Thread Rating:
WBA vs Leicester - Match Thread
[Image: 1272260606-jpg.jpg]

Two brilliant, unlikely-on-paper wins have consolidated Albion's playoff position to the extent that a defeat this weekend, even with all other results against us, wouldn't be enough to displace us from the awesome foursome. That insurance will be welcome with the visit of Leicester to the Hawthorns for the early match on Saturday, now clear league leaders and the toughest nut we've yet had to crack. Their current average of 2.3 points per game is not only enough to send them up with a three-figure points tally come May, but to break Reading's eighteen-year Championship record haul (they're currently 2 points ahead of the Royals at the equivalent point in 2005), and as if anyone needs reminding, we're winless against the Foxes since 2016 and they've beaten us in every one of the last five encounters at the Hawthorns. Good Friday 2010 was the last time we came out on top at home: to say the least, we're long overdue.

Promisingly, Leicester have won just two in their last nine early kick-offs, and have lost three of the last five; meanwhile, they concluded a rocky November with a draw at Hillsborough in midweek in which defender Wout Faes went off injured, and is now a doubt for Saturday. There may not be an ideal time to play Leicester this season, but we're probably as close to it as we're likely to get.

Again it's unlikely on paper, but "unlikely on paper" could be the motto of this season so far. Press high and keep the disciplined 4-4-2 off the ball as we did last week, and we've already shown we have the quality to hurt the very best teams on the break. Whatever the outcome, let's hope Enzo Maresca's return to West Bromwich is a memorable one.
talkSAFT, drewks, Blue Baggie And 2 others like this post
The Crown, Lords & Commons are the Crown, Lords & Commons of Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. In the heart of the empire on which the sun never sets, in the land of hope and glory, is Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. What do they know of England who only England know? The answer must be Rusty Lane, West Bromwich.
There seems to be a real togetherness about the club atm, with all the players buying into CC's methods with confidence.
League leaders. At home.
A point would be good, but I can actually see us w.........
.... NO! STOP IT!! Blush Big Grin
4evaabaggie likes this post
Doh What a good effort from our lads, however having drawn level on the 89th minute how often do you see the other team scoring almost immediately. Such a shame.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Threw the point away, sadly. On the one hand it's great we had the confidence to hunt for a winner after the late equaliser, but there's a fine line between confidence and cockiness and we crossed it by leaving ourselves wide open to a sucker-punch. Which is a shame, because in a cagey match we'd easily done enough to deserve the draw.

Still, we've done better from these last three than I'd dared hope, so fingers crossed for a positive festive period ahead.
drewks likes this post
The Crown, Lords & Commons are the Crown, Lords & Commons of Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. In the heart of the empire on which the sun never sets, in the land of hope and glory, is Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. What do they know of England who only England know? The answer must be Rusty Lane, West Bromwich.
It's always cruel to lose to a 90th+ minute goal, but I like the fact that we were looking to win it.
For me, "end of".
4evaabaggie likes this post
It is a shame the results went against us, but I would rather lose looking for the win than shut up shop looking for a draw and concede anyway. The lads are doing good, I feared a bit for this season with the lack of funds, financial strife, loss of players and only a few arrivals but king Carlos and his blue and white army are excelling. A few blips along the way, with the financial clout of the relegated teams and squad quality they possess it is only to be expected.
Hoping for a good takeover and some excellent reinforcements in January.

COME ON YOU BAGGIES ...... ALBION TIL I DIE
drewks and talkSAFT like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »