Thread Rating:
The Big Six Are Off
Real Madrid and possibly Barca could now be screwed, both are seriously in debt and this seems to have been a lifeline for them.
(20-04-2021, 20:37)St Charles Owl Wrote: Real Madrid and possibly Barca could now be screwed, both are seriously in debt and this seems to have been a lifeline for them.

Chelsea and Man Citey have dropped out - probably the only 2 clubs who are not with massive debts.
They don't need billions to balance the books - the rest are in the deep stuff.
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(20-04-2021, 20:36)Ska\dForLife-WBA Wrote:
(20-04-2021, 19:59)St Charles Owl Wrote: There are now news reports that Chelsea are preparing documentation to withdraw from the ESL.  Apparently them and City didn't want to get on this train but were on the train so as not to miss it.  Neither of them are traditional top 6 teams, same for Spurs and both seem to be more in touch of with the fans.

Also, the elephant in the room: none of those three are American-owned.  This ESL bollocks has US-style closed league format all over it.  Trying to create an NFL of football, but without even bothering to adopt the more positive elements of the American system such as first draft pick for the weakest team, etc.

If it goes ahead, I give it five years before they introduce post-season playoffs culminating in an annual Soccer Bowl to crown the champions Rolleyes

Thats a good point!! The NFL system works over here because for starters its always been that way and because its supported by the college football system as well. Playoff also wortk in the NFL because the teams do not play each other every season, so it is the fairest way to decide it. The draft is a problem for me in so much as teams do seem to give up to get the first pick.

(20-04-2021, 20:48)Blue Baggie Wrote:
(20-04-2021, 20:37)St Charles Owl Wrote: Real Madrid and possibly Barca could now be screwed, both are seriously in debt and this seems to have been a lifeline for them.

Chelsea and Man Citey have dropped out - probably the only 2 clubs who are not with massive debts.
They don't need billions to balance the books - the rest are in the deep stuff.

Liverpool and Manure's debt is more institutional rather than making operating losses all the time. The Spanish and Italian teams are in debt on an operating basis consistently as they are trying to compete with the PL teams and the TV money that the PL has.

Now Ed Woodward has resigned as Chairman of Manure, its all falling apart!!
In case anyone missed it, Albion's statement on the proposal below. Nothing surprising or exceptional in there, just a solid reiteration of the same point which other most clubs are making.

[Image: Albion.jpg]
drewks, Salter, Amelia Chaffinch like this post

DD Laugh Laugh
Amelia Chaffinch likes this post
Ubique.
(20-04-2021, 21:21)Dingle-Dingle Wrote: DD  Laugh  Laugh

Well the big six lasted a long time, all pulled out.
Let’s hope that they get the sanctions they deserve.everyone in football is sick and tired of the so called top sides getting there own way, along with the Spanish and Italian so called big clubs. They all should get what they deserved.
Damage limitation written all over their statements!! Everyone needs to remember this action they took.
The Question is what are the F A and Premier League gonna do about it?

I bet they do NOTHING. These clubs are owned by arrogant Billionaires who won’t miss a few million in fines so relegate them all to league 2 and withdraw any TV monies they would earn until they get back to The Premier league.

If they get relegated the players will leave in Droves so they will need to rebuild on the pitch too. I obviously don’t know what the legal standpoint is but that is what I’d do to them all.
drewks, hibeejim21, Salopbaggie And 1 others like this post
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
I would doubt there is very much that could be done legally to them, as all cases in this area would be classed as civil. In order to progress this in a civil case one party has to be able to show both harm and loss. Short of loss of reputation, which I think would be difficult to show, there is no breach of contract as the event never actually happened.

However there is a possible case from the footballing authorities of these clubs breaking their rules and could be subject to their own punishment regime, so there may be a case to be made of them bringing the game into disrepute:

"A Participant shall at all times act in the best interests of the game and shall not act in any manner which is improperor brings the game into disrepute or use any one, or a combination of, violent conduct, serious foul play, threatening, abusive, indecent or insulting words or behaviour.”

Th FA's most severe penalty is expulsion, though I think they will probably think OK they have had a slap from their fans that will do, of course the option for EUFA to see a opportunity flex their muscles and add to their coffers might be to good to miss for them. Of course, on the other hand there may already have been deals done behind close doors.
One things for certain, if those clubs were from the lesser leagues UEFA would be handing out lengthy bans.
I doubt the authorities will do jack shit. These clubs will likely be emboldened by this, A few tweaks and this will be happening again, it looks like UEFA have already found their magic money tree.

The germans have ended up looking like the grown ups in the room.

Literally amazed hearing EPL players talking about greed, and sky pundits cutting about like they have saved the game. xxxx deluded.
ritchiebaby likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »