Plymouth Argyle Deepdale 16/9/2023
Preston North End v Plymouth Argyle
Deepdale 16/9/2023 15.00 hrs

https://www.pafc.co.uk/

LAST TIME OUT

FORM GUIDE

PNE 18 PLYMOUTH 8

MANAGER

Steven Thomas Schumacher (born 30 April 1984) is an English football manager and former professional footballer, who is currently the manager of Championship side Plymouth Argyle.

Following his release by Stevenage, Schumacher took a coaching job at Everton and was once an interim manager at Southport.[141][142] On 19 January 2018, Schumacher returned to Bury as first team coach, assisting caretaker-manager Ryan Lowe.[143] Upon Lowe's appointment as permanent manager, Schumacher remained in his role.[144] As a result, he quietly announced his retirement from professional football.[141] At the end of the 2018–19 season, Schumacher's contributions helped Bury gain promotion back to League One despite the financial turmoil surrounding the club, a winding-up petition pending and players and staff being paid late or not at all.[145]

Plymouth Argyle
On 5 June 2019, Lowe brought Schumacher with him upon leaving Bury to become Plymouth Argyle manager, with Schumacher appointed as his assistant manager.[146] By the time he joined the club, Schumacher only just received his UEFA Pro License A.[147] Together with Lowe, Schumacher's contributions helped Plymouth Argyle to a third-place finish and an immediate return to League One in a season interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom.[148]

On 7 December 2021, following the departure of Lowe in order to take a job at Preston North End, Schumacher was swiftly appointed manager of Plymouth Argyle. A day later, his first match ended in a 1–1 draw against Milton Keynes Dons.[149] In just his tenth match as a manager, Schumacher took charge of Argyle as they narrowly lost 2–1 in extra time in the FA Cup 4th round to reigning European Champions Chelsea.[150] Argyle's fine early form under Schumacher saw the club record six straight wins in March 2022 without conceding a single goal, the best defensive record at the club since 2005.[151][152] This impressive run of form saw Schumacher awarded the EFL League One Manager of the Month award for March.[153] The season ultimately ended in disappointment as a 5–0 home defeat to Milton Keynes Dons on the final day of the season saw Plymouth drop out of the play-off places.[154]

An impressive start to the 2022–23 season saw Plymouth sitting top of the league at the end of September. Having won three out of four of the matches, including a victory over fellow promotion hopefuls Ipswich Town, Schumacher was awarded the Manager of the Month award for September with his attacker Morgan Whittaker winning the Player of the Month award for the same month.[155] Schumacher won the award for a second consecutive month after another unbeaten month that kept Plymouth top of the league.[156] At the end of April, Plymouth secured promotion to the Championship after 13 years away.[157]

NEWBIES

[Image: Screenshot-2023-09-11-135415.png]

WE'VE MET BEFORE

[Image: Screenshot-2023-09-11-135746.png]

MORE TO FOLLOW
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

https://www.not606.com/forums/plymouth.73/

Who’s Available?

After limping off during international duty for Republic of Ireland, top scorer Will Keane has been back with PNE during the past week and he'll be assessed ahead of the weekend.

Ben Whiteman and Robbie Brady, who have been out injured all season, have returned to full training and will be in contention for the first time this weekend.

The only players expected to be unavailable are Ched Evans, Emil Riis and Calvin Ramsay, with the latter currently doing rehab with parent club Liverpool.

Opposition Focus

Manager Ryan Lowe is coming up against familiar faces this weekend, having joined North End in December 2021 from Plymouth Argyle, who he led back to League One in the 2019/20 season.

His right-hand man was one of his best friends Steven Schumacher and it was he who took over at Home Park following Ryan’s departure, and under his management Argyle accumulated 101 points last season to secure promotion to the Championship.

The Pilgrims have made a mixed start to the campaign, having won twice, drawn once and lost twice, and on Saturday they’ll look for their first away victory of the season.

Match Officials

Referee: Gavin Ward
Assistant Referees: Adam Crysell and Greg Read
Fourth Official: Andrew Kitchen

This weekend, Gavin Ward will take charge of his first PNE fixture since March 2023 when he officiated the goalless draw at Vicarage Road.

So far this season, he’s shown 20 yellow cards in five matches.

MACS VIEW

By the time we kick off against the Green Army we probably won't be top a position no one would have dreamt of following what appeared to be weeks of inaction in the transfer window, whether we will stay there is the 56 million dollar question but you can always dream. Interesting match this one with the managerial connection.
Not played these lads for a while win on Saturday and we will be back on top again tough to call this one

Plymouth Argyle boss Steven Schumacher says he still gets help from "best mate" Ryan Lowe as they prepare to meet for the first time as managers.

The Pilgrims travel to Championship rivals Preston on Saturday, the club Lowe left Argyle for in December 2021.

Schumacher had been Lowe's assistant since taking over at Bury in 2018 before joining Argyle a year later.

"Since we split he's always on the phone, saying congratulations last year when we were winning," Schumacher said.

"I was always picking up the phone to him saying the same, we bounce things off each other and I think that's important.

"When I first took the job I said to him I'm going to need his help and I've needed that over the last 21 months.

"Ryan leaving the way he did it didn't sit well with a lot of people, but for him personally I think it was a good move, it was a chance for him to go and manage in the Championship close to home, which is important.

"And if it wasn't for Ryan then I wouldn't be here and if it wasn't for me getting the opportunity to be the manager then the coaching staff that we've put together wouldn't be here and we might not be in this position, so everything happens for a reason."

Steven Schumacher celebrates promotion
Schumacher led Argyle to first place in League One last season after a thrilling title race
Schumacher had never managed a side before taking over from Lowe, but has established himself as one of the most promising young coaches in the EFL having guided an unfancied Argyle to the League One title last season ahead of Ipswich Town and Sheffield Wednesday.

Plymouth are 10th in the Championship this campaign, having won two of their five matches, and also fell to stoppage-time defeats against Southampton and Birmingham City.

Unbeaten Preston are top of the early-season table with four victories and one draw.

Schumacher says the grounding he got under fellow Merseysider Lowe has helped him have the success he has seen so far in Devon.

"I always said I wanted to be the best possible coach that I could become," he added to BBC Radio Devon.

"I learned loads being a number two and assistant and watched what Ryan did for the three-and-a-half years that we worked together and learned a few things off him.

"When the opportunity was given to me to become the manager I greatly accepted it.

"It was a big risk, I could have been Ryan's number two again for years, but it was a big risk to step out on my own, but it's one I've enjoyed and so far it's going okay."

Schumacher is keen that the focus for Saturday's game is on the field rather than on the two opposing dugouts.

"It's not all about him and me, let's not forget it's two teams, it's Preston North End against Argyle," he added.

"They've had a brilliant start to the season, they're top of the league, they're unbeaten.

"We know they're going to be really hard to play against and I'm looking forward to the game.

"It's a big test for us going away, it's going to be a good atmosphere and it's a huge challenge, so hopefully we're ready for it."

Preston North End 2 Holmes, Millar Plymouth Argyle 1 Hardie

PNE line-up: Woodman; Storey, Lindsay, Hughes (Whatmough, 63); Potts, McCann, Ledson (Whiteman, 60), Millar; Holmes, Browne (Frøkjær, 46); Osmajić (Brady, 75). Subs not used: Cornell, Cunningham, Stewart, Woodburn, Best.

Plymouth Argyle line-up: Hazard; Kesler-Hayden, Pleguezuelo (Scarr, 85), Gibson, Miller (C.Wright, 68); Cundle (Randell, 73), Houghton (Waine, 85), Azaz; Whittaker (T.Wright, 85), Hardie, Mumba. Subs not used: Burton, Butcher, Edwards, Warrington.

Attendance: 17,542 (2,737 Plymouth Argyle fans).

Referee: Mr G Ward.

On a sunny late summer afternoon, North End duly ran out 2-1 winners against Plymouth Argyle although in truth if Argyle had got a point doubt whether anyone in the ground would have complained.
Backed by 2500 travelling support the away side more thsn contributed to an highly entertaining game probably the best game seen for years at the old ground.
Both North Ends new signings started the game and ine of them Millar made an immediate impact, cross field pass from Potts, Millar controlled the ball headed for the box, cross shot should probably have been dealt with better by the keeper, he pushed the ball upwards, Holmes headed home, took 41 seconds.
Never like very early goals leaves a long time to hang on and for large periods of the first half that is exactly what we did, Aziz and Whittaker two quality players caused us problems as did the quality of crosses into the box which whizzed across the face of the goal, when they did get sight of goal they were denied by some great defending and also couldn't get passed Woodman who denied Kesler-Hayden following a swift break and an astute Aziz pass.
Slightly against the run of play we doubled our lead, a loose pass in midfield ball to Osmajic onto Millar again drove into the box went left then right curled the bll into the far corner. Argyle pressed again couldn't reduce the arrears as the break came.
[Image: 492-F9786-9-C21-4-B71-9-ADE-C53985-CAC4-A4.jpg]

We had chances to kil them off early in the second period failed to take them but when Hardie finished off a good team goal on the hour it was game on again. Again we were forced to defend in numbers however Woodman wasn't really tested. We could have added to our goals great save by Hazard denied Osmajic after a good cross by Millar, Potts also hit the post possiby Hazard may have got a touch on that as well
We were effectively down to ten for the last few minutes as Millar was struggling to walk following cramp after another charge at goal. Argyle forced a series of corners all whipped into the six yard box all dealt with, points ours back to the top of the league.

Preston North End manager Ryan Lowe told BBC Radio Lancashire:

"The lads put everything on the line to make sure they came away with three points.

"First half we were well worthy of the two goals, we came out with a really fast start, which we wanted.

"The second half was always going to be tough, fair play to Plymouth, they changed a few things around, especially bringing all the subs on, and really had a good go.

"I thought the game was a fantastic entertaining game for the Championship, and however [the] way, you find a way to win, especially in the second half by keeping the back door shut, but I thought we were excellent first half."

Plymouth Argyle manager Steven Schumacher told BBC Radio Devon:

"I felt our performance probably didn't deserve to lose the game, but we have come away from home again, played really well, caused the top-of-the-table team loads of problems and found ourselves coming away with nothing.

"I'm really disappointed, but I'm also proud and pleased at the players' performance because we were brave today.

"Even after going 1-0 down we were brave to keep playing and we were more than a game for them today."

talkSAFT likes this post

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »