Thread Rating:
European Union Referendum - In or Out??
(08-02-2020, 00:48)St Charles Owl Wrote:
(08-02-2020, 00:20)0762 Wrote: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/bo...spartandhp

So  lots n lots of people don't think Brexit has been done? Well, blow me - there are some people out there who actually "see the light" but where are all these people who need to "see the light" re the massive impending economic damage, and other extreme implications, that is eventually gonna be incurred by Brexit activities!!?

I would imagine that the proper wording should be completed, not done!!  Brexit will not be complete until a trade deal and other terms are negotiated and agreed, and that will be at the end of the year.

The shortest free trade agreement the EU have ever completed was with South Korea and it took best part of 2 years and an extra 18 months to ratify. The UKs old relationship with the EU is gone, we are a 'third country', the whole thing will have to be built from the ground up.

The only chance of completing it in a year is if Boris commits the UK to the EUs principles, rules and standards for the length of the deal (and that would still be pushing it), yet he and his cabinet talk only of complete divergence. A limited trade deal could be offered without the states approval, but I can't see the 27 not wanting a say on a deal with a key partner like the UK.

He's not telling us the truth. Thats the only given here.
0762 likes this post
I never suggested it would actually get done!!! The time limit on it is the end of the year, as you say it will be unprecedented if it does actually get done.
IMO IT WON'T GET DONE AND THAT IS 100% CERTAIN!! I base that conclusion on the array of comments that have emanated down the months from key economic analysts and "players" from within the EU, plus some reputable UK economists, who have scrutinised the whole complicated and challenging process of transition!! IT WON'T HAPPEN AND ONE OF THE MAIN FACTORS OF THIS FAILURE IS THE FACT THAT JOHNSON'S GOVT IS NOT AS CAPABLE AS MANY PEOPLE ARE LED TO BELIEVE. The latin saying, "Facta non verba", comes to the fore in this debate and that is where it will be realised Johnson and his RW fascist cronies are severely lacking!!
I simply don't think they want a deal, and I doubt very much the ERG loon balls would have backed Blowjo's withdrawal agreement if they thought there was going to be a deal.

Hope I'm wrong though.
(09-02-2020, 02:46)hibeejim21 Wrote: I simply don't think they want a deal, and I doubt very much the ERG loon balls would have backed Blowjo's withdrawal agreement if they thought there was going to be a deal.

Hope I'm wrong though.

I am inclined to agree with you!! There might even be a case where a "bad" deal is better than no deal!!!! But the one silver lining might be that the UK is important to a lot of companies in the major EU markets, especially Germany where trade with the UK is worth 134b pounds. There will be some pressure on the EU to get a deal done to at least try to protect some of this business and with the fragile state of some EU heads in their own countries, Merkel being one, the last thing they need is any drop in the economy even if they have an easy scapegoat in the UK. It absolutely makes sense for all parties for an equitable deal to be agreed upon, lets hope both sides remember that!!
Germany will desperately want a deal because they are on the verge of going into recession and so will a lot of EU countries. A trade deal will take a lot longer than 8 months though. It wouldn't surprise me if the Tories sell the fishermen down the river (excuse the pun) for a free trade deal.

The Irish General Election is going to give the EU a headache. Both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have said they won't work with Sinn Fein so looks like there could be another General Election in a few weeks time. First time since 1932 that Fianna Fail and Fine Gael haven't come first in an election.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Germany,Holland and Denmark will all be keen to get a deal. But the single market, and the supply chain is more important than UK trade.

I actually don't think Germany wants to punish the UK, (whereas I think France and Spain do not give a xxxx) but their biggest problem is that they have open borders with 8 or 9 nations, they won't be wanting them to think leaving the EU is a breeze because that would cause chaos for them.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that there is also a historical need to protect the EU from Germany. The EU is the most successful peace project after WW2 and it has always been Germany's most important foreign policy to strengthen European integration and preserve peace and prosperity.

Germany will never support a "deal" that threatens the EU itself. Thats just a fact....Boris of course knows this.
(09-02-2020, 17:54)spireitematt Wrote: Germany will desperately want a deal because they are on the verge of going into recession and so will a lot of EU countries. A trade deal will take a lot longer than 8 months though. It wouldn't surprise me if the Tories sell the fishermen down the river (excuse the pun) for a free trade deal.

The Irish General Election is going to give the EU a headache. Both Fianna Fail and Fine Gael have said they won't work with Sinn Fein so looks like there could be another General Election in a few weeks time. First time since 1932 that Fianna Fail and Fine Gael haven't come first in an election.

This is the first "phase" of change to the dual power of political influence in Ireland Matt. I think Varadkar's days are numbered esp when he utters extreme remarks like, "My party will not associate with Sinn Fein"! Then the voting public in Ireland will eventually bring him down as the "sea of change" is definitely coming! Remember that Sinn Fein have not even fielded a full quota of candidates to take on this Irish GE but they are offering a popular "left of centre" agenda to tackle many of the "home probs" that are self-evident to lotsa people in the republic and these people will back Sinn Fein, a party that also has a good number of senior officials who are articulate and know exactly what they want and what direction they are going in!! The duopoly is broken and attempting to marginalise Sinn Fein from their politics will be political suicide!
(10-02-2020, 16:21)0762 Wrote:
(09-02-2020, 17:54)spireitematt Wrote: Germany will desperately want a deal because they are on the verge of going into recession and so will a lot of EU countries. A trade deal will take a lot longer than 8 months though. It wouldn't surprise me if the Tories sell the fishermen down the river (excuse the pun) for a free trade deal.

This is the first "phase" of change to the dual power of political influence in Ireland Matt. I think Varadkar's days are numbered esp when he utters extreme remarks like, "My party will not associate with Sinn Fein"! Then the voting public in Ireland will eventually bring him down as the "sea of change" is definitely coming! Remember that Sinn Fein have not even fielded a full quota of candidates to take on this Irish GE but they are offering a popular "left of centre" agenda to tackle many of the "home probs" that are self-evident to lotsa people in the republic and these people will back Sinn Fein, a party that also has a good number of senior officials who are articulate and know exactly what they want and what direction they are going in!! The duopoly is broken and attempting to marginalise Sinn Fein from their politics will be political suicide!

Varadkar can't be Taoiseach and I can see him standing down as leader of Fine Gael. Took him 5 counts for him to win a seat. I think the Irish were fed up with Fine Gael and there centre-right agenda, they seemed to be pro-austerity and they seem to be very similar to the Tories. Ireland have a problem with homelessness and unaffordable housing like we have in Britain.

You have Fianna Fail and Fine Gael who are centre to centre right. The Labour Party are centre left and Sinn Fein are left wing.
CHESTERFIELD PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2015/2016

More to Football than the Premier League and SKY
Notice there is a slight similarity to Corbyn's campaign initiatives in the Dec General Election but in his case he made no "inroads" because of the obsession with Brexit in certain areas of England. Brexit wasn't really an issue at all in the minds of a huge proportion of the Irish electorate. Hence the success of Sinn Fein's election. campaign
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »