Thread Rating:
Schofield
League Two side Doncaster Rovers have appointed former Huddersfield Town boss Danny Schofield as their head coach on a one-year rolling contract.

The 42-year-old was put in charge of the Championship Terriers in the summer but lasted just nine games before being sacked with the club 23rd in the table.

Schofield replaces Gary McSheffrey, who was sacked by Doncaster on Monday.

"This is a new challenge and one I'm ready to give my all to in order to make it a success," he said.

"I'm a Doncaster lad. I'm from the area so I know this place well. I know the supporters. I know what the ambitions of the club are.

"It seemed a really good fit for me and one I really think can work."

The club cited a "lack of progress" after sacking McSheffrey, who was in charge when they were relegated from League One last season after five years in the division.

A miserable 2021-22 carried on into the current campaign and despite initially going six games unbeaten at the start of the season results stagnated, with the club now 12th in League Two.

During his playing career, Schofield spent 10 years with Huddersfield between 1998 and 2008 and moved into coaching following his retirement in 2016.

Having coached with Leeds United alongside Carlos Corberan, Schofield went on to join Middlesbrough as their under-23 assistant coach.

From there he returned to Huddersfield as under-19 coach, and later took charge of the club on an interim basis following the sacking of Danny Cowley, and was promoted to head coach when Corberan left in July - after the club had been beaten in the Championship play-off final.

"It was important for the club to act swiftly and get the right man and we're delighted with his appointment," said Doncaster's head of football operations James Coppinger.

"Sixty per cent of our squad are 18 to 23, which is what we call a development phase. It's an important phase.

"Having a coach who has been through that, who understands what it takes, who has developed players, who has a methodology and a way of working and understanding of how he wants to play and coaches that way of playing, it's a big pull for me."

Analysis - 'Schofield needs a good start'
BBC Radio Sheffield's Rob Staton

This is a big appointment for Rovers. The fans need a lift after a run that has seen the club drop from League One play-off contenders to mid-table in League Two.

Many wanted an experienced boss and Schofield doesn't tick that box.

But he is from the region and supporters will back club legend James Coppinger to have got this right.

Schofield needs a good start though. It didn't go well at Huddersfield and he needs to prove this is going to be a different experience.
Have you heard about the news on Mizar 5
People got to shout to stay alive

He's worked with Bielsa. How can he possibly not be a success? Rolleyes
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Marcelo at Donny would have been interesting

Doncaster Rovers have sacked boss Danny Schofield after they finished 18th in League Two.

The 43-year-old replaced Gary McSheffrey in October but won just 10 of his 33 matches in charge.

His departure from Rovers caps off a difficult season for Schofield, who was sacked after just nine games as Huddersfield boss in September.

"It is with the deepest regret that we have made this decision," chairman David Blunt told the club website.

"Danny is a Doncaster lad and everyone at the club desperately wanted him to be a success here. His dedication, commitment and work ethic during his time at the club have been unquestionable.

"Whilst it is true Danny has not had the opportunities to build his own team, and the injuries have depleted the squad, we would have still expected to see a better turn of results than what has been achieved this season."

Rovers were relegated from League One last season and Schofield took over with the side 12th in the fourth tier.

They were two points off the top seven after three successive wins at the start of February but won just two of their final 16 matches to finish a distant 20 points off the play-off places.

It has been a chastening first season in management for Schofield after he stepped up to take over from Carlos Corberan at Championship side Huddersfield in July.

Schofield made 285 appearances for the club as a player and had been on the coaching staff for three years prior to his appointment but was sacked after 69 days in charge.

Analysis: Decision to have a clean slate 'not a surprise'
Rob Staton, BBC Radio Sheffield sports manager

The hope was that local lad Schofield could unite fans with the club, after a torrid period that saw managers come and go and questions asked of the club's board.

However, he lost 19 of 33 games and the mood turned even more sour, with supporters venting their anger at the boss and those in the boardroom. To say it's been a toxic year or so at Doncaster is putting it mildly.

With investment promised for the summer, this is a crucial next few weeks for Rovers, so a clean start, to try and build bridges with fans, isn't a surprise. But whoever takes this job will have a huge task on their hands.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »