Thread Rating:
The Ding-Dong Double Derby Thread
That game showed exactly why I don’t want Allardyce anywhere near The Hawthorns next season. A must win game where we set up with 8 defensive players, an isolated centre forward, no pace and no width. We will need to win the majority of games next season if we are to challenge for promotion. Nothing I have seen from Allardyce suggests he has the ability and mind set to do this.
His supporters will argue that he’s made us better defensively - who could possibly have imagined that 8 men behind the ball would have done that? The sooner he goes, the better.
Dingle-Dingle likes this post
They say that ignorance is bliss - no wonder so many people are happy.
I had given up a very long time ago. So just wanted pride from the two derby games and I got that.

I agree Sam is more defence that attack and his set up always saddens me when I am hoping we will play attacking football.

I think he could do a job next year and he could get us promoted but at my age that is not good enough.

Unless an Oligarch buys The Albion the. Nothing major will change. We will still yo-yo between leagues and so I’d rather a young manager with a reputation to build and a young squad and go shit it bust on entertaining football.

We won’t be related from the Championship and so let’s just be a powerhouse in it.
drewks and BaggieSteve like this post
(04-05-2021, 10:07)Stairs Wrote: I had given up a very long time ago. So just wanted pride from the two derby games and I got that.

I agree Sam is more defence that attack and his set up always saddens me when I am hoping we will play attacking football.

I think he could do a job next year and he could get us promoted but at my age that is not good enough.

Unless an Oligarch buys The Albion the. Nothing major will change. We will still yo-yo between leagues and so I’d rather a young manager with a reputation to build and a young squad and go shit it bust on entertaining football.

We won’t be related from the Championship and so let’s just be a powerhouse in it.

Yup - I share all your sentiments, Stairs.
I too had given up..... on PL survival that is; what I HAVEN'T given up on is the club I love trying to regain their proper identity.
Will we be able to do this under BS? Like others, I think not. We were going the right way IMHO for some time under SB but his disasterous transfer window was something we could never survive.
However, we were US under him!!
Again, like many I would rather keep the identity of the club we all love in the Championship, rather than sacrifice it for a mercenary, dull existence in the ego driven PL.
(and I'm not just saying that because we're going down!)
Stairs, Baggievicar, BaggieSteve like this post
Sorry but I have to disagree with anyone who doesn’t want Sam to stay. He can pick a player, not afraid to change system when he gets it wrong and boy are these players fitter.
He has since he bought his players in made us a lot harder to beat and in a lot of cases with decent finishes we should have won a lot more matches.
Don’t get me wrong as a man I don’t like him, and didn’t originally want him near our club. But for me he is now the one I would stick by. No more upheavals get some stability and with the right players { his picks } I would back him to bring us back up. For those who don’t want him name names of managers you would want.
I respect your views, wba13 - and I agree that BS HAS, indeed, got us a few good 'uns on loan, and, in the past, has unearthed a few absolute gems. J J Ococha, anyone - in my opinion in the top 5 of all time PL players.
But (sorry, BUT), again, in my opinion, his default style is now containment and too negative.
What's RDM up to these days?!!

(Stairs, maybe these last comments should be moved into a new thread about the way forward? Can that be done?)
I agree with WBA13, as I wouldn't want to go thru the traumas of a new coach getting us back up. SA knows the ropes, and has as wba13 says tightened the team - far less goals scored against - and the fitness is better.

You don't need to like the man, you just need to know he is doing his best for the club we all love, and given the players will get us results.
WBA World Cup P/League WINNER 2018. WBA League Cup Winner 2021.
WBA Prediction Legue WINNER 2020/21 Play off winner 23
HUDDERSFIELD FC Prediction League WINNER 2021/22/RU 23

Best author award Mystery Novels 2021 Thumb up
Allardyce should be nowhere near the club next season. He has failed the only objective that he had when he was appointed. His record is 0.90 points per game with 4 wins, 7 draws and 10 defeats from 21 matches. The goal difference is 21 scored and 39 conceded. That is a crap record and no coach deserves to keep their job with a record like that, especially when it results in relegation.

We can debate to death the crap job that he did with the players that he inherited, the improvement with the new signings, the better performances and whether he could do a job next season (I don't think he can because the Championship has changed a lot in the 9 seasons since he was last in it) but the facts stated above cannot be escaped.
Yes the championship has changed, it’s worse as this season proves 2 relegated sides already up the 3rd in the play offs.
Big Sam will be better than any manager/coach mentioned if he wants the job it’s his for me.
It was not his fault that he was left with dross and we all know since the loan signings were bought in he has improved us dramatically. So I cannot see why he should not be anywhere near our club. But each to there own it’s your opinion and your entitled to it.
I don't like Allardyce, but have to admit I'm with wba13 on this one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »