Thread Rating:
Wolves & West Ham vs WBA
[Image: WBAWolves.jpg]

There's a school of thought which says that if you spend enough time preparing yourself for the worst, then the real thing, when it finally arrives, is a walk in the park. To be honest, I'm not sure the theory entirely holds up: I'm reasonably certain, for instance, that global thermonuclear war or spontaneous combustion of the gonads - to name but two spectres of an unknowable future - would probably induce me to make a mess of my trousers no matter how many sleepless nights I spent stocking up on tinned vegetables and asbestos underpants.

And yet both of those horrors pale into insignificance beside visiting Molineux on Saturday.

Yes, it's been nearly a decade since the Black Country derby was last contested - at nine years, the longest hiatus in the rivalry since the Second World War, and the longest in peacetime since professional football began - and finally the moment has come for us to return to the scene of 2012's massacre for a reckoning. You'd probably get decent odds on another 5-1 scoreline right now, and if I refrain from lumping on, then it's only because I'm not sure we'd score as many as 1. Whatever effect Sam Allardyce was supposed to have on the team hasn't materialised beyond one decent showing at Anfield, and though it's fair to argue that he's not working with his own players yet, I'd still have hoped by now for signs of organisation, confidence and resilience that were utterly lacking during last weekend's pathetic cup exit. If Sam can find a way of averting what currently feels like the inevitable - and I doubt there's a better time, with Wolves managing only two wins in eleven league games since the beginning of November, despite being otherwise set for a comfortable mid-table finish - then he'll generate an enormous amount of goodwill that's much needed now the honeymoon has ended. But if (as is more likely) they regain their mojo against us, and multiple goals are involved... it's going to be hard to come back from in the popularity stakes. Very, very hard.

Tuesday night will pack us off down to London to face West Ham, but right now, that's nothing more than a sideshow. I don't have much in the way of either hope or expectation for Saturday, and if we do take a hammering, then so be it. Que sera sera. But in the middle of an abysmal season probably destined to end in relegation, and an equally miserable winter of isolation for us fans, I'd at least like to see us go down fighting. Just this once.
BaggieSteve, talkSAFT, Sanjay And 1 others like this post
Well said Ska'd.

(Just a word on the picture - oh for the days when that many of our players could actually give a sh*t!)
I think we've got a chance this after:
Get them down to 10 men* and we might get a draw.

(* Come on, Mozza, every team we play seems to do it these days).
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with
interesting line up, where is Sam ?? is he off !????!??!?!?!!? Wheres Grady !?
(16-01-2021, 13:34)Baggie_One Wrote: interesting line up, where is Sam ?? is he off !????!??!?!?!!? Wheres Grady !?

I guess anyone missing completely would be covid case... purely speculation on my part...

Of course they could be being sold, but I can't see anyone coming in for Grady yet.

Furlong finally dropped! Hallelujah!

Edit: Johnstone and Phillips confirmed covid, Grady injured.
Apparently Johnstone, Diangana and Phillips have tested positive for COVID-19
BLACK COUNTRY BY BIRTH, ALBION BY THE GRACE OF GOD AND MY OLD MAN

You go in the cage? cage goes in the water, sharks in the water....Our Shark Cry

Ultrinque Paratus
(16-01-2021, 13:41)Worldclassalbion Wrote: Apparently Johnstone, Diangana and Phillips have tested positive for COVID-19

I guess they all had covid last week too, as it seems a coincidence it's all players missing from last week's squad.

So I take back my criticism for not playing Phillips up top.

Hopefully this is the case, as they should be back soon.
just read, Sam and Phillips have tested positive, Grady is injured !
Subs: Lonergan, Furlong, Robson-Kanu, Krovinovic, Ivanovic, Edwards, Peltier, Kipre, Field.

And this is the Premier League?
Button
O'Shea - Ajayi - Bartley - Gibbs
Livermore - Sawyers
Snodgrass - Pereira - Grosicki
Robinson
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »