Thread Rating:
Saints News
Southampton have signed England Under-21 centre-back Taylor Harwood-Bellis on a season-long loan deal from Premier League champions Manchester City.

The move contains an obligation to buy if Saints win promotion from the Championship this season, in a deal which would be worth about £20m.

Harwood-Bellis, 21, spent last season with Burnley, making 35 appearances and helping them up to the top flight.

He then helped England win the European Under-21 Championship this summer.

"I can't wait to get going," Harwood-Bellis told the club Saints website.

"I want to win, I obviously had a taste of that this summer, but my aspiration is to become a better footballer as well, and I feel like I can do that along the way and learn different styles and different ways to play football and I feel like the manager, the staff and the team here can help me do that."

'Perfect fit'
Harwood-Bellis is Southampton's sixth signing from the Manchester City academy since Sport Republic took over at St Mary's.

Southampton director of football Jason Wilcox said: "Taylor arrives with experience beyond his years, including a vast amount of games at Championship level which includes lifting the title last season.

"He's someone who can help us immediately but also has huge potential to continue developing.

"Taylor's attributes make him a perfect fit for our system and how we want to play, and I have no doubt he'll prove to be a valuable addition."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Southampton have signed Ross Stewart on a three-year deal from Sunderland.

The Scotland striker, 27, is Saints' eighth signing of the window and follows the earlier deadline day signing of England Under-21 centre-back Taylor Harwood-Bellis.

He joins on a season-long loan deal from Premier League champions Manchester City.

Meanwhile Saints' Germany international defender Armel Bella-Kotchap has joined PSV Eindhoven on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old made 26 appearances last season after arriving from Bochum.

Stewart scored 40 goals in 81 games for Sunderland after joining from Scottish side Ross County in January 2021.

That included 26 goals in the Black Cats' promotion from League One in the 2021-22 season, including one in the play-off final at Wembley.

But he has not played since January due to an Achilles injury, although he is close to a return to fitness.

Southampton will be the fifth loan spell of Harwood-Bellis' career, but this time, the move contains an obligation to buy if Saints win promotion from the Championship this season, in a deal which would be worth about £20m.

Harwood-Bellis, 21, spent last season with Burnley, making 35 appearances and helping them up to the top flight.

He then helped England win the European Under-21 Championship this summer.

"I can't wait to get going," Harwood-Bellis told the club Saints website.

"I want to win, I obviously had a taste of that this summer, but my aspiration is to become a better footballer as well, and I feel like I can do that along the way and learn different styles and different ways to play football and I feel like the manager, the staff and the team here can help me do that."

England Under-21 skipper Taylor Harwood-Bellis poses with his new Saints shirt.
Taylor Harwood-Bellis has previously played in the Championship with Burnley, Stoke and Blackburn
'Perfect fit'
Harwood-Bellis is Southampton's sixth signing from the Manchester City academy since Sport Republic took over at St Mary's.

Southampton director of football Jason Wilcox said: "Taylor arrives with experience beyond his years, including a vast amount of games at Championship level which includes lifting the title last season.

"He's someone who can help us immediately but also has huge potential to continue developing.

"Taylor's attributes make him a perfect fit for our system and how we want to play, and I have no doubt he'll prove to be a valuable addition."

Southampton winger Moussa Djenepo has re-joined Belgian side Standard Liege.

The 25-year-old left the 10-time Belgian champions to move to St Mary's for a fee reportedly in excess of £10m in the summer of 2019.

He extended his initial four-year deal through to 2025 a year ago but leaves following the Saints' relegation to the Championship.

The Mali international scored five goals in 91 appearances during his time on the south coast.

Southampton have not disclosed the fee paid by Standard Liege for Djenepo.

He is the 11th player to leave the club since the summer transfer window opened.

The likes of Romeo Lavia, James Ward-Prowse, Tino Livramento and Nathan Tella all finding new employers following relegation has netted Southampton in excess of £150m in transfer fees.

Southampton striker Paul Onuachu has joined Turkish side Trabzonspor on a season-long loan.

He joined Saints from Belgian club Genk in January and made 11 appearances in the Premier League before they were relegated, failing to score.

But the 29-year-old has only featured once in Russell Martin's side so far this campaign as a substitute in an EFL Cup game.

Saints are seventh in the Championship and won three of five matches.

Southampton midfielder Charly Alcaraz has signed a new five-year contract.

Alcaraz scored four Premier League goals last season after joining from Argentine side Racing Club in January.

The 20-year-old, who has made nine appearances this season, was recently called up to the Argentina senior squad for the first time.

"Charly has displayed so much potential since his arrival and has already made a huge impact despite his young age," said director of football Jason Wilcox.

"He has the ability to score goals from midfield and we look forward to seeing him showcase his talent here at St Mary's and beyond."

Former Scotland, Tottenham and Aston Villa defender Colin Calderwood has joined Southampton's coaching staff.

The 58-year-old has been appointed as a first-team coach at St Mary's, leaving his role as assistant manager at League One club Northampton Town.

He has been manager at Northampton, Nottingham Forest, Hibernian and Cambridge United during his career.

The Scot has also had coaching spells at Birmingham City, Brighton, Aston Villa and Blackpool.

"He has a wealth of experience from his many years as a coach and manager that we know will be invaluable to our squad," director of football Jason Wilcox told the Southampton website.

Northampton Town chairman Kelvin Thomas added: "It is a real shame that Colin has decided to move on, but he certainly goes with our best wishes and as a friend.

"He has been made a very good offer from a club who are pushing for a return to the Premier League and we understand the attraction for him.

"We part on excellent terms and we thank Colin for the significant role he has played at the club over the last two and a half years," he told the club website.

Southampton have signed AFC Bournemouth midfielder Joe Rothwell on loan until the end of the season.

The 29-year-old, who joined the Cherries from Blackburn Rovers in 2022, has played 11 times in the Premier League this season.

Having started his career at Manchester United, he went on to play 161 times in the Championship for Rovers.

Rothwell is Saints' second new signing after Irish teenager Joe O'Brien-Whitmarsh joined from Cork City.

"Hopefully I can come in and show my experience of this league and help them get over the line," Rothwell told the club website.

"I can't wait to finally get going and put my boots on, and hopefully we can get the club back to where it belongs."

Southampton are third in the Championship, just three points behind Ipswich in second place.

Director of football Jason Wilcox added: "Joe is a quality addition who gives us further strength and depth in the squad, which will be particularly important as the season goes on.

"We're very pleased to be able to bring in a player of his experience and ability."

Southampton have signed winger David Brooks from Bournemouth on loan until the end of the season.

The 26-year-old requested a move to play regular first-team football.

The Wales international has made 13 Premier League appearances this season, scored one goal and had two assists in last week's FA Cup fourth-round romp against Swansea City.

"I want to be playing regular minutes and this opportunity was one I couldn't really turn down," said Brooks.

He joins Southampton's Championship promotion push having missed 18 months of football after being diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkin lymphoma, and returned to action last March.

Brooks told the Saints website: "I'm really happy. With the past couple of years with my situation, just to come here and try and get some game time, I'm really looking forward to it and can't wait to get started."

Bournemouth chief executive Neill Blake told the Cherries website: "Having discussed David's situation with him this month, and taking into account his desire to be playing more minutes of first-team football, we have accepted his request to authorise such a move.

"There has been a certain level of reluctance on our part, as David means a great deal to us all at the club. It is because of this that we respect his wishes, and look forward to his return where he will continue to be a valuable asset to our squad, hopefully for many years to come."

Brooks joins Cherries team-mate Joe Rothwell in moving to St Mary's on loan this month, while former team-mate Ryan Fraser is also at Saints for the season on loan from Newcastle.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »