Thread Rating:
Raheem Sterling
Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the £49m transfer of Raheem Sterling.

The transfer of the 20-year-old England winger is subject to contract negotiations and a medical.

Sterling had asked to leave Anfield and was the subject of two bids from City in June, which were rejected.

The forward, who will become the most expensive English player ever, is under contract until 2017, but turned down a new £100,000-a-week deal at Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33497488

Was he ever gonna go anywhere else, hope it works out at the Graveyard of English players (ok apart from Barry and Milner)
I do think this one will be different for English players at Citeh!! The money being paid may be way off the chart but at 20 years old and already a "star" in the premier league he will be well worth it if they can get the best out of him. The likes of Aguero will be able to feast off his runs and his pace!! His final ball needs to improve but having a true world class striker playing alongside him should help that.

Its a good move for City, but for me this is awful for Liverpool. They have lost their best player, a player that would have been in there team for the next 10 years and they have lost him to a direct rival. The Liverpool of old would never have let that happen, but then he wouldn't want to have left the Liverpool of old!! This moves makes a top 4 spot even more difficult for them to achieve.
turkeydinner likes this post
I'm not so sure about the Liverpool of old not letting him go. They definitely wouldn't had he been Liverpudlian.

.... Or Scottish? ..... Tongue
Good signing for City but the £49 million price tag plus his wages which in total equals £100 million is obscene. The reason why City bought Sterling and were after Delph is because they don't have enough home grown players. City have got a really good youth set-up and some good players but they won't bring them through to the first team and instead let them sit in the U21s and then let them go.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Yes, but the Liverpool of old rarely sold its best players and especially not to their rivals!! The best players they had tended to stay at the club for years or moved abroad like Rush and Owen did. For me its just another sign that they have lost their way from what they had in the 70s and 80s and the game has moved on wthout them. Getting into the top 4 has to be their goal, letting Sterling go makes thm weaker and makes City stronger.

Matt, not sure its that obscene, he is a very good player, full international and is only 20 years old. Paying 50m for Andy Carroll is obscene!!!!
(12-07-2015, 21:07)St Charles Owl Wrote: Yes, but the Liverpool of old rarely sold its best players and especially not to their rivals!!  The best players they had tended to stay at the club for years or moved abroad like Rush and Owen did.  For me its just another sign that they have lost their way from what they had in the 70s and 80s and the game has moved on wthout them.  Getting into the top 4 has to be their goal, letting Sterling go makes thm weaker and makes City stronger.

Matt, not sure its that obscene, he is a very good player, full international and is only 20 years old.  Paying 50m for Andy Carroll is obscene!!!!

It is getting obscene. All British players are being sold and bought for really obscene prices.

Luke Shaw £30 Million
Andy Carroll £50 Million
Gareth Bale £85.3 Million
Raheem Sterling £49 million

For me its all about value for money over many years. Sterling can become a star at City for the next ten years, so at just 5m a year its value for money as long as they win things with him. Still remains to be seen if Bale provides that value at Real, but I doubt it. RM have always paid silly money for the best players, such as Ronaldo when they bought him, but if they win the CL a few times they will consider it worth it. Andy Carroll was a disaster of a signing, full stop!!!

Over the top fees being paid for English players is a direct consequence of the FA/Premier league (?) decision to make it compulsary to have a number of English players in the teams. I understand why they did that but the effect has seen prices go up a lot!!
(12-07-2015, 21:25)St Charles Owl Wrote: For me its all about value for money over many years.  Sterling can become a star at City for the next ten years, so at just 5m a year its value for money as long as they win things with him.  Still remains to be seen if Bale provides that value at Real, but I doubt it.  RM have always paid silly money for the best players, such as Ronaldo when they bought him, but if they win the CL a few times they will consider it worth it.  Andy Carroll was a disaster of a signing, full stop!!!

Over the top fees being paid for English players is a direct consequence of the FA/Premier league (?) decision to make it compulsary to have a number of English players in the teams.  I understand why they did that but the effect has seen prices go up a lot!!

There needs to be a transfer cap and a wage cap on how much a club can buy a player for and how much they can pay them.

Andy Carroll cost 35m, God imagine if he did cost 50m!

Liverpool used to buy some great talent from the lower leagues (Kevin Keegan, Ian Rush, Steve Ogrizovic being ones that sprung to mind), Ok not every one came off but I reckon Scouts just look at Football forums nowadays and report back saying "We need Higuian, Cavani and Hummels"
(12-07-2015, 21:32)spireitematt Wrote:
(12-07-2015, 21:25)St Charles Owl Wrote: For me its all about value for money over many years.  Sterling can become a star at City for the next ten years, so at just 5m a year its value for money as long as they win things with him.  Still remains to be seen if Bale provides that value at Real, but I doubt it.  RM have always paid silly money for the best players, such as Ronaldo when they bought him, but if they win the CL a few times they will consider it worth it.  Andy Carroll was a disaster of a signing, full stop!!!

Over the top fees being paid for English players is a direct consequence of the FA/Premier league (?) decision to make it compulsary to have a number of English players in the teams.  I understand why they did that but the effect has seen prices go up a lot!!

There needs to be a transfer cap and a wage cap on how much a club can buy a player for and how much they can pay them.

I agree with that but it wouldn't work in football.  Over here Ameerican Football and Basketball both have team and individual salary caps and they work very well at keeping the money down to reasonable levels but thse sports are single country sports when it comes to quality and money, football isn't.  If the Premier league brought in a salary cap or spending cap then the only thing that would  happen would be the Premier League would no longer attract the best players, other leagues that don't have one would get them instead.  FFP rules I suppose are at least attempting to control things but the Premier League is never going to restrict its teams from trying to get the best players as that could potentially impact the TV contracts, particualry abroad, and they will not jeopordise that income.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »