Thread Rating:
Matt Taylor
League One side Shrewsbury Town have appointed former Portsmouth, Bolton and West Ham midfielder Matt Taylor as their new head coach.

The 41-year-old joins Town in his first managerial position since being sacked by Walsall in February 2022.

He succeeds Steve Cotterill, who guided Town to 12th last season before exiting after two and a half years in charge.

"What's important now is that everyone understands just how hungry I am for this opportunity," Taylor said.

"I'm very aware the football club has a successful playing style - something that has worked when you look at the finish last season

"There is a lot that is going right at the football club. So, what do I want to bring?

"I hope to allow the players to really express themselves. There are some exceptional footballers here and part of my role is to give them a platform and a structure so they can go and express themselves and entertain our loyal supporters.

"If I look back at my career and what made me successful - it was hard work and energy."

Details of his deal at Shrewsbury have not been disclosed by the club.

Taylor, who also had spells at Luton, Burnley, Northampton and Swindon as a player, left his role as coach of Tottenham Under-18s to take up his first senior managerial role with Walsall in League Two before the 2021-22 season.

He lost three of his first four league games in charge but steered the Saddlers to mid-table before a run of seven successive defeats left them 21st, four points above the relegation zone, and resulted in his sacking.

Taylor will work with Micky Moore, who became Shrewsbury's first ever director of football in May.

Cotterill led the Shrews to their best finish for five seasons in 2022-23, despite winning just one of their final 10 games of the campaign.

The 58-year-old departed five weeks after chief executive Brian Caldwell, with whom he had a close working relationship.

Moore, who was appointed shortly before Cotterill's exit, said Taylor "fit the criteria" of what they wanted from a new head coach.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

POTTED

Shrewsbury Town have sacked head coach Matt Taylor after a run of seven defeats in eight games.

Taylor was appointed by the League One side in June 2023 as he took on his second managerial role after a spell at Walsall in 2021-22.

Assistant Marcus Bignot has also left, the club said in a statement.

Shrewsbury's 2-1 loss away at Peterborough on Saturday left them 19th in the table, seven points above the relegation zone.

They are the sixth EFL team to change manager since the turn of the year and Taylor is the ninth managerial departure in League One this season.

The former Portsmouth, Bolton and West Ham midfielder succeeded Steve Cotterill, who guided Town to 12th place last season - their best finish for five years - before exiting after two and a half years in charge.

Taylor, who also had spells at Luton, Burnley, Northampton and Swindon as a player, left his role as coach of Tottenham Under-18s to take up his first senior managerial role with Walsall in League Two before the 2021-22 season.

He lost three of his first four league games in charge but steered the Saddlers to mid-table before a run of seven successive defeats left them 21st, four points above the relegation zone, and resulted in his sacking.

Shot-shy Shrewsbury
Town have scored just 18 times in 28 league games this term, which is the joint fewest in the whole of the EFL, along with fellow League One side Exeter.

They took the lead against promotion contenders Peterborough on Saturday but conceded two second-half goals to lose the game.

They have a small amount of breathing space between them and the danger zone, but relegation rivals Reading and Cheltenham have two and three games in hand respectively.

'Fans were bored'
Analysis - BBC Radio Shropshire sports editor Nick Southall

It's felt like a matter of time for Shrewsbury Town and Matt Taylor to part company.

A run of six losses out of seven League One games has caused Town to slip dangerously down the table to 19th. Although still seven points clear of trouble, teams below them are hitting form and have games in hand.

What ultimately did for Taylor, apart from the slump in form, was the style of football.

Fans calling BBC Radio Shropshire's post-match phone in, 'The Verdict,' told me they were bored watching Shrewsbury play. That's backed up by the fact that Town have scored the fewest number of league goals out of the whole EFL.

The fact that assistant Marcus Bignot has left with Taylor could be significant, in the fact that it paves the way for a new head coach and new assistant to come in.

It could mean the return of former Salop duo Paul Hurst and Chris Doig, who left for Ipswich after guiding the club to the League One play-off final in 2018 and have since been first at Scunthorpe, then Grimsby who he left in October..

Other possible candidates include ex-Shrewsbury defender Dean Holden, Wolves coach Ian Burchnall and Barnet boss Dean Brennan.

Shrewsbury previously spoke to former Northern Ireland manager Ian Baraclough and Celtic's Gavin Strachan before appointing Taylor.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »