Thread Rating:
WBA vs Cardiff & Hull - Match Thread
[Image: 0-HAPGHJDEBRE3-PBJD67-TIC3-H4-R4.jpg]

Even at such an early stage of the season, fewer points on the board than games played is never a pretty sight, and in the Championship it's an ignominy that Albion haven't suffered for many a long year. This week, with its back-to-back home matches, is therefore huge for the team and manager. If we're hoping to spend the campaign anywhere near the right end of the table, it's not unreasonable to expect that at the bare minimum, our two points from three matches will become five from five by Saturday evening. For the sake of confidence alone, a win this week is a must.

Cardiff on Wednesday night arrive with their typically decent track record against us: we've won only two of our last ten encounters with them (though their 2-0 victory in December 2009 was their most recent at the Hawthorns, and their only league triumph over us on the road since 1957). Under manager Steve Morison they've grown adept at grinding out 1-0 wins - both of their victories this season have come in that fashion - and it seems likely that their game-plan for Wednesday will therefore be to keep a clean sheet at all costs and nick a winner if the chance arises. Finding a way of breaking them down is a must, and silly mistakes at the back have to be cut out.

Hull have also enjoyed a good start under the stewardship of Shota Arveladze, with a win against relegated Norwich on Saturday allowing them a heady twenty-four hours at the top of the table. Colombian Óscar Estupiñán was the hero doubling up for the Tigers, and will be one for Albion to watch closely. Unfortunately, it's unlikely Hull will be the generous point-donors they've been to our cause in recent years - our record of six wins in the last seven against them is going to take some hard work to extend - but with home advantage, we have to target this as a winnable game.
The Crown, Lords & Commons are the Crown, Lords & Commons of Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. In the heart of the empire on which the sun never sets, in the land of hope and glory, is Rusty Lane, West Bromwich. What do they know of England who only England know? The answer must be Rusty Lane, West Bromwich.
Same old story really. Doing plenty of huffing and puffing but lacking any real pattern of play.

It's almost like the side has just been thrown together and don't really have any idea how they're going to score a goal...

Probably lucky to have Livermore still on pitch after he barged their bloke straight after getting booked, luckily the ref bottled it and booked their guy instead...

If Bruce doesn't take Livermore off and he's sent off, then he must be sacked.

Hoping for a better 2nd half but it's got that damp squib feel about it that we had last season. Hope I'm wrong and it improves. We have too many good players to keep serving up this tedium.
Plenty of boo’s
Bruce needs to go before it's too late and the rest of the league is out of sight.

What exactly has he improved since he came in?

Yes, we had a good performance against Watford but that's not enough in 4 games.

We did the same last season, beating Fulham and Bournemouth and following them up with damn squibs. This season is the exact same story.

I appreciate it's not his fault that Dike got injured and he's left with Grant. It's not his fault that we haven't got a pot to p*ss in to buy anyone. It's not his fault our squad is threadbare.

But his subs are all wrong. There's no pattern of play. The lads look like they've never played together.

Today was crying out for TGH to replace Furlong and add a bit of extra quality to support Wallace. What does Bruce do? Bring Phillips on for Wallace...

And why Bruce keeps bringing Reach on when we need a goal is beyond me...

At the weekend I saw QPR's goalkeeper score a cracking headed equaliser at Sunderland after going up for a corner. Bruce could've learnt a thing or two from watching that. Players can be duel purpose and we would have a lot more chance scoring bringing on Bartley and piling balls into the box. It's pretty simple really. If you don't create diddly squat from open play, add more threat from set plays.

Seriously have no idea why we gave him the job in the first place and despite the introduction of players who "on paper" can help us create a lot more, we're no better than last season.

Give us a manager with fresh ideas ASAP, while there is still something to play for.
BaggieSteve, Zinman, Blue Baggie And 1 others like this post
Steve, nice guy. Another manager who cannot adopt. Should have gone at the end of last season. Are we brave enough to sack him now. It won't make much difference unless
A) we get out stolen money back NOW.
B) we get a new manager before the window closes.
We desperately need a striker perhaps 2 but we aren't going to pick a goal scorer up on a free. Who ever is in charge needs money and needs it now.
If Steve has not managed to motivate these players after 8 months it's time for him to go. Sean Dyche or Tony Mowbury are available?
IMO we will wait until the window is closed so s new manager cannot spend any money. Just like when Bruce came
Until the thief at the top is gone, we are only heading in one direction.
baggietrousers likes this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
We’ve scored
An own goal
But they all count

2-0
Swift

3-0
Um, furlong with a beauty

Penalty
4-0 grant

4-1 come back on ?!
5-1 O’Shea

5-2
Cracker of a game
An excellent performance or a lucky result that papers over the cracks?

I'm in two minds. When you consider that Hull scored 2 and Button made some very important saves at 0-0, the latter isn't out of the question

But the period after our first goal, which was fortunate, we did play well and look confident.

I think time will tell. We will see if we can recreate that good spell in the next league game or not.

Great to get 3 points on the board and the goals tally up. I'd like to see us tighten up at the back though.
So today it clicked but, you know I did not see anything majorly that different to the majority of the season so far, with the obvious exception of the goals. I still say we have played well for the majority of the 5 games, well 4 1/2 of them anyway, it is just we are lacking the goal scorer, personally I don't see Grant as the answer. Surprisingly we are not hearing many comments about getting Diangana gone, along with Furlong, who were two of if not the two best players on the pitch today and it might have been noticed that Hull's first goal came from the side Furlong had been patrolling, 2 minutes after he was subbed. I also thought, Molumby had the best game, I've seen him play today. Grant was still weak for me and would not have scored if not for the penalty, Swift turned up for 20 minutes total. all in all a good all round team performance.
I must be watching a different side,
Middlesbrough crap first half totally dominant second.
Watford great performance only came unstuck by a wonder goal.
Blackburn again totally dominant, Blackburn 2 shots 2 goals should not have lost.
Cardiff Rubbish performance but Cardiff dark arts of time wasters got what they came for.
Hull so so for 35 mins and grateful to Button,totally dominant for 40mins, take off Yokuslu and Furlong and Ajayi and Phillips go to sleep.
Big pluses Yokuslu we haven’t conceded a goal with him on pitch class act.
Diangana He’s back.
Dara getting better all the time and captaincy well deserved.
5 games in playing well in most parts but will be better when we get a striker in.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »