Thread Rating:
Town v Wigan
Huddersfield Town v Wigan Athletic
The Sky Bet Championship
Tuesday September 13th - 19:45 ko
at the John Smith's Stadium

[Image: Luq8GxT.jpg]

Huddersfield Town welcome Wigan Athletic to the John Smith's on Tuesday night for the first game under the reign of King Charles III, the artist formerly known as Prince.

And what better opposition could we hope for than Wigan with football's favourite gobshite in their ranks, James McClean. Confused

So with the match at QPR being postponed, this one is now in the middle of three home games in a row. We all felt robbed last week in the much talked about defeat against Blackpool. And on Saturday, we welcome Cardiff City here, before taking a break for some international games.

Our position in the table and the bad mouthing of our manager Danny Schofield, the Town legend, on radio and social media, makes these two games essential that we take the full six points, just to shut the critics up for a while. Why are fans so set against young Dan? Very strange that they won't give him a chance, but they backed yond Spanish lad, who came here with exactly the same experience as Danny and started off with a similar poor start? Very strange! Huh

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.......

A brief history of Wigan Athletic: formed in 1932, the fifth attempt at getting a football club established in the Rugby League town. The previous ones being  Wigan A.F.C., Wigan County, Wigan United, Wigan Town and Wigan Borough.

All of them played at Springfield Park and on gaining entry to the Cheshire League, Athletic set about gaining entry to the Football League. It only took them 46 years, but in 1978 their dreams were fulfilled when Southport weren't re-elected and the Latics came top of the vote. This was still eight years before automatic promotion between the FL and the Conference.

They had spent the last ten years in the Northern Premier League and now they were in Division 4, finishing that first season in 6th, three places above the once famous northern powerhouse, Huddersfield Town. Blush

[Image: dwENh5J.jpg]

Ian McNeill had been their manager throughout this early Football League life, but he was sacked and replaced by Larry Lloyd in 1981. He got them  promoted to the 3rd Division, but was given the elbow when the Board of Directors, with ageing World Cup winner Bobby Charlton a member, decided to give Bob the job.

That was just temporary though and soon Harry McNally was in the Wigan hot seat. He was eventually replaced by Bryan Hamilton, who brought the club it's first trophy when in 1985 they become the second winners of the Associate Members Cup, which we all now lovingly know as the Papa Johns Trophy. They beat Brentford at Wembley on a sunny June afternoon by three goals to one. Mike Newell, Tony Kelly and David Lowe scoring the goals.

Hamilton was lured away by Leicester and his assistant Ray Mathias, took them to the Play Offs. This was in 1987, the first ever Football League Play Offs, which they lost to Swindon Town. Hamilton soon returned to the club, but couldn't stop them getting relegated in 1993. Kenny Swain, then Graham Barrow had a go at managing, but by 1995, they were really struggling with an average attendance below 2,000.

Then things started to improve. First of all, the club was taken over by ex Blackburn and Crewe Alexandra defender, Dave Whelan, who owned a sport shop in the town. He brought in a new manager, John Deehan, who would later be assistant to Steve Bruce at the McAlpine. He got them up as champions, but left soon after to go work with Bruce at Sheffield Utd.

[Image: I7dPWM9.jpg]

Mathias came back and they won the Trophy again. This time it was Millwall and Paul Rogers got the winner in injury time in a 1-0 Wembley win. Later that season, they made the Play Offs but got beat by Man City in the semis.

The next season they went one better, reaching the Final, but lost 3-2 to Gillingham. That was the season that they moved into the newly built JJB Stadium with John Benson in charge. With the new stadium, they were looking more attractive to big name managers and so Bruce Rioch became manager, before the biggest name in football took over, Steve Bruce, who had just been sacked by Huddersfield Town.

[Image: E6DuWgX.jpg]

Brucey boy got them to the Play Offs, but obviously failed. Couldn't beat Reading. He walked out on them when Crystal Palace came knocking and Whelan replaced one clown with another. Paul JewellLaugh

He started well, losing to Canvey Island in the FA Cup, but then got them promoted to the Championship. Even more unbelievably they then just missed out on a Play Off spot, but won automatic promotion in the next season and Wigan Athletic were in the Premier League.

They stuck around in the Primadonnaship for eight seasons. Jewell left at the end of the second one, with ex Town full back Chris Hutchings getting the job. He only lasted 12 games though. Whelan had been wheeler dealing a deal to bring back Bruce, Steve, not Rioch.

Bruce went about his usual business of trying to bankrupt the club by buying over priced, over rated players, before quitting due to lack of funds and taking the job at Sunderland.

That brought ex player Roberto Martinez back to the club and he was in charge when they got stuffed 9-1 at Tottenham. Despite this though, they survived relegation, beating Arsenal on the final day.

The next season saw another last day survival. Having been in the bottom three all season, they beat Blackburn 1-0 at Ewood Park to send the chicken pluckers down instead.

They were millions in debt by now but then went and won the FA Cup in 2013, beating moneybags Man City 1-0 at Wembley. Ben Watson scored the winner in injury time. Celebrations were muted though as three days later, they lost to Arsenal and were relegated.

[Image: oxYgt6N.jpg]

Martinez didn't stick around. He went off to Everton, with Owen Coyle taking charge of the first season back in the Championship. He didn't see the season out though. Having won the Cup, they qualified for the Europa League, which they failed miserably at and so Uwe Rösler took over. He got them to the Play Offs, which they lost at the semi stage to QPR.

Rösler left part way through the next one and the club started to unravel spectacularly. Whelan appointed Malky Mackay, who had been sacked for being a racist at Cardiff. Whelan himself made some unwise comments about the Cardiff owner and the FA fined him. This was enough for him to decide to jack it all in and he handed over the reigns to his grandson, David Sharpe.

He sacked Mackay, brought in ex club skipper Gary Caldwell, but it was too late. They were back in League One. Not for long though, bouncing straight back up as champions. Caldwell got the heave ho after a poor start to life back in the Championship. Warren Joyce took over, got sacked and replaced by Graham Barrow returning to the job after 20 years.

It was Paul Cook who got them back up again, but by now, Whelan had completely left, selling out to Hong Kong-based firm International Entertainment Corporation. They were in turn taken over by takeover by Next Leader Fund L.P. Not the best of moves. The club ended up in admin, with a 12 point deduction which saw them relegated again.

They just avoided relegation, but did come back up again as champions for a third time in the 3rd tier and that was last season.

[Image: TBgKnip.jpg]

Head to Head

[Image: T8ZVK3E.jpg]

Town lead the head to head with 13 wins to Wigan's 9, with 8 draws.

Our first ever meeting was in the FA Cup of 1973/74 when Wigan were still non league. They were members of the Northern Premier League and we were in Division Three. Ian Greaves was still our manager and the team on this day had still some of our First Division team playing. Terry Poole, Geoff Hutt, Steve Smith, Bobby Hoy and Terry Dolan all played, but it was a kid who stole the show.

Centre forward Bob Newton, who had made his league debut a couple of weeks before as a 16 year old, scored both goals in a 2-0 win, a day after his 17th birthday.

By 2014, things had changed when they came back to Huddersfield to play us in a 5th round FA Cup match. They were now a Premier league club and we were in the Championship. They absolutely battered us. Callum McManaman, James McArthur and two from Arouna Koné for Wigan and a Lee Novak consolation for us in a 4-1 scoreline.

Our first league meetings came in their first ever FL season in 78/79. We drew at home and lost away. The next season, I got to go to the game at Springfield Park. A strange little ground and I can't think of anywhere else I've watched Town sat on a grass banking behind the goal. Ian Holmes and Peter Fletcher scored in a 2-1 Town win. The return fixture saw us win 4-0. Two for Fletch in that one, plus one each for Brian Stanton and David Cowling.

I've never been to the JJB/DW Stadium. Town first went there in 2001 and lost 1-0. We lost our first three games there, but finally got a 1-0 win in 2015, with Conor Coady getting the only goal of the game. We won again in the 2017 promotion season, when Nahki Wells scored a late winner.

it was a draw on our last visit there, with Karlan Grant equalising after Josh Windass had scored. Wigan have won on their last two visits to the JSS. It was 2-1 to the Latics in 2016. Aaron Mooy with ours and Reece Burke and Yanic Wildschutt for them. Then behind closed doors in June 2020, they won a dire encounter 2-0 with Jamal Lowe scoring and our old favourite Anthony Pilkington scoring the second.

[Image: YtQSyxX.jpg]

So what's going on down in t'pie oyl? Managed nowadays by Leam Richardson, a legend in Accrington.

Born in Leeds in 1979, he's 42 years old and started his professional career, making his debut in a League Cup match in 1999 against Leeds for Blackburn Rovers. He then moved to Bolton, where he was part of the Trotters team that won the Play Offs to win promotion to the Prima Donna League in 2001.

He then moved to Blackpool and in the 2003 New Years Day match against Huddersfield Town, the Terriers were cruising to a 1-0 win with five minutes to go. Richardson took one for the team, getting himself sent off in the widely held knowledge that Huddersfield Town cannot play against ten men. The plan worked to perfection as the Seasiders got a late penalty and a draw. Doh

He then moved to Accrington Stanley, where he stayed for eight years, as a player and then as manager. They were in the Conference when he signed and he played his part in their promotion to the Football League.

John Coleman left Accrington, enticed away by the bright lights of Rochdale. Richardson took over as caretaker, before Paul Cook got the job. He had a bit of deja vu not long after when Cook left for Chesterfield and so he had another caretaker stint. They then gave him the permanent job but after a short while, he left to team up with Cook at the twisty spirey place.

The pair of them then went to Portsmouth and won promotion to League One. They then both went to Wigan in 2017, again winning promotion, this time to the Championship. Cook resigned in 2020 after the club was taken over and went into administration. But Richardson stayed on. John Sheridan came in and kept him on as assistant. Cook then invited him to join him at Ipswich, but the offer was declined.

He was rewarded for his loyalty by being given the honour of becoming manager of Wigan Athletic when Sheridan left. And it's all gone well so far, winning promotion last season and being named League One Manager of the Season.

[Image: psqGymc.jpg]

Last week's line up at Luton:

12 Ben Amos
15 Jason Kerr
5 Jack Whatmough
16 Curtis Tilt
2 Ryan Nyambe
8 Max Power
4 Tom Naylor
11 James McClean
19 Callum Lang
28 Josh Magennis
10 Will Keane

Subs:
1 Jamie Jones
18 Graeme Shinnie
20 Nathan Broadhead
21 Joe Bennett
23 Ashley Fletcher
25 Rarmarni Edmonds-Green
30 Thelo Aasgaard

Wigan in popular culture:

Limahl from Kajagoogoo was born in Pemberton and they recorded this Huddersfield Town anthem in 1983.

Pete Shelley of Buzzcocks, was born in Leigh, in the borough of Wigan.

Also born in Leigh. Georgie Fame.

Recent form - last 6 matches:

Town 0-1 Blackpool
Bristol C 2-0 Town
Town 2-2 WBA
Norwich 2-1 Town
Town 3-1 Stoke
Town 1-4 PNE (EFL Cup)

Luton 1-2 Wigan
Wigan 1-1 WBA
Wigan 1-5 Burnley
Birmingham 0-1 Wigan
Wigan 1-1 Bristol C
Fleetwood 1-0 Wigan (EFL Cup)

Town are 23rd in the Championship table with 4 points. Wigan are 14th with 10.

Leading scorers:

Terriers:
Faustino Anjorin (2)
Danny Ward (2)
Jordan Rhodes (2)

Piemen:
Will Keane (2)

Royal Anagrams: Keeping it topical. Rolleyes
  1. Hazel Been Quiet 
  2. Erik Eggnog VI
  3. Be Julie 
  4. Wild Ancestors 
  5. Regal Chinks 

[Image: vEJkLNM.jpg]
talkSAFT, SHEP_HTAFC, jjamez And 1 others like this post
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
1 could be queen Elizabeth possibly
Lord Snooty likes this post
Another day, another door, another high, another low
I suppose No5 is Prince Charles, ........, er King Charles. I'm taking my lead from the BBC commentary from Jane Hill and Robert Lacey, who still haven't caught up.
Lord Snooty likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
I was going to put a section in the QPR thread about schof. Do we think Wigan is a must win or is it a must get a win from one of the next two games before the international break?

If he was to go, where do we go, who do we go for?
A survey on DATM said that most want Wagner back.
(12-09-2022, 10:03)Lord Snooty Wrote: A survey on DATM said that most want Wagner back.

Well they would but no point in Wagner coming back unless Dean is prepared to back him with improving the squad
Yeah, but it's out of time for anyone to improve the squad unless you find a suddenly winning formula with what we have and otherwise you have to run with what you have. Yes it worked for the Florists last year but they had a squad that should have been in the top 3 for at least 3 or 4 seasons and they finally appointed a manager that woke them up.

We've a squad that is at best lower 3rd. Last season it was probably middle 3rd and somehow finished actually 3rd due to a lot of things going our way. Even the supposed runaway leaders didn't run away with anything last season.

The Florists got lucky with it last season with appointing Cooper after so many prior failures and have bought nigh on two full squads plus a few they've hung onto this season (costing more than we spent in two seasons) and they are top of the Prem? No, not close and er not likely will be this season. Just as likely to come back down as we were.

I'd like Buxton back but quite honestly I'd like to leave the owd bugger in retirement. Hazelton has popped his clogs so he'd need a new assistant anyway. Not sure who I'd pick for that job.
A guide to cask ale.

[Image: aO7W3pZ.png]

Multi-tasking. I can listen, ignore and forget all at the same time.
Florist had Hughton in charge. A name that had Wagner not been available, would be top of a lot of Town fan's wish list.
my heart would like wagner, but i do feel like he has a legacy here, one which was nearly ruined by that second premier league season, i think if he stayed it would have still been in tact even if we didnt win many games, we probably would have won more than we did under siewert but not enough. If he came back and it went wrong, ie relegation this season or not hitting the heights and being perennial strugglers for a few seasons again and he ultimately gets sacked, then I think whilst we'd be thankful for his promotion season, there would be a decent sized blot there too.

My head says Hannes Wolf, he was linked with the barno job after Ishmael left, and he was one of the favourites for the Swansea job before Martin got it, Swansea have been picking decent managers recently- Potter, Cooper, Martin, so there must be something about Wolf. It would be a change in ideology again, as it would be a return to a gegenpressing style, but I feel like our squad is probably better suited to that, than a pretty passing sort of game. Wolf has a decent CV really, won the second division with Stuttgart, not terrible at Hamburg, struggled a bit a Genk, had a caretaker spell at Leverkusen which is a pretty big German club and he's currently in the National team set up managing the under 19's and 20's. I'd think the lure of club management may entice his from that role though. Oh did I mention he managed the age group sides and Dortmund b team? we love one of those!

Other potential runners and riders, I've seen Domenec Torrent mentioned, he used to be Pep's sidekick at Barce, Bayern and City until he went on his own at New York City to begin with. Now we are obviously trying to build up relationships with the elite sides to try and get their best youngsters on loan and their best not quites on the cheap, which is fine. This would suit that idea because of that relationship, plus I'd imagine there would be a link with Arsenal too with Arteta being at City when Torrent was. My issue is that at 60, he's had a few roles before Pep but not much can be seen about that, since Pep he has been head honcho 3 times. His record at New York was fine, 29 wins 14 draws, 17 defeats, they probably wanted the MLS title and he didn't deliver. He went to Brazil to manage Flamengo, now it was rumoured prior to COVID we were going to be looking at the South American market for players...that went well, but we don't have any experience there, but he does. His record at Flamengo is 15, 5, 6, which isn't bad, but Brazilian football is notorious for sacking managers very quick, a few defeats in a row and you're gone, it is how it goes down there, especially at Flamengo. His spell at Turkish giants Galatasaray didn't go very well for him and that was the last time he was in a job.

Liam Manning at MK Dons has been mentioned too, now he nearly got them promoted last season and since then has lost key players from him side like Troy Parrott, Scott Twine, Kaine Kesler Hayden and David Kasumu. As such they haven't started as well as they would have liked. In terms of experience he is slightly more experienced than Schofield, having had time at MK Dons and Lommel prior to that, other than that it is age group coaching and management.

As for any other names that I would be interested at looking into more if i was Town would be the likes of;
Manuel Baum- was assistant to Heiko Herrlich for a while before moving into management on his own. Managed Unterhaching for a short unsuccessful spell before moving to Augsberg, eventually becoming their manager for a few seasons. Now his win percentage isn't great there, but Augsberg were essentially what Burnley or Watford were to the Premier League, a team that once in a while produces an upset but largely expected to fight relegation. He is essentially a German Sean Dyche.

I'd put the likes of Michael Carrick and John Terry in the same bracket as they both have little to no managerial experience but have played under some high quality managers and coaches. Whilst they may not have managed they have coached but they would still represent a big risk from the club, but maybe not as big a risk as Schofield was.
theo_luddite and Lord Snooty like this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »