Thread Rating:
Scotland v Austria - 1st group match for Scotland
This is a fairly tough initial group game for Scotland but the Austrians have been weakened by restrictions on their player availability due to COVID travel issues. However, the boys can't be too complacent and they must focus on winning this match and starting this world cup campaign with a real positive intent to impose themselves on this group. Goals win matches and this is the area of concern where we'll be hoping somebody will "step up to the plate" to score the requisite goal(s) while our defence continues to perform like a typical Steve Clarke "miserly" defence. C'mon Scotland - more positive progress please!
It transpires that the Austrians are not restricted at all and Scotland is facing a full strength Austria international side!
Steve Clarke finally deciding what team to field for tonight's crucial match and here it is:-

Scotland: Marshall, Hendry, Hanley, O'Donnell, Robertson, Tierney, McGinn, McTominay, Armstrong, Dykes, Christie.

One can immediately observe that Gallagher is dropped for Grant Hanley. I can only guess this move is based on current club form. Hendry becomes his CB partner but that choice has been made because Hendry is ranked as the best defender in Begian footie at the mo. I like the ploy of pairing Robertson and Tierney to attack Austria's right flank although I still fear Robertson's poor ability to defend properly in a Scotland shirt. Tierney may hopefully help him out as he has had a vg season with Arsenal after finally returning from injury. Armstrong and McTominay both playing well for their clubs, Southampton and Man U respectively, but McTominay being moved forward by Clarke to play a different mid role. IMO this has now become a tough match that we really must try to win - gotta start well and also win our home matches. Also beware of the last mins goal threat from them - they have form in that respect!
FT 2-2 and a good game to watch with the match "exploding into life" in the 2nd half with four goals. Scotland started slow, dominated in the 1st quarter. Definitely woken up by that Austrian 1st goal - Hanley's header at the back post equalising the game 1-1 and then that bullet header of a second goal by Austria but why didn't Robertson close in to stop that great cross baw from their right flank???? Their second goal outdone by a superb second goal from John McGinn, an overhead kick and he was just onside!! Well done John Mac!!Thumb up I'll take the point but would've liked 3 pts TBH! Not beaten but IMO we should be winning our home games.

Oh aye! Forgot to mention a stonewall pk denied by that prat of a ref - Christie definitely hauled down in the 2nd half by that Austrian defender!! Also Marshall dodgy re that 1st Austrian goal - should've done better with a push sideways save!
ritchiebaby likes this post
Thought we played well over the piece, after a slow start we should have been ahead at the interval. There is a good spirit about the team now, and we went on to play some good stuff. Same old problems though, Hanley and Hendry didn't cover themselves in glory with their goals (although Hanley did score a good goal)

Great equaliser from SJM, real quality finish. As you say we should have had a pk, but to be fair their wasn't much wrong with Austrias disallowed goal either.

They are a good side for sure, but think we prob needed to win that to have ambitions of qualifying. Next stop Israel where we will likely need the win. Still overall you can see we are making some progress under Clarke.
I forgot to give a "special mention" to Tierney who IMO is a smidgeon off being a world class player. He was the best player on the pitch last night and IMO there was no Austrian player who could touch him. He has come on "leaps and bounds" since returning to the Arsenal 1st team from injury. There is a debate that arises re the position of Robertson being secure enough and possibly swapping Tierney into that defensive position which I still regard as being dodgy plus did you know that Robertson has never set up a single assist in all his Scotland appearances and quite a few of the performances have been crap btw.
At least McBurnie didn't get a game, so there is hope after all.
hibeejim21 likes this post
Cabbage is still good for you
I think it's clear now that whatever happens Clarke wants Mctominay,Mcginn,Robertson and Tierney in the starting 11. I actually think last night Robertson and Tierney worked well, the former was unlucky dykes didnt score from his cross and did give and go up the flanks well. Tierney has a great ability to steal yards and get us up the park quickly. He will also drop the shoulder and go past a player, which Robertson doesn't do so much.

The sportscene guys were raving about Tierney last night, looks like he has really established himself as a key player at Arsenal now. I think Clarke had to find a system to get all our best players on the park and I think he's cracked it. Now we need to focus on getting the best out of Mcginn.. who I think is made for international football.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »