Thread Rating:
Celtic v Rangers, 17 April - the "treble" almost within reach!!
I think this Scot Cup semi-final can't come quickly enough for Ange and his revamped Celtic side as they seem to have "hit top gear" at the right time of the season and are unbeaten in domestic matches for months. Also some injured key players now "returning to the fold" and "raring to go" to bolster an already buoyant first team squad. What a difference compared with the problems of last season in front of no crowds due to COVID lockdown. The script couldn't be written any better with Rangers having to recover in a couple of days from a testy Euro fixture and running straight on to a huge pitch at Hampden Park. Ange's hi-press strategy should "test them to their limits" and we'll see if it pays off with a pivotal result that should pave the way to another domestic "treble" for the Hoops and Ange's first season in charge of Celtic attaining legendary status due to the way he has revitalised the whole first team structure in such a short period and certainly makes them formidable opponents for any other Scot Prem side with too little money resources to compete at this level. It certainly looks like Celtic's forced absence from Euro footie by Bodo Glimt has been a godsend for them - no Euro footie distractions any more and full focus on the domestic footie front. In summary, an interesting and probable very positive end to the season although in this particular match, as always, one must closely scrutinise who is the assigned referee and if he is an official who is capable of changing the course of a footie match through some kinda shit decision, something that sadly happens too often in Scot footie matches with no VAR available to overrule a lotta these dodgy decisions. Hopefully no ref issues in this case and there is no referee controversy attached to this match whatsoever. We shall see how it all unfolds in due course.
Rangers "running on gas" tonight v a Braga side reduced to ten men on 42 mins (what is it with Euro teams that seem to "fold" at Ibronx?? Apart from Lyons who gave them a footie lesson!!), now forced into extra time and having to battle to avoid a pk decider v ten men!! You couldn't make it up! Celtic fans will be loving this scenario!! Lotsa tired Rangers legs on Sunday, no matter what this final Euro score is lol! Laugh
Rangers manage to get to the EL semi-final v 9 men (another beneficial leg-up!!!) in extra time. A perfect scenario for Celtic on Sunday! They must be one of the jammiest Scot league teams I've ever seen at this level for years - getting some amazingly fortuitous decisions ever since their "back door" play-off quali tie after Lyons "walked" their EL Group plus a fortuitous draw (one of many!) while other better Euro sides than them have been eliminated. Thankfully one EPL top team, The Hammers, still remaining in this tourney plus a really good top Bundesligue team with two of the most sought after strikers in Europe and hopefully their manager will field their full A team and play to form v a team that really should've been given a good "skelping" well before now!
Forgot to add it looks like Giakoumakis won't make this semi-final due to a muscle strain - touch n go! A pity as the Greek striker has been in fine scoring form for Celtic in the past month and "leads the line" up front.
Celtic have a ridiculously good record at Hampden. If they are "on it" they should win tomorrow.
Well, well, well!! The "treble" is over for Celtic in an exciting "end to end" Scot Cup match. Rangers trying hard to win it in the 1st half and not converting some good scoring opps with Arribo hitting Celtic's goal post. Second half, all indicators showing Rangers finally "running out of puff", Taylor scoring his 1st goal this season to make the score 1-0. Celtic looking on course to win another semi-final until a pivotal moment on approx 70 mins when Carter-Vicker missed a great scoring opp to seal the game - hit the Hun crossbar, really should've scored, what a miss!! Van Bronckhorst brings on two impact subs soon after this fortuitous moment and one of them, Arfield, scores a "sucker punch" goal against the run of play. Rangers suddenly finding the energy levels to compete instead of previously looking like a totally jaded side. ET follows and the winning goal is ironically an og with 6 mins remaining. Most players almost "dead on their feet" during the period of extra time. In summary, no clear cut deserved winner in this match although IMO I think the absence of Giakoumakis was a big factor in this result actually materialising - Celtic could've done with that additional dangerous in form goal scorer to force upon a tiring side. Celtic a tad unlucky and need to move on quickly to fully focus on the push for the Scot Prem title next weekend - a far more important target esp with a 6 pt advantage and an unassailable GD.!
Thought celtic were pish, but they had the game in their hands with 15 to go when Carter-Vickers missed that sitter....No need at all to hit it that hard.

Other than that, i felt Deidco deserved to go through over the piece. They seemed to want it that bit more and after Juranovic went off they got more and more change down that side. Madden was absolutely shocking though - a blatantly cheating performance today from himĀ  Laugh He doesn't remotely try and hide it.

How does it pan out with the league ? Well 5 games to go and its in celtics hands, if they win the first 2 of them its pretty much done isn't it ?
A good brief summary of events. The Carter-Vickers incident was massive. I never bothered even mentioning "brother" Madden's shit performance any more as I'm just sick fed up debating Scot refs almost every other week. I mentioned the issue in the OP and just left it at that. THE PROBLEM NEVER GOES AWAY!! Maybe VAR will finally expose how bad this prob actually is. I hope it does as the whole rotten system of refereeing needs to be "cleaned up" sooner or later. It can't go on like this ad infiitum.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »