Thread Rating:
Sheff Utd vs WBA - Match Thread
[Image: Welcome-Steve-Bruce-4x3-2.jpg]

Though the change isn't necessarily to everyone's liking, the club have at least been swift and decisive in their removal of Valerian Ismael and appointment of Steve Bruce as his successor. It's not a name liable to shift half-season tickets by the bucketload, but nevertheless, Bruce brings plenty of experience to the hotseat and deserves a fair crack of the whip to try and turn our campaign around.

His first test comes tomorrow evening at Bramall Lane, where Albion go to face a Sheffield United side who've managed to fall even harder than us. Victory would mean a first double over the Blades since 1997-98, when Andy Hunt, Lee Hughes and Kevin Kilbane were the scorers who guided the Baggies to three points up in Yorkshire; however, United have now won three on the bounce, and will still have an eye on the playoffs if they can keep those results coming. If they do beat us, it'll be our worst losing streak in this division since March 2007, and if we fail to score for the fifth away game in a row, it'll be our worst goal drought on the road since April 1986. Yes, the last time we were this toothless, the health & safety officer at Chernobyl was still polishing his Employee of the Month award. And if we manage to equal that record, I suspect we'll be having a meltdown to match it.

New manager bounce is what's needed, and though Albion may prove too unwieldy a vessel to turn around at once, there's never been a better time for a Brucie bonus.
talkSAFT and Stairs like this post
Let`s hope Blades don`t win 3=2. I can just hear it now.

"You don`t get anything for a pair, not in this game".

DD #No1 Big Grin Big Grin
Ubique.
I fancy a 1-4 win, 2 for Carrol 1 for Robo and 1 for Grant, optimism at its finest Smile
Stairs likes this post
Yes I fancy a win also.

Tactics won’t have changed much but the shackles have been removed and there will be a spring in the step tonight.

Happy players win matches.
Looks like either a 442 with Grant and Carrol together up front or a 433 with Diangana and Grant on the wings.

The formation will depend on whether Reach is central in a 3 or on the left of a 4.
I think were are going to get a new manager bounce.
The players are going to run their hearts out to impress the new manager.
It's a win for us tonight COYB
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
Losing
Usual
And red card for liverpoor
We started quite well...

Football was a lot better than we have become accustomed to. Seeing simple things like passing forward to feet that I've not seen for a long time.

Plus the energy and pressing that we saw at the start of the Ismael era was there too.

Unfortunately, the squad does still have limitations and we saw that for their goal. No marking. And for all our toil going forward, we still don't have a player at the club who can pick a pass.

Then the ultimate limitation - or should I say liability - good ol Jake Livermore.

Always good for a pointless sending off.

Hopefully Bruce learns quickly, like Allardyce did, that we really need to get shot of him.

But still, Sheffield United away is one of the toughest tests you will face in this division. Their squad is more closely resembling the side they had in the Prem than ours is. The fact we came and we're on top is an improvement on what we've been seeing. We've got no chance now after Livermore has let everyone down. But at least we started with some intent.

Can't help thinking Snodgrass would've been more effective in that role at the head of the diamond than Reach...
Stairs likes this post
Pretty much spot on slick.
Livermore is a liability and reach is a bit of a headless chicken. But the overriding factor is that this is a squad of limited ability and Bruce has a massive job on his hands.
England’s number one I guess

Game over

To be fair it’s at least been brighter, passing, ball to feet, shame liverpoor decided to ruin our chances

Down to 9th
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »