, Portrait King, Prince de Beauchene, Roi du Mee, Rolling Aces, Royale Knight, Shotgun Paddy, Super Duty, The Druids Nephew, Theatrical Star, Wyck Hill.

50/1 Alderwood, Any Currency, Baileys Concerto, Broadway Buffalo, Burton Port, Cappa Bleu, Carlito Brigante, Cedre Bleu, Double Ross, Duke Of Lucca, Green Flag, Make A Track, Mon Parrain, Mountainous, My Murphy, Night In Milan, Oscar Time, Owega Star, Rajdhani Express, Raz de Maree, Renard, Rubi Light, Standing Ovation, The Package, Vintage Star.

66/1 Alpha Victor, Bob Ford, Gas Line Boy, Lackamon, Loch Ba, Poole Master, Rigadin de Beauchene, Rose Of The Moon, Soll, Sydney Paget, Tales Of Milan, The Rainbow Hunter, Tranquil Sea.

100/1 American Spin, Ballyoliver, Ely Brown, Glenquest, Harry The Viking, Ikorodu Road, Maggio, Mart Lane, Neptune Equester, River Choice.

200/1 Qulinton.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Time to "trot" out the annual ban horse racing crowd!!! Pardon the pun!!
(05-02-2015, 22:29)St Charles Owl Wrote: Time to "trot" out the annual ban horse racing crowd!!!  Pardon the pun!!

Horse Racing happens 364 days a year and people seem to focus on wanting to ban the National.

BAAAAANNN IIIIIIIT. Big Grin
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
I am not a fan of The Grand National because of the number of horses taking part and the distance v size of fences involved. It guarantees that horses will either fall due to crowding or exhaustion. I applaud them for making changes to the fences but it's still not sufficient.

Before you berate me for this. I am a farmers son who went to numerous race meetings as my farther was a jockey. I seen numerous falls resulting in horses being put down but I have equally seen them run and jump willingly after depositing their rider.

I am happy with horse racing, flat and hurdles, and I still attend a few meetings every year. It's just this one single race, to me, has run its course and further changes need making.

Never stop the National just make a few more tweaks out of kindness.
(09-02-2015, 20:46)Stairs Wrote: I am not a fan of The Grand National because of the number of horses taking part and the distance v size of fences involved.  It guarantees that horses will either fall due to crowding or exhaustion.  I applaud them for making changes to the fences but it's still not sufficient.

Before you berate me for this. I am a farmers son who went to numerous race meetings as my farther was a jockey. I seen numerous falls resulting in horses being put down but I have equally seen them run and jump willingly after depositing their rider.

I am happy with horse racing, flat and hurdles, and I still attend a few meetings every year.  It's just this one single race, to me, has run its course and further changes need making.

Never stop the National just make a few more tweaks out of kindness.

I like Horse Racing and went to the National two years ago and I like the race and everything but I think the field is too big, they need to cut it down from 40 runners and riders to about 25. I don't think the National has run its course it still attracts a big crowd and big TV audience because there is nothing else like it.

The Grand National won't disappear for a few reasons. First as you say it draws a big crowd and tv audience, so it has good revenues for the horse racing industry as a whole. But it also generates a ton of money from those once a year pundits who walk into a bookie and place a bet on a horse that has a nice name!! I haven't seen any figures but I would hazard a guess that is is probably the most bet on event in the UK.

I am all for them making it as safe as they can for both horses and riders but there is an inherent danger in the sport to start with that you will never remove. The nature of the course and the race, including the number of horses in it, also means unlike most other horse races, the favorite rarely wins, and that in itself is why it is a spectacle that draws in the betting and audience it gets, make the course too easy or reduce the runners and you end up with a race where the favorites will win more often than not. And for me the mystique of the event will disappear as well!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »