Thread Rating:
Qatar World Cup final: Argentina v France, 18 Dec 2022
The FIFA "dream final" is almost upon us and this is certainly an intriguing one. Will Kylian Mbappe "push on" in winning his second consecutive World Cup medal for France and even progress further to challenge Pele's record number of World Cup winner's medals in the years to come? Or will Lionel Messi "rise to the occasion" and lead his team to what appears to be his footie destiny in ending his international career with the ultimate reward - a winner's medal!? Will Lady Luck play a big part in deciding this match? Will VAR decide it in a controversial or non-controversial way? This will hopefully be a game where goals decide what side takes up the triumphant position on the winner's podium, and not goals scored in a pk competition!! Bring it on - all to play for!!
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football...bdff85215a
And so it comes to pass that Argentina and Lionel Messi are World Cup winners - a great 3-3 final, but sadly winning it in a pk competition! Mbappe scoring a historic "hat trick" and still picking up a loser's medal. Messi and Mbappe absolutely "lit up" this final with some great footie on display and the French lad who missed that "sitter" in the dying secs of ET will have nightmares - should've "roofed it" and given Martinez no chance to save it!! I think the future is still bright for France. They look like they have a new generation of impressive young footballers with Mbappe at the forefront of this team. Also there was definitely something not right with France for a significant part of this match up to the 80 min mark? Was it the reported bug/illness that affected a lot of the French players? Their energy levels and resolve not the same as in other matches until that "spark" of a pk goal after Otamendi stupidly committed that foul in his own pen box - a needless challenge on a player who wasn't gonna score! More info to follow re this issue methinks! Anyway, it doesn't matter - Argentina crowned World Champs in a great advert for footie!! From a footie perspective on these islands, I realise there is a long way to go after watching this level of footie performance and endeavour - lets not kid ourselves re the high quality and resolve that was witnessed today!!
Goals change games and the first French pen did also credit to DD made some brave calls with those first half subs, great entertainment.
French favourites for Euro 2024
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Great final, 2 very good sides.
I don't think England would have matched the intensity and quality those sides showed yesterday.

I'm really pleased for Messi, he has given the world a lot of joy.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »