Thread Rating:
We are going up, we are going up.!!
Cheltenham 1 Carlisle 1

Yes it's true.
The Robins got the point that they needed for automatic promotion but, oh boy, wasn't it a struggle.

To be fair, I thought, before the match, that the one point we needed was almost a given as Carlisle had drawn four of their last five games.(Now 5 of last 6)
But, Carlisle obviously had ambitions of their own as, at present, they are just outside the play off places.

The Robins started brightly and were well on top for the first 20 minutes but, without really making any clear cut chances.
After that Carlisle stared to boss the game and in the 33rd minute took the lead. A free kick on the right some 30 yards out found Kayode at the far post and he headed back across goal beating Josh Griffiths in the air.

I can imagine that the air in the Robin's dressing room was blue during the half time interval.
Whatever was said; it worked.!

Cheltenham now played a higher line and had Carlisle on the backfoot. There were some cynical fouls going in to frustrate the Robin's attacks.
Finally, in the 56th minute the Robins were awarded yet another free kick. This time perhaps 25 yards out and slightly right of centre.
Chris Hussey, whom of late, has not been his usual very effective self, stepped up to take it.
Carlisle had made a huge wall of at least 6 players in the line of fire and there seemed no way Chris could score from there.

Somehow he did. A brilliant bending free kick that struck the underside of the bar and bounced down over the line.
Another contender for goal of the season at least but, strangely only the first goal this season for Hussey.

The game now became end to end with both sets of players seeking to win the game.
Cheltenham had a chance late on when Carlisle were caught too far forward and the Robins had a 3 against 2 advantage as they raced into Carlisle's half. The chance went a begging.

BUT we are up anyway. Well done to all involved. Big Grin  Big Grin  Big Grin
Lord Snooty likes this post
Some days I'm top dog, most days I'm just the lamp post.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »