Thread Rating:
Betfred Cup semi-final v Saint Johnstone, Sat 23 Jan, KO 5.30pm
So another cup semi-final looms ever closer for Hibs and I must say I'm mildly optimistic that the guys can overcome Saint Johnstone and progress to the final. I think JR has the players who can definitely "do the job" and I'm hoping Irvine and Cadden will be pivotal in adding their experience to a Hibs team that can win this match fairly comfortably if they "show up". However, in the back of my mind there remains this nagging doubt re Jack Ross's ineptitude in dealing with matches that become complicated/challenging and he doesn't win big matches even with Hibs teams that are good enough to win them but just need a "tweak" to get things right. He needs to "burst that bogey" and manage these situations properly from the touch line. C'mon Hibs! We wanna contest another final and possibly even win it to "grab the much needed prize money"!

GGTTH
ritchiebaby likes this post
St J over the years seem to be a little bit of a bogey side to us. .........let alone Ross and his own bogey relating to "big" games.

Hoping that we "show up" and with the size of Hampden and a better playing surface than we saw last weekend enable us to overcome them and we don't give them as much room as at ER last November.

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
The most frustrating player for me is definitely Boyly who doesn't do enough! Here is another cup semi-final on that huge Hampden pitch and we have a player with vg pace and ability, an Aussie international player, who just doesn't do enough for some bizarre reason and yet he has the attributes to win the match for Hibs. I'm expecting him to do his usual performance (the "nearly man"!) but he really should be doing much more - the story of his footie season so far TBH!
Don't know if the injury affected Boyles confidence but he rarely wants to take a player on the outside. More often than not he is pushed inside where he is not so dangerous and then is either fouled or tends to go to ground easily which will realise a free kick but the opposition have time to set up. Teams know to double up on him as they realise if he is playing well then Hibs create chances and are dangerous.
"FOREVER UNITED"
I certainly don't believe in having a "bogey side", but it's obvious that Hibs do believe it. For a long time it was (and still is to a certain extent) Aberdeen. In that respect we are our own worst enemy. Potentially good enough to beat any side, but often not strong enough to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

St Johnstone are a stuffy side that is hard to beat and that alone will test us. I think we have the quality to win, but beware David Wotherspoon who I think will play from the start against us.
Cabbage is still good for you
I wouldn't put Aberdeen in the "bogey" side group. Over the years they have had , on paper, a squad equal to or better than ours and have spending power above ours. Much of the time I am pleased with a draw against them, a win is a bonus........much like Smeltic and sevco.

St Johnstone are a side however we should be beating routinely........on paper. Stats show that over the last few years there are virtually the same Hibs, St J wins and draws. Interestingly we do better at their place and they do better at ER.

However this is Hibs and who knows which team will turn up on Saturday and what their mindset will be. Huh

Agree about Wotherspoon and also Craig gets more fired up against us, for obvious reasons.

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
Im feeling relatively confident. Which is worrying in itself, I was confident about beating the puddle drinkers at Hampden not so long ago.
HerefordBull likes this post
Re the threat of Wotherspoon - he has been their best player for weeks! It's a fact as I've listened to their match reports for a while. So for me it means we pay an element of respect to that threat and we nullify it! My personal preference is an assigned player who I'd classify as a "watchman/man marker" and he nullifies any contribution Wotherspoon gives to this match - SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE!! How do I know that? Because I've done it (and been very effective in that craft!!) in years gone by when I loved playing footie much more than watching it. I wish that Hibs managers like Jack Ross would use this kinda ploy but he won't!! Thumb down Indeed I reckon he doesn't even monitor St J's matches just to "keep an eye on them".
Breaking news announced by Jack Ross tonight that Scott Allan will be listed in the Hibs squad for this semi-final, JR adding that Hibs have tailored his training to suit his particular needs. IMO this is a huge bonus because I think his kinda skills can be utilised if Hibs are deploying a positive hi-press game plan to win this cup semi-final.
HerefordBull likes this post
Great news for Scott and a boost for Hibs ahead of the semi.

'mon Hibs..........just do it

GGTTH
"FOREVER UNITED"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »