Thread Rating:
Bradford News
Bradford City have offered a new deal to League Two's top scorer Andy Cook, whose contract expires this summer.

The 32-year-old scored 28 goals as the Bantams finished sixth in the fourth tier before losing to Carlisle in the play-offs.

Defender Liam Ridehalgh, 32, and midfielder Alex Gilliead, 27, have also been offered new deals.

However, veteran midfielder Adam Clayton, 34, and winger Abo Eisa, 27, have been released.

Charlie Wood, Cole Roberts, Jack Wilson, Kian Scales, Oscar Threlkeld and Yann Songo'o will also leave the club when their deals expire at the end of June.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

League Two leading scorer Andy Cook has signed a new three-year contract with Bradford City.

The 31-year-old netted 28 goals to top of the fourth division's scoring chart and hit the back of the net 31 times in all competitions last season.

Cook, who initially joined the Bantams on loan from Mansfield in January 2021, has scored 51 goals in 115 appearances for the club.

"I did have options elsewhere, but I wanted to stay here," Cook said.

"I want to finish the business we started last season, and pick up where I left off on a personal note."

Bradford finished sixth in the League Two table and went out of the play-offs at the semi-final stage against Carlisle.

Wing-back Clarke Oduor has joined Bradford City on a three-year contract.

The 23-year-old Kenya international was released by Barnsley and becomes the Bantams' first summer signing.

He made 57 appearances for the Tykes after arriving from Leeds in 2019, but was loaned to Hartlepool last season, where he scored once in 14 appearances.

He can also play as a winger or full-back and scored the Barnsley goal against Brentford that secured their Championship status in 2019-20.

Oduor, whose one cap for Kenya came in a 2-1 friendly win over Zambia in 2020, said: "This is a huge club with a great fanbase, so I cannot wait to get going.

"I am here to hopefully help us get back up the leagues. It is a three-year contract, so I am just looking forward to kicking on here"

Bradford City have signed defender Ash Taylor from Scottish Premiership side Kilmarnock on a two-year contract.

The 32-year-old made 41 appearances for Killie last season as the Ayrshire side avoided relegation.

Taylor made more than 200 appearances for Tranmere after coming through their academy and has also had spells at Aberdeen, Northampton and Walsall.

"The stature and history of the club is what attracted me," Taylor told the Bantams website.

"The potential is a lot higher than where we currently are, and I want to be part of the journey."

Bradford finished sixth in League Two last season but lost to Carlisle United in the play-off semi-finals.

Bradford City have signed midfielder Kevin McDonald on a two-year deal after he turned down a new contract with Exeter City.

The 34-year-old joined the Grecians on a short-term deal in January and scored three times in 11 appearances.

He returned to football in February 2022 after having a kidney transplant in May 2021.

"I do not want to come here and see out a career, I want to be here to get promoted," he told the club website.

Bradford City have signed forward Tyler Smith on a three-year contract following his release by Championship side Hull City.

The 24-year-old began his career with Sheffield United and had spells on loan with Bristol Rovers, Swindon Town, Doncaster Rovers Barrow and Rochdale.

He made 39 senior appearances in total during his time with the Tigers.

"There has been work behind the scenes for a while, but it's nice to get it done so I can get to work," he said.

"I am an energetic and hard-working striker, who likes to make runs in behind, and play off the shoulder. I have got experience in the Championship, and I can bring that here, where hopefully I can contribute to goals.

"This is a massive club, the biggest in the division, and I am looking forward to hopefully helping the boys go one better this season and get promoted."

Bradford City midfielder Alex Gilliead has signed a new two-year deal.

The 27-year-old's previous contract was due to expire on Friday.

Gilliead, who started his career with Newcastle United, spent the 2017-18 season on loan with the Bantams before returning on a permanent basis after leaving Scunthorpe United in June 2021.

"I am buzzing to have signed on and am happy to be here. The first aim is to go one better than we did last season," he told the club website.

Bradford City have signed right-back Daniel Oyegoke on a season-long loan from Premier League side Brentford.

The 20-year-old spent time on loan with MK Dons in League One last season and made 18 appearances for the club.

He was eventually recalled by the Bees and went on to help their B team win the 2022-23 Premier League Cup.

"I like to think of myself as a fast and powerful right-back. I am good defensively and hopefully I can show people that," he told the club website.

Bradford City midfielder Harry Chapman has been charged by the Football Association with breaching betting rules.

The charges relate to 2017 when the 25-year-old was playing for Championship side Blackburn.

Bradford said in a statement that Chapman has the club's "full support" and will continue training with his team-mates.

Chapman has until Thursday, 6 July to respond to the charges.

Under FA rules and regulations, there is a worldwide ban on betting on football in place for those involved in the sport from the Premier League level down to step three of the non-league pyramid.

This includes betting on matches and other football-related matters such as transfers, signings, managerial appointments and sackings, or team selections.

Bradford have signed former Newcastle winger Adam Wilson from The New Saints on a three-year deal.

Wilson, 23, was the Welsh club's player of the season after helping them to a league and cup double.

He previously spent four years at Newcastle, featuring regularly in their reserves as well as in the EFL Trophy.

"This is a big club that should be a lot higher up in the leagues, with a great manager and fanbase, so it was difficult to say no," said Wilson.

"I love playing in front of big crowds. I did it a few times at Newcastle, and it really gets your adrenaline going."

Bradford City have signed 19-year-old winger Chisom Afoka on loan from Aston Villa for the remainder of the season.

Afoka is yet to make a senior appearance, having begun his career with West Brom before joining Villa in 2020.

"I am a winger who likes to take people on and try and create - whether that is with my passing or one-v-one ability," Afoka told the Bradford City website.

Bradford have begun their League Two campaign with two wins from five matches and play Mansfield on Saturday.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »