Thread Rating:
WBA vs Huddersfield & Fulham
[Image: WBA.jpg]

It''s difficulty to know what was the most surprising on Saturday between Albion scoring two goals, Albion winning, and accomplishing both away from home. It was the first time since January 22nd we'd done the first two, and the first time since December 4th we'd done the last. With Taylor Gardner-Hickman finally given the chance he always merited, it feels like Brucie has finally woken up to some fairly basic truths about what can be done to turn our present situation around.

But now comes the real test, with back-to-back encounters with promotion contenders in front of a home crowd who've seen no shortage of dross in recent months. Having inconsiderately nicked our playoff place, Huddersfield visit on Friday night with the aim of nicking our three points too. Not that they're unused to that, as four of Albion's last five league matches against the Terriers have resulted in us coming a highly unedifying cropper. Promisingly, the one exception was our last home clash in September 2019, which the Baggies won 4-2 in the midst of our best spell under Slaven Bilic. More ominously, Huddersfield haven't lost consecutive league games at the Hawthorns since three defeats between 1986 and 1991, and arrive on the back of four wins on the trot, their best run of form since six on the bounce under David Wagner in early 2017. On paper, this should only really go one way. But for once - and unusually in this division - we may just have the opportunity to be someone else's banana skin.

And Fulham, of course, are Fulham; bound for promotion and the Championship title at a canter, and highly unlikely to let Albion stand in their way. What remains of our season won't be defined by what happens on Tuesday evening (though alas, the season we've had so far probably will be). A decent showing is all we can really ask in the circumstances, in the hope that better days will lie ahead.
Lord Snooty and Amelia Chaffinch like this post
We're still waiting for our bubble to burst, which it surely will. We keep winning games without really playing all that well, but that's no bad thing.

Earlier in the season, it was the Baggies doing so, and I think we could all see that you weren't gonna catch Fulham and Bournemouth. But the way you have dropped so far is quite a shock.

We watched the Swansea match and it was terrible.

More of that on Friday please.  Whistle  Rolleyes  Tongue  Blush  Doh
[Image: 2ZJuVRk.gif]
Grant hat-trick. It’s written in stone
Oh Sam
Ohhhhhh sam
Sam getting a lot of stick, but it is not all his fault, what the **** were they playing at with all those passes square in front of goal, I would not expect a school side to do that, its asking for trouble. One of the ten commandments of football, you don't play a square ball in front of your own goal unless you absolutely have to, that clearance by SJ was after the 5th square pass, in as many passes.
Constant attacking movement from Huddersfield. You can’t see the Albion attackers on TV but the number of times our defenders have had the ball, looked up, seen absolutely nothing, and passed square.
And our only idea is to get wide and cross at head height. But sadly Huddersfield heads are higher than ours.
Game
Set
Match

Ohhh penalty

Grant steps up
Boom

Fook me 2-2
Andy
They’re still useless wastes of space, but at least I had 5 minutes of enjoying football for the first time in months
Stairs likes this post
Bloody hell. 80 minutes of tripe and 10 minutes of magical madness.
I think we should scrap the advertising on the pitch side screens and replace it with arrows to show the players which way we are kicking, its getting back to the Pullis number of back passes. I don't think it matters whether your are a Huddersfield fan or a Baggies fan you would have to say the ref had a howler. Another good 75 minutes for TGH, tired a bit at the end though.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »