Thread Rating:
Steve to leave
Steve Cotterill is set to resign as manager of League One club Shrewsbury Town, BBC Radio Shropshire reports.

The 58-year-old was appointed in November 2020 and leaves after Town finished 12th this season, 18 points outside the play-off places.

Shrewsbury were eight points off the top six with 10 games to go, but lost eight of those matches as any hopes of a late promotion charge faded.

It is understood Cotterill has not been sacked, but has chosen to leave.

The former Birmingham and Bristol City boss missed the second half of the 2020-21 season with Covid-19 pneumonia, which saw him spend 33 days in hospital and later say he was "lucky" to still be alive.

Cotterill's impending departure comes a month after Shrewsbury chief executive Brian Caldwell left the club after seven years in the role.

At the time, Cotterill said his reaction to Caldwell's exit was "sadness".

He told BBC Radio Shropshire: "The club has lost a good guy. I will miss him without a shadow of a doubt.

"When I came here two and a half years ago, the chairman said he wanted me and Brian to work closely together - and we did just that. He was very supportive, especially when I had Covid."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Shrewsbury Town manager Steve Cotterill has left the League One club after two and a half years in charge.

The 58-year-old was appointed in November 2020 and guided Town to 12th in 2022-23, the club's best finish for five seasons.

Cotterill missed the second half of the 2020-21 campaign after spending 33 days in hospital with Covid-19.

"I am confident this team will continue its progression next season," he said in a statement.

Shrewsbury was Cotterill's ninth managerial job, with Stoke City, Burnley, Birmingham City ,Nottingham Forest and Bristol City among his former clubs.

BBC Radio Shropshire reported last week that Cotterill was set to leave the club after choosing to depart and his exit was confirmed in a brief statement on Tuesday.

"Steve Cotterill has left his post as first-team manager," it said..

"The club would like to place on record their thanks to Steve for all his hard work and commitment during the last two and a half years, taking us from a relegation place in League One to 12th in the table and also for working from his hospital bed during the Covid-19 pandemic."

In his statement, released through the League Managers' Association, Cotterill said he was proud of the work that had been done during his time at the club.

"Working through Covid was tough and I have to thank my incredible staff for their help throughout," he added.

"I would also like to thank the players. It is a fantastic group that gave me absolutely everything, right up to the last game of the season. The relationship I had with them was very special.

"When I joined Shrewsbury Town, I wanted to create a connection between the supporters and the team. Thankfully, after a lot of hard work and your help we achieved that."

Chairman Roland Wycherley said: "From time to time, circumstances arise when difficult and unpopular decisions have to be made to safeguard the very future of our club.

"We currently find ourselves in such a position and we would be failing in our duty if we shirk those decisions."

He added: "Going forward, be assured that management structures and new football strategies are already in place - the rationale for the actions we have taken will become evident in the coming weeks and months."

Cotterill's departure comes a month after chief executive Brian Caldwell left.

"The club has lost a good guy. I will miss him without a shadow of a doubt," Cotterill told BBC Radio Shropshire at the time.

"When I came here two and a half years ago, the chairman said he wanted me and Brian to work closely together - and we did just that. He was very supportive, especially when I had Covid."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »