Thread Rating:
Stoke news
Former England centre-back Phil Jagielka is among seven players to be released by Stoke City.

The 40-year-old, who agreed a contract extension last December to the end of the season, played 30 games in 2022-23.

And he marked the 600th league start of his career with a goal in a 3-0 win over Huddersfield in February.

Fellow defenders Morgan Fox, Aden Flint and Demeaco Duhaney, forward Nick Powell and midfielders Sam Clucas and Tashan Oakley-Boothe are also leaving.

Fox made 43 appearances this season and Powell scored four goals in 26 games.

Flint played nine times before spending the second half of the season on loan at Sheffield Wednesday, while Oakley-Boothe and Duhaney had loan spells at Lincoln and Turkish club Istanbulspor.

'We know what we need to fix' - Stoke boss Neil
Meanwhile, midfielder Mario Vrancic has joined Croatian club Rijeka on a permanent basis, having spent this season with them on loan.

"It is well documented that we are looking to execute a significant reset within our squad ahead of the new season," said technical director Ricky Martin.

"The result of players leaving the club is that it provides additional scope for us to recruit in the transfer market, as we look to put building blocks in place that help us progress towards a successful future."

Stoke finished 16th in the table, 16 points short of the play-off places but nine points clear of the bottom three.

They have taken up one-year options in the contracts of Jack Bonham and Blondy Nna Noukeu, and also offered a new deal to fellow goalkeeper Frank Fielding for next season.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Stoke City have made their first signing of the summer by bringing in Republic of Ireland international defender Enda Stevens following his departure from Sheffield United.

The 32-year-old full-back has signed a one-year contract with the Potters.

"Enda is a really strong addition," said technical director Ricky Martin. "He knows the standards required to succeed in the Championship."

Stevens twice won promotion from the Championship with the Blades.

Stevens to leave Sheffield United after six years
Listen to BBC Radio Stoke's A Cold Wet Tuesday Night podcast
Dublin-born Stevens, who has made 25 international appearances, began his career with Shamrock Rovers before being signed in 2012 by Aston Villa, where he made nine first-team appearances.

After loans out to Notts County, Doncaster Rovers (twice) and Northampton Town, he moved permanently to Portsmouth in 2015 before joining the Blades in May 2017.

"Stoke City is a club of strong stature," said Stevens. "If we can play in a similar way to the Alex Neil teams I've come up against in the past, I have a belief that we can be really competitive in the Championship this season.

"I am really excited to work with the gaffer and the boys this week before heading out to Spain for the training camp. It feels like the club is at the start of an ambitious project."

toke City have named Paul Gallagher as first-team coach, reuniting the former Potters striker with Alex Neil, who he played under at Preston.

Gallagher, 38, has left Deepdale, where he was assistant to Frankie McAvoy and current boss Ryan Lowe.

His exit ends a 10-year stay at Preston that included more than 300 appearances across four spells.

Gallagher had two loans with Stoke, one during the 2005-06 season and another for three months at the start of 2008.

He scored 12 goals in 47 games in his time in the Potteries before spending 2008-09 at Plymouth ahead of a move to Leicester City, where he spent six seasons until moving to Preston for a second time in October 2013.

Gallagher, who said it was "naturally appealing" to work with Neil again, played under the current Stoke boss for four years at Deepdale, with Neil giving his fellow Scot his first coaching job when he retired from playing in 2021.

"Paul is an important addition to our coaching team," Stoke technical director Ricky Martin said.

"He has earned a reputation at Preston as a high-quality operator and is fulfilling the potential Alex previously saw in him.

"Alex has spoken in glowing terms about Paul's ability to understand and relay tactical information ever since his playing days, so it is no surprise to see him now enjoying success as a coach."

Championship side Stoke City have re-signed midfielder Ben Pearson on a four-year contract from Bournemouth.

The 28-year-old became a regular in Alex Neil's side after initially joining on loan in January.

Pearson played 55 times for the Cherries after joining from Preston, where he also worked with manager Neil.

He was part of the Bournemouth side that won promotion to the Premier League in 2021-22, but failed to land a regular place in the top flight.

Stoke technical director Ricky Martin said signing Pearson had been important after he impressed in his 14 appearances for them last season.

"He knows what it takes to win in the Championship having been successful with Preston and Bournemouth. He also thrives off working with Alex and is well suited to the high tempo football we want to play," he said.

"The fans responded positively to his quality, work ethic and clear desire to win, something he wears on his sleeve every time he steps onto the pitch."

It is not known whether Stoke have paid a fee for Pearson, who was still under contract with Bournemouth.

Pearson added: "I think the manager has a trust in me and what I can deliver on the pitch for him in terms of my consistency, work rate and execution of the gameplan.

"That trust is reciprocated, and I firmly believe he has a playing style and methods that will be successful in the Championship."

Championship side Stoke City have signed former Coventry City centre-back Michael Rose on a two-year deal.

The 27-year-old Scot left the Sky Blues as a free agent this summer after making 116 appearances in four seasons.

He was part of the Coventry side to win promotion from League One in 2020 and played 24 league games as the Sky Blues reached last season's play-off final.

"He arrives with plenty of experience but also with his best years ahead," said technical director Ricky Martin.

Stoke City have made their fourth signing for the new Championship season after agreeing a two-year deal with Preston midfielder Daniel Johnson.

The move to the Potteries ends the 30-year-old's eight-year stay at Deepdale, where he made more than 300 appearances after leaving Aston Villa in 2015.

Johnson will also be reunited with Stoke boss Alex Neil, who he played under at Preston for four years.

He joins Enda Stevens, Ben Pearson and Michael Rose as new recruits at Stoke.

Johnson joins the Potters on a free transfer following the expiry of his contract at fellow Championship side Preston.

"Adding Championship know-how and experience to the first team is clearly important as we structure the squad ahead of the new season," Potters technical director Ricky Martin told the club website.

"Daniel is well respected for the quality of his performances over a sustained period at Preston North End and thrived in Alex's tactical approach, playing some of the best football of his career to date in the four years they worked together."

Stoke City have re-signed defender Ki-Jana Hoever on a season-long loan from Premier League side Wolves.

The 21-year-old scored four goals in 17 games during a loan spell last term.

"I loved it here," the former Ajax and Liverpool youth player told the club's official website. "The support from the fans has been influential in my decision to return.

The Potters have also signed 23-year-old Portuguese winger Chiquinho on a season-long loan from Wolves.

Chiquinho has made eight Premier League appearances for Wolves
Chiquinho has made eight Premier League appearances for Wolves
Wolves have included a January recall option on Hoever, who said: "I've seen a lot of positive messages on social media and I want to play where I am loved and appreciated."

Chiquinho, who has made eight Premier League appearances, said he had spoken to Hoever ahead of his decision to move to the Potteries.

"He told me that he believes I will have the opportunity to be successful here because of the way the team plays," he added.

Andre Vidigal
Andre Vidigal won promotion with Fortuna Sittard in the Netherlands
Stoke City have signed forward Andre Vidigal from Portuguese club Maritimo for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old, who represented Portugal at under-21 level and can play through the middle or as a winger, has signed a three-year contract.

He was previously at Dutch club Fortuna Sittard and had spells on loan with Estoril in Portugal and Cypriot outfit Apoel Nicosia.

"This is an exciting new challenge for me," he told the Stoke website.

"I believe that Stoke City is a club with ambitions that match my own, which is to play at the highest level."

Stoke City have signed Bournemouth goalkeeper Mark Travers on a season-long loan in their eighth signing for the new Championship campaign.

Travers, 24, was the division's golden glove winner as the Cherries were promoted in 2021-22, playing 45 times.

The Republic of Ireland keeper made 12 Premier League appearances in 2022-23.

"For a goalkeeper of his age to have already achieved what he has in the game is rare and remarkable," Potters technical director Ricky Martin said.

Martin added: "He has featured in international football, played in the Premier League and - perhaps most importantly - was a standout performer when Bournemouth got promoted a couple of seasons ago."

Travers is Stoke's third loan arrival of the summer after manager Alex Neil added Portuguese winger Chiquinho and re-signed defender Ki-Jana Hoever on season-long loans from Premier League side Wolves.

Andre Vidigal, Enda Stevens, Ben Pearson, Michael Rose and Daniel Johnson have joined the club permanently.

"This is a great opportunity to test myself in the Championship again and I am pleased to have had the interest from Stoke City," said Travers, who made his Bournemouth debut in 2019 after a spell in their youth ranks and has won three international caps.

"It is a chance for me to play for a great manager at a really exciting time for the club, especially with the new signings that are arriving.

"I have heard good things about the club from players here now - including Ben Pearson and Enda Stevens - and others who have played here before.

"I feel like this is an exciting project and the next step in my career. The season is only just around the corner and I cannot wait to get going."

Stoke City have signed Brazilian striker Wesley from Aston Villa on 'a permanent deal'.

Wesley was Villa's then club record £22m signing when he was bought by then boss Dean Smith from Belgian side Club Brugge following promotion to the Premier League in 2019.

But he suffered a knee injury in his first season and spent 15 months out.

He did figure briefly for Villa at the end of the 2020-21 season, but twice was loaned out in the 2021-22 campaign.

He returned to Club Brugge for three months, then followed that with a move back to Brazil to join Internacional.

He then spent last season on loan with Spanish side Levante in La Liga II.

Wesley, who has been signed just eight days before the start of the new season, follows the arrival of defender Enda Stevens, Bournemouth midfielder Ben Pearson and keeper Mark Travers, Coventry defender Michael Rose, Preston midfielder Daniel Johnson, Portuguese striker André Vidigal, and Wolves duo Ki-Jana Hoever and Chiquinho.

Stoke, 16th in last season's Championship, start the 2023-24 campaign with a home game against Rotherham United on Saturday, 5 August.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »