Thread Rating:
Hibs v Dundee United, Sat 14 Jan, KO 3.00pm
This will be a tricky fixture v a team fighting for survival at the bottom end of the Scot Prem. Hibs returning to a home fixture after registering a very welcome 2-3 victory v the Steelmen and 3 pts that give them a little bit of "breathing space" to push on into the fight for a top four place. No time for complacency all the same and our mindset really should be positive - onwards and upwards!! It wasn't that long ago Hibs had a solid stranglehold on this particular fixture with United hardly registering any positive result. This position has changed slightly in recent times and IMO one of the main reasons for this change is the loss of Martin Boyle who always played well in this fixture. More recently, we were previously done by some absolutely outrageous refereeing decisions!! I'm hoping the return of Aiden McGeady compensates for the loss of Boyle: his presence, together with Kevin Nisbet's impressive scoring prowess, could give us the edge to win this game. Our defence still concerns me to the point I've previously suggested that we bring in new decent defenders who can strengthen what we've got. Porto isn't perfect, but he is our best CB at the club and it is noticeable that Hibs play well when he is motivated to drive Hibs forward from a CB or midfield position. However, he needs help. At the mo, Hibs not moving to do anything on the transfer front. I know who I'd bring in to improve this team in certain positions and I'd be very, very confident of positive results after such action. Hibs coaching/management staff must have a good inkling re the areas of concern as well. C'mon Hibs! Winning another 3 pts will be huge in pushing on now!!

GGTTH
It all came true, 0762. Thankfully Kevin Nisbet continues to impress - 7 goals in 6 games. The question is can he score more goals than our defence concede?

I'm absolutely certain Nisbet will be a marked man in the Cup-tie and have the bruises to prove it.
Cabbage is still good for you
Just back and I must say what a fantastic striker Kevin Nisbet is since returning from the that horrible knee injury. McGeady was effectively "marked out" today, but thankfully Kevin still undeterred in scoring vg goals and could attain legendary status at this rate!! My anger still centres on Johnson's inability to deal with a leaking defence that every opposing Scot footie team, playing v Hibs, will always fancy their chances against this defensive set up and the way these particular Hibs defenders "go about their business". We should've signed better players to resolve these issues by now!!! Therefore our accountable people at HFC can't be that serious re our prospects for the season ahead!! I just hope they quickly prove me wrong - PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG FGS!!!!
Another shocker of a team selection, and set of tactics today, Porto in that role takes any pace out of our play, Campbell at RB???.... Fish just isnae good enough i'm afraid..... Capped off by more pish in his interview afterwards. Nisbet is keeping him in a job at the moment as he is a natural goalscorer but its glaringly obvious there is little in the way of a game plan at Hibs.

Looks to me like he's getting the season no matter what, defender coming in next week. We can only hope its someone who will come straight in and make an impact.
0762 likes this post
Jim, I'm convinced Hibs have given up on this footie season for whatever reason!!? And yet Gordon et al WERE happy to advertise and pull in lotsa ST interest with promises of great times ahead!! Rolleyes It's very clear that Johnson isn't the manager we need; he doesn't have the tactical nous to deal with problematical games where opposing managers use tactics to gain an advantage and even change it during the game. IMO there are three important actions in a footie manager's role to try and win a match. The first one is his wise choice of starting line-up v opponents who I'd expect him to have good knowledge of well before the fixture date. The second is his HT talk, very important IMO esp when deciding how to negotiate either a challenging second half or carrying on with the good work from a positive first half performance. Thirdly, the effective use of substitutes, roughly around the hour mark (or later), to ensure the team is being enhanced to register a positive result of some sort. I'd argue that Johnson has failed on every one of these pre-requisites needed of a vg manager!! Thumb down I can't believe what has been unfolding right up to now and very little being done about it. Also note that Joe Newell is apparently suspended from next week's Scot Cup tie due to a red card picked up last season!! Thumb down I wonder how Johnson will cover that midfield loss alone!!? I know how I'd do it with what's available (not that great btw!) to me. However, I've no idea what formation or strategy will enter this guy's head TBF!! We're never gonna win the Scottish Cup anyway and neither are our opponents. But we still wanna try to put in a damn good battling performance on our home ground and in front of a huge home support that will demand nothing less than that!!

GGTTH
hibeejim21 likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »