Thread Rating:
Flint in and Others
Championship side Stoke City have signed centre-back Aden Flint on a one-year contract.

Flint, 32, will leave Cardiff at the end of June, after three years, after being released at the end of his deal.

The defender made 93 appearances and scored 12 goals in his time in the Welsh capital.

Flint began his English Football League career with Swindon, and also spent five years with Bristol City before moving to Middlesbrough.

"I'm delighted to get it over the line, it's been in the pipeline for a few weeks now," Flint said.

"I obviously spoke to the gaffer while I was holiday, and I'm just delighted to be able to get it done."
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

And there are others

Stoke City have signed Arsenal defender Harry Clarke on a season-long loan.

The 21-year-old has played three EFL Trophy games for Arsenal's under-21 side, but has yet to make a senior appearance for the Gunners.

He spent last season on loan in Scotland with Ross County and Hibernian, playing 25 games in total.

"I see Stoke City as a Premier League club like a lot of people do. I want to be part of something special here this year," Clarke told the club website.

Clarke was due to spend next season with Hibernian as well but Arsenal activated a summer break clause last week.

He is the second summer signing by the Potters following experienced Cardiff City centre-back Aden Flint.

"Harry is young and hungry to succeed," said manager Michael O'Neill.

"He's a fantastic athlete with a great deal of potential and we're delighted to have secured his services for the forthcoming season.

Reading midfielder Josh Laurent has signed for Stoke City to become the Potters' third summer signing.

Laurent, 27, rejected an offer of a new Royals deal to join fellow Championship club Stoke on a three-year contract.

"There's been interest from Stoke for a while," Laurent told the club website.

"As soon as it became clear I was going to become a free agent they called to let me know just how interested they were. The manager went down to London to talk to me and that meant a lot."

Stoke boss Michael O'Neill's pursuit of the former QPR, Brentford, Newport County, Hartlepool United, Wigan Athletic and Shrewsbury Town man follows the captures of defenders Aden Flint and Harry Clarke.

"Josh has made a tremendous impact in the Championship over the past couple of years," said O'Neill. "He fits the profile of player we are looking for."

Stoke City have signed versatile winger Liam McCarron from Leeds United for an undisclosed fee.

The 21-year-old, whose only first-team appearance for Leeds was as a substitute in a 4-1 Premier League defeat by Arsenal in December, joins the Potters on a three-year deal.

McCarron, who also plays at left back, joined Leeds from Carlisle in 2019.

"He's hungry to learn and progress his career," Stoke boss Michael O'Neill told the club website.

"Liam is a young man but he has already shown that he can deal with the challenge of first-team football."

Bournemouth have loaned midfielder Gavin Kilkenny to Stoke City on a season-long basis.

The 22-year-old played 18 games for parent club Cherries last season as they won promotion to the Premier League as runners-up to Fulham.

Former Republic of Ireland Under-21 international Kilkenny joined from Dublin-based St Kevin's in 2016, and made 25 appearances in total.

"He's a very good player, he builds the game," Stoke coach Rory Delap said.

"That's something we felt we needed with Joe Allen having left the club and hopefully he'll be a really good addition and help us play the way we want to play."

Stoke City defender Connor Taylor has signed a new three-year contract with the Championship club.

The 20-year-old centre-back spent last season on loan with Bristol Rovers, helping the League Two side sensationally win automatic promotion on the final day of the campaign.

Taylor joined the Potters Academy from Stafford Rangers in 2019.

The boyhood Stoke fan made his first-team debut as a substitute against Coventry City in April 2021.

"I've supported this club since I started loving football so it's brilliant for me," he said. "In my time at the club I feel as though I've improved each year. Hopefully I can continue that."

Stoke head of football operations Andy Cousins said: "We're delighted with Connor. He was picked up from essentially non-league and he was brought into a professional set-up. He excelled when he was out on loan last season with Bristol Rovers so every credit to him."

Stoke City have agreed an improved contract with winger D'Margio Wright-Phillips following his first-team breakthrough last season.

His deal runs to the end of the 2023-24 season, but now includes the option of an extra year.

The 20-year-old made 12 appearances last season, scoring once.

"He's now moving on to more of a first-team contract, which is what we feel he deserves," head of football operations Andy Cousins told the club website.

Stoke signed Wright-Phillips, the son of Shaun and grandson of former England striker Ian Wright, in February 2021 after he came through the academy at Manchester City, playing one EFL Trophy game for their under-21 side.

"I'm very happy to be here and I can't wait to get the season going. (Manager) Michael O'Neill has been a massive influence on me - I broke in quite quickly and he's been like a father figure towards me," he said.

"The coaches have been very influential too, staying out with me after training, doing shooting and other little bits that can help improve my game."

Stoke start the new Championship campaign with a trip to Millwall on 30 July.

Stoke City have signed striker Dwight Gayle from Newcastle United on a two-year contract.

The 32-year-old scored 34 goals in 122 game for the Magpies, who he joined from Crystal Palace in the summer of 2016 in a deal worth a reported £10m.

He is Stoke's sixth signing of the summer but the clubs have not disclosed whether any fee is involved.

"Dwight's track record, particularly in the Championship, is exceptional," said Stoke manager Michael O'Neill.

"There were a number of clubs chasing him so we are really delighted he has chosen to join us."

Gayle first began to attract attention after joining Peterborough United in 2012, initially on loan.

He was signed by Crystal Palace the following summer and played for them in the 2016 FA Cup final against Manchester United, when they lost 2-1 after extra time.

Gayle was Newcastle's leading scorer when they won promotion to the Premier League in 2017, but only made nine appearances last season.

He also spent a season in the second tier on loan at West Brom in 2018-19, scoring 23 goals in 39 league appearances.

Josh Laurent, Aden Flint, Gavin Kilkenny, Harry Clarke and Liam McCarron are the other signings made by Stoke, ahead of their Championship opener away to Millwall on 30 July.

"For me it was about finding a club that was right for me and after speaking to the gaffer and the coaches I heard everything I wanted to hear," Gayle said.

Stoke City have signed Southampton midfielder Will Smallbone on a season-long loan.

The 22-year-old came through the Saints academy and has made 20 first-team appearances since his debut in 2020.

"Will is another creative player. He's an attacking midfielder who can play as a 10 and a eight," said manager Michael O'Neill

"We have an injury situation with Nick Powell so we felt we needed something in that area," he added.

Stoke City have signed Manchester City striker Liam Delap on a season-long loan deal.

The 19-year-old, who is the son of former Potters player and now first-team coach Rory Delap, has made six appearances for the Premier League champions in all competitions.

He could make his Stoke debut against Sunderland on Saturday.

Boss Michael O'Neill told the club website he was "really excited about working with Liam".

Stoke have won one, drawn one and lost two of their four Championship games so far this season.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »