Thread Rating:
We (we) are in a Final at Wembley
You have to wonder wtf your manager was doing as well. Didn't he xxxx off to the dressing room during penalties ?
Well if you look at his face Jim you might guess the high blood pressure was kicking in big time by then. Unless we'd put in an outfield player in to face the penalties there wasn't much more he could have done at that stage. County's penalties were good, but I quite like big Archie Mair and the saves he made weren't gimees. He looked as though he wanted to save some, poor old Fitzsimmons, who will have to live the rest of his life with these memories, looked as though he wanted to be tucked up in bed.
A bridge too far for us. All it boiled down to in the end was our or our keepers inconsistency. He looked solid for 80 whatever minutes then bang he decided that we didn't deserve to win.
Up to that point we actually looked like winners. We defended well and despite all the second half pressure we just soaked it up.
Oh well next season he won't be here.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
The point Dancing is, he shouldn't have been here this season. If we can't tell in a whole season he isn't up to it ......... and I've been able to identify it after a few games and have never stopped harping on about it ............ we'll probably make the same mistake again. Your keeper is vital in big games.

We had beaten Notts County when Fitzsimmons intervened. He hadn't had much to do but he'd looked confident UNTIL ....... suddenly he didn't even know where to stand for Bostock's long-range and very hopeful effort. Penalties for someone with a keeper's instincts should have been a shot at redemption - he looked like a shell-shock victim about to face the firing squad. Poor bloke wasn't up to it and gets to live with that forever; he'll never be back at Wembley!

Lots of things I can't do in this life, but I know a keeper when I see one. Fitzsimmons seemed as though he'd picked up what he knew on YouTube. Covolan is slightly mental, but he has the instincts of a keeper. We need a sane one who isn't just painting by numbers.

We did very well, even when our substitutions weakened us. We were the better team. County deserved to go up for their 107 pts, but not for Saturday.

Chesterfield produced the two greatest English goalkeepers ever to have lived in Gordon Banks and apparently Sam Hardy. WE should not be allowing that proud tradition to die an ignominious death.
We won't attract world class keepers to non league. The decision to start the season with a lunatic as our No1 backfired spectacularly. It was then a matter of who was still available. The fact Fitzsimmons didn't have a club should have told us something.
Let's see what happens over the next 2 months but it would be my priority.
Big Bore Exhaust = Small Dick
Well Nick Pope played non-league on loan ....... very successfully.

Archie Mair is a Scottish U-21 international.

Wrexham signed an old former international to get them over the line.

But I'm talking about a young Tommy-Lee-to-be maybe. We won't get Grant Smith now, Yeovil's new owner is keeping them full-time, seems brilliantly committed to the club, is local and a fan and has bought the ground back too.

My worst nightmare would be that we sign Slocombe, because County will surely ditch him. He could've lost them the game in about the first seven minutes.

I just feel we go on random-select when it comes to keepers and I think the relationship they form with defences is vital. It's not a choice you make when everything else is sorted. Guardiola got Ederson because he could use both hands and feet, was the right character who would slot into how his teams were going to play. He ticked the boxes. We don't seem to have any boxes ....
So Scunthorpe have signed Fitzcalamity on a two year deal, where he always wanted to be, and I wish he had been on Saturday. Good riddance.

Grant Smith has been released by Yeovil. Well I'd sign him as a safe option and look for a young loanee from the Premier League or EFL ........ One of the things wrong with young keepers in this country is that they don't play competitive games that matter early enough. Two proper keepers for next season please. And do it now, not when only the picked-over rubbish is left on the shelf.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »