Thread Rating:
Duff reshaping squad
Barnsley have signed New Zealand goalkeeper Jamie Searle on a two-year deal following his exit from Championship side Swansea City.

The 21-year-old did not make a senior appearance at either Aston Villa or Swansea City, having spent time at both since arriving in the United Kingdom.

He did play for Villa's under-21 side in the EFL Trophy, and won his one All Whites cap against New Caledonia.

"To show what I can do is really what I'm looking forward to," Searle said.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

Barnsley have signed former Celtic midfielder Luca Connell on a free transfer, subject to clearance.

The 21-year-old has agreed a three-year contract with the Tykes, who were relegated to League One last season.

Connell did not make a senior appearance for Celtic, but played 31 games on loan at Queen's Park in 2021-22, scoring seven goals.

"My agent is from Barnsley, so he's told me about the history of the club," Connell told the Tykes' website.

"He brought (Conor) Hourihane and (Kieran) Trippier to the club, so there's high standards. I just know that we need to bounce back to get this club back where it belongs."

Connell, who began his career at Bolton before joining Celtic in 2019, is a Republic of Ireland Under-21 international and he is the second signing made by Barnsley following the appointment of Michael Duff as head coach.

Former Swansea City goalkeeper Jamie Searle arrived at Oakwell on Thursday.

Striker Patrick Schmidt, meanwhile, has left the club to rejoin Admira Wacker in his native Austria.

The 23-year-old played 41 games for Barnsley, most of them as a substitute, but spent of the last two seasons on loan at SV Ried and Esbjerg.

Barnsley have signed Bristol City defender Robbie Cundy on a two-year deal.

The 25-year-old held discussions with the Championship side over a new contract but has opted to join the League One outfit.

Cundy made 14 appearances for Nigel Pearson's side last season.

"It's been in the pipeline for a few weeks now. I'm happy to get it over the line and I can't wait to get started," he told the club website.

Barnsley have signed defender Conor McCarthy on a three-year deal following the end of his contract at Scottish Premiership side St Mirren.

McCarthy, 24, joined the Scottish Premiership side in the summer of 2020 and went on to make 84 appearances.

The Irish centre-back began his career with Cork City and made his first-team debut for the club in 2016.

"Now that it's all signed, sealed and delivered, it's a great feeling," McCarthy told the club website.

"You only have to take one look around at the stadium, the facilities that this club has, and I needed no second invitation to sign for a massive club like this."

Barnsley midfielder Will Hondermarck has signed a new deal to remain with the League One club for a further two years.

The 21-year-old joined Barnsley in September 2021 from Norwich City and made 10 appearances last season.

"It's been in talks for a while now, last season was obviously my breakout season with the first team," he said.

"Getting it over the line now and being able to have that security is a big thing for me."

Barnsley have signed wing-back Nicky Cadden from fellow League One side Forest Green Rovers on a two-year deal.

The 25-year-old had been in talks over a new deal at Rovers, where he scored 10 goals in 87 games, including six in 48 last season.

Cadden, who has played 251 senior matches for clubs such as Airdrieonians and Livingston, joins on a free transfer after his deal expired.

"As soon as I spoke to the club, it was very positive," Cadden said.

"It seemed like they really wanted me. It looks like a great place to play football. I'm excited and can't wait for the season to start."

Barnsley have signed former Ipswich Town striker James Norwood on an initial one-year deal, with an option for a further 12 months.

The 31-year-old left Portman Road at the end of last season after scoring 28 goals in 88 appearances.

Norwood started his career with Exeter and had a spell at Forest Green Rovers before scoring 82 goals in 165 league games for Tranmere.

"I'm really looking forward to getting started," said Norwood.

"I'm proud to wear the shirt."

Norwood becomes Barnsley's sixth summer signing as they prepare for life back in League One under new boss Michael Duff.

Barnsley have signed striker Slobodan Tedic from Manchester City on a season-long loan.

The 22-year-old has yet to make a first-team appearance since arriving at City in January 2020.

He was on loan at Dutch club PEC Zwolle last season, making 38 appearances, and previously had a spell on loan at FK Cukaricki in his native Serbia.

"It has always been a dream of mine to play in England and now I can say that I'm closer to achieving that," he said.

Barnsley have signed Burnley midfielder Adam Phillips for an undisclosed fee and Stoke City defender Tom Edwards on a season-long loan deal.

Phillips, 24, who has signed a three-year deal, spent last season on loan in the third tier with Morecambe.

Edwards, 23, played for ex-Reds boss Gerhard Struber in two loan spells in MLS with New York Red Bulls.

Both players could feature for Michael Duff's side against Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Ziyad Larkeche
Ziyad Larkeche joined Fulham from Paris Saint Germain but has only featured at under-21 level
Fulham have loaned defender Ziyad Larkeche to League One side Barnsley for the remainder of the season.

The 19-year-old, who has played for France at under-20 level, is yet to make a senior appearance but will go into Michael Duff's first-team squad.

Larkeche moved to Craven Cottage from French champions Paris Saint Germain in July 2020 on a free transfer.

"He is a player with potential and we welcome him to Oakwell," chief executive Khaled El-Ahmad said.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »