The Sir Alfred McGalphsmiths Stadium
US of A Stadium Way
It's still Blue & White
Don't let them buy a pot of red paint and spoil it
It's still just off Leeds Road
HD1 6PG

Kick-off 19:45 UK Time
Wednesday 20/09/23

The lads from Smoke-on-Stench head up the M6 and across the M62 (unless they take the scenic route over The Staffordshire Moorlands and The High Peak) for Wednesday night's clash in what will apprently be Colin's Neil Warnock's last game in charge of the Terriers.

Town come into this on the back of 2 wins, whilst Stoke are on a 3 game losing run. We all know what that usually means.  Whistle

On the tellybox

On the Sky Sports Red Button in the UK and Ireland, plus iFollow.
Other streams will likely be available - somewhere.

Latest news

Well we've all either heard, or read, Colin's Presser from Monday afternoon (go to t'foot of our thread if you haven't, where have you been?).
Numerous comments already abound on other threads and forums. Don't let that stop you commenting on here.

I'm all for change, more fan engagement and even some North American Razzle, Dazzle (not that I'd get to the ground any sooner before kick-off mind) but some owners should learn to keep some of their comments between the doors of the club and not air them first on public forums, blind siding the folk they employ, until all agree to any announcement. Gawd knows they managed that for long enough before they took over.

Another thought of mine (fwiw) is that last season Warnock was dealing with staff that were mostly Deano's with a few from Phil Hodkinson. Lot's of good backroom staff have left, including one of the highest rated keeper coaches, and he's now pretty much surrounded by the new guys staff. He's pretty much the last one standing (see the presser) that they haven't changed. I just have to wonder how much further down the "Old Stokies" route we are going with our recruitment? Didn't exactly cover themselves in glory and they are (just) below us at the moment.

Any road, Warnock, Jepson et al go with their heads held high at once again doing a marvelous job at Town. They've got my respect and always will have, even if they pop up down the road in February, though would he really go to Wendies after his spell at The Blunts?  Angel

Let's hope the new guy, whoever it is, doesn't try to change too much too soon and scuppers the dressing room again like that prawn last season.  Angry

Out Injured/Suspended/Isolating

Ward got a "minor achilles problem" on Friday. Apparently a bit better today.
Hoggy may or may not have got something in his eye on Saturday. Oh, as it turns out he's got a snotty nose, or sinusitis. Pass him a tissue or three.
Whether they will be risked for Wednesday is up to the gaffer. I'm guessing Tom Edwards won't be taking any long throws in this one.

Back training but not oven ready/Back in the frame

Lees was on the bench on Saturday without being called on. With only 45 mins under his belt in an U20 game he's hardly going to be at peak match fitness.
I can only see him starting if Helik or Pearson pick up a knock in training or coming on if they are injured in the match.

Last time out

Well, like buses, we wait all season for a win and two come along at once.
Town beat Rotherham 2-0 in what was a tad more scrappy afair than at West Brom and whilst he said it would be unlikely for him to change a winning side, his hand was drawn for him when Ward pulled up lame in training. Bringing Sorba and Koroma back paid off in spades. A bit more coaching on what the onion bag looks like is maybe required for a few of our players though. We missed more than a few sitters that would have wiped out our -ve goal difference.

[Image: J6eTQPd.jpg]

Stoke lost 1-0 in darkest Norfolk, as Wagbo's Canaries shrugged off the shock of losing to er, Rotherham (?!?) last time out.
Appears to have been as close as the scoreline suggests.

[Image: G6pu0Ch.jpg]

The weekend results didn't throw up any major surprises, unless you count The Saints bubble bursting big time at home to The Foxes.
Those last 3 results burst my bubble in our prediction league. Big Grin

[Image: kP2uMcQ.jpg]

Musical Interlude

Stokes finest, Saul Hudson always makes my playlist for Stoke games and I make no excuses for it.
You may know him as 'Slash'.

and wearing a Strolling Bones T-Shirt too Laugh

Morrissey - except that it's Neil Morrissey, infamous for Knock, Knock, Knocking on Amanda Holden's doors whilst she was still married to Les Dennis.
He also sang some songs for a kids cartoon.
From the smash hit album, Never Mind the Breeze Blocks ...

Maybe we need to get him in as Colin is off to watch his weeds grow in Plymouth?
Bob the Builder that is, not Neil Morrissey.

Lemmy - Motorhead front man with a love for German War memorabilia. Was kicked out of Hawkwind after being arrested for drug possession.
(I couldn't use the 4 letter word that rhymes with Khazi).

Here's a cover you might have heard before (or not)

Maybe we should petition Town to adopt it as our walk on tune.
The Metallica version seems to get the crowds jumping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MlkJHKfn8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA9vwoqusbQ

One of the other recently famous Smoke-on-Stench songsters, as you all know, is a Port Vale fan, so we'll not annoy the neighbours this time by letting him entertain you. I did that last time.

Kwik Kwiz of Antigrams

Famous Stokies (some likely recycled off previous Stoke threads).
Clues provided to assist the time challenged, here's Wednesday night's starting 11.

1. Ikeda Kasongan - Famous British wrestler from the days of Saturday afternoon Grapple and Groan, right after the 'osses had finished on ITV. Real name: Peter Thornley.
2. Isham Randolph - folk were just dying to meet him - responsible for at least 218 deaths.
3. K.C. Chan Cokin - TV presenter. Also appeared in two episodes of 'Mr Bean'.
4. Barf Konghu - former TV presenter, best known for having cocaine-fuelled romps with S&M prostitutes.
5. Damned Chapati Wrist - one lump or two of ice in your cocktail skipper? There's a local brewery named somewhat in his er, honour?
6. Hear Naren Tut - TV presenter. Once voted 15th worst Briton by Channel 4.
7. Born Book User - Radio DJ. Real name: Trevor. Was Knock, Knock, Knocking on number 6's doors for a while in the 80s.
8. Welthy Statesman - Legendary footballer, won the FA Cup while playing for Blackpool.
9. Harly Pilot - 16 time world champion.
10. Kathy Eden - 2 time world champion.
11. India Walers - 2 time world champion.

You'll have to be sharp to get the last 3, if you get my point.

Honourable mention to "The Crafty Cockney" who lived in Stoke and mentored at least one of the above before checking out at the youthful age of "20 - Double Tops."

The Sack Race

Other than the obvious one after this game ...

David Unsworth left Oldham on Monday (edit)

In the Recycling Bin of talent, getting back into work since my last thread are :-

Michael Appleton - Charlton - 8th September
Nigel Adkins - Tranmere - 10th September
Lee Johnson - Fleetwood Town - 10th September

Table as it stands

[Image: Ff6W9Oj.jpg]

In the fledgling "only league that really matters" Town are top of The Yorkshire League, now that everyone has played at least once.
That could change by Wednesday with two more fixtures coming in this round of games.

[Image: 8unwzom.jpg]

Innies and Outies

You might recognise one of the chaps in the Outies column

[Image: S22C1tO.jpg]

They only brought 17 new players in. 17 !?!?!?!

Who do they think they are? Forest?
Or are Severn Trent putting something in the river so both clubs buy all this cr@p in one go?

Who's banging 'em in

4 of Stoke's 5 goals came in the first day 4:1 defeat of er, Rotherham.
Their only other goal came in the 1:0 home win v Watford. They've lost the last 3 without scoring and are yet to score away this season.
Town will no doubt help them along there but hell, they almost make us look prolific. Whistle

[Image: BcOHL1e.jpg]

They can't all lose

There's a pair of Yorkshire Derby's over this set of fixtures (I might have mentioned it) with Wendies playing Boro for the honour of bottom place and Rotherham are at Millwall in another game of those in the bottom 3rd.
Otherwise Norwich play Leicester in a top 4 clash, and Preston play Brum in a top 6 clash.

[Image: BcOHL1e.jpg]

We've played 'em before

Stoke have a good lead in this fixture in the League and they really seem to like playing us in the Cups.

[Image: VljvV75.jpg]

Next up?

Coventry away next Monday night on Sky. 8pm kick-off.
The local train service to Coventry Arena station from Coventry (or Nuneaton) is typically one or two carriages long, once an hour and isn't in the least bit timed to coincide with when the match finishes. Nuneaton is slightly better than Coventry but the last one's are at 22:04 & 23:08 - Nuneaton, 21:50, 22:50, 23:40 - Coventry. You will also have to walk what seems like an extra hallf-mile to get round the barriers when you leave the ground to get back to the station (same for the buses, if you can actually get on one of those).

Pressers

Warnock's Wise Words

The Unexamined version
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/foo...e-27733613

Radio Local version
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gf8ztj

The full Town 1 hour(ish) video version

The view from The Potters Wheel

Alex Neil in The Stoke Sentinel

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/fo...ws-8764274

Ben Pearson in The Stoke Sentinal

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/fo...ld-8763026

Stoke are likely to be heading to Huddersfield on Wednesday without two starting forwards, Andre Vidigal and Ryan Mmaee, and left-back Enda Stevens. Summer signing Vidigal, who has shown game-changing potential already in the Championship, took a whack on the ankle late on at MIllwall while Mmaee, who has joined from Hungary champions Ferencvaros to lead the line, suffered a hamstring problem almost immediately after scoring his first goal for the club in a cup win over Rotherham.
SHEP_HTAFC, Amelia Chaffinch, Lord Snooty And 2 others like this post
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Somehow don't think Amanda will mention Neil on her well advertised Sky programme which starts tonight on Sky History(Monday) entitled a Bonker's History.
As for Colin deserves to enjoy his retirement always had plenty of timed for him, old skool top man, tells it how it is
theo_luddite likes this post
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

You hear that noise? It's the sound of my Coventry match thread going through the shredder. Sad
theo_luddite and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Hell, I thought you'd have mentioned a tad more than the train times Snoots Whistle
You ain't known for being brief.
A guide to cask ale.

Laugh
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Radio Local and Town YouTube versions of the presser added if you missed them. A few other edits to correct errors or updates in there too.
A guide to cask ale.

It's ridiculous. Dickheads.
Not all men are sexist but all men can stop sexism. CALL IT OUT!
Agreed, like Warnock says, Christmas (ish) would have been better in his opinion, but would the guy they've lined up been prepared to wait? Well he would if they paid him a "retainer".

Hell did you see the F1 on Sunday where it was obvious both the Mercs were faster than either the Ferrari or the Mclaren in a straight fight, but Sainz slowed down enough so Norris had enough speed in the sections where he could open DRS to keep the Mercs behind him but not enough speed to challenge Sainz for the lead? Sainz or Ferrari showing some nous? I doubt it was Ferrari to be honest given their recent record in decision making.

Wonder what Warnock would be like in charge of an F1 team? No let's not go there.
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
A guide to cask ale.

The Oatcake is a decent Stoke forum, came up with this gem about Alex Neil

Why give someone exotic ingredients when he can only cook Sunday Roast and Potatoes
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Must admit it's the first Stoke thread I've done in ages when I've not mentioned Oatcakes. I still know a few mind. Laugh

In addition there were supposedly plenty of exotic ingredients still around for several seasons after they were relegated from the Prima Donna League and they still couldn't find a chef to even cook Sunday Roasts and Potatoes from them. What exactly do they eat in Smoke-on-Stench these days in all the shut down city centre restaurants?

It all started I think when they moaned about someone called Mark Hughes (wonder where he is) tactics of hoofball and get throw in's and corners followed by Pulis. It worked out brilliantly afterwards for them didn't it playing Stoke-style ticky-tacky with um, long prong Crouch up front? Oh, wait, they didn't play ticky-tacky. More wacky-wackit. I've seen someone on The Stoke Sentinel call Warnock a dinosaur for his tactics. Yeah, OK. Barecelona style football has got you where since exactly? Not that you've played it.

Hmm, I'm of the opinion that Madam Am of the Chaffs might be a tad dischuffed, let alone dischaffed. By Friday, we'll have to see how many of us join her in her opinion.

To be fair, I agree, I think they don't know this league and panicked when Norwich stuffed us, when anyone with more than one braincell (that might be 1.1) could see we had a nightmare fixture list for the first 10 games.

Still think the new chap in charge needs to shut his trap on Twatter (X) unless it's about something positive or club news. A good manager asks what his employees needs to move the business forward. He/she provides them with it and backs off and just asks for regular updates on where it's going. If it's not going according to the plan he/she needs to know why and how/what to do to get it back on plan.

Expecting us to be top of the league after 4 or 5 games is not what he would have been informed of as expectations. Why he called our first few results what he did beggars belief given the resources he gave us. What the 'f ' was he expecting v what was he told? Can't believe Warnock or anyone else said we'd realistically win any of the first handful of games before he went on to the Twattterverse that is now X. It may have escaped his head but we don't win points on X, we win them (or lose them) on the field of play.

OK he can't be that bad as he's worth squillions and I'm bumbling along at about 50% of what I previously earned full time, but there comes a point when you either go tits up or the opportunity you've looked for suddenly stares you in the face and you take it. I'm being patient as I await pensionsable age but look for that opportunity. Whatever that opportunity is, it won't be buying Town.
A guide to cask ale.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »