Thread Rating:
Jan 03: WBA 2018/19 Transfer Window
Thank the Lord 2 good pieces of news at least ....

Graeme Jones is staying at #wba after turning down Luton's second offer - and Giles Barnes is highly unlikely to be offered a deal https://t.co/1cswqga36h
BaggieSteve likes this post
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(22-01-2019, 16:29)WBA-Josh Wrote: A big question has to be asked of why they were flying on a small plane instead of an airline jet. Nantes to Cardiff is not exactly a short trip like Newcastle to London.

I really hope Emiliano Sala and the other passengers can be found alive. Sad

Very sadly, Josh, this now seems unlikely according to the news
GJ would like a promotion on his CV me thinks. Taking Giles to Dubai was debatable, we should have taken a steward or tea lady. That would have been a clever piece of management for promoting unity within the club (Just IMO)
Mings for Mears would be an improvement, unless we're looking to sell Dawson or Hegazi not sure if he's going to get much game time though?
I would have thought strikers and energetic midfielders we're a priority tbh.
(22-01-2019, 17:42)Phil Penn Wrote: GJ would like a promotion on his CV me thinks. Taking Giles to Dubai was debatable, we should have taken a steward or tea lady. That would have been a clever piece of management for promoting unity within the club (Just IMO)
Mings for Mears would be an improvement, unless we're looking to sell Dawson or Hegazi not sure if he's going to get much game time though?

I agree Phil. Although Mings is an undoubtedly huge improvement on Mears, I can't help thinking that is not where our priorities lie. Last night, we really missed Barnes' willingness to run at the defence; we were very static and ponderous in our build up, I felt. I know we cannot replace him like for like but I'd like us to sign someone who has that same willingness. Failing that, play Edwards or Leko and see what happens. I also felt we missed Phillips last night, he adds another dimension to the midfield.
(22-01-2019, 20:05)BaggieSteve Wrote:
(22-01-2019, 17:42)Phil Penn Wrote: GJ would like a promotion on his CV me thinks. Taking Giles to Dubai was debatable, we should have taken a steward or tea lady. That would have been a clever piece of management for promoting unity within the club (Just IMO)

I agree Phil. Although Mings is an undoubtedly huge improvement on Mears, I can't help thinking that is not where our priorities lie. Last night, we really missed Barnes' willingness to run at the defence; we were very static and ponderous in our build up, I felt. I know we cannot replace him like for like but I'd like us to sign someone who has that same willingness. Failing that, play Edwards or Leko and see what happens. I also felt we missed Phillips last night, he adds another dimension to the midfield.

We have also missed the drive that Olsson and Fletcher gave us, neither were the best technical players but they were superb leaders.
Thumbs Down 
We have also missed the drive that Olsson and Fletcher gave us, neither were the best technical players but they were superb leaders.

That's a good point. "Drive" IS something we're missing on the field at the moment.
As you say, drive and leadership. Thumb up
West Brom are among several sides in England eyeing a move for highly-rated Houston Dynamo winger Alberth Elis. #WBAFC #HoustonDynamo https://t.co/qvpoKLHs0w
2x Premier League Champ 1x Championship Winner and World cup Winner
(23-01-2019, 00:03)Beefy 1965 Wrote: West Brom are among several sides in England eyeing a move for highly-rated Houston Dynamo winger Alberth Elis. #WBAFC #HoustonDynamo https://t.co/qvpoKLHs0w

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alberth-...ler/281319
(23-01-2019, 00:03)Beefy 1965 Wrote: West Brom are among several sides in England eyeing a move for highly-rated Houston Dynamo winger Alberth Elis. #WBAFC #HoustonDynamo https://t.co/qvpoKLHs0w

Honestly! I've never heard of him, mind I had only seen Barnes name on the subs bench for Leicester before we signed him. 
So what do I know. I can't believe another "Dack" or "Barnes" is not just waiting for somebody to give them a chance - is that what our recruitment team are doing or have I got it all wrong? - I thought they are finding us a hidden gem who has the ability, but just needs a chance. (I think Dack cost Blackburn £850K) Sorry I'm being opinionated again.  Doh Am I wrong in expecting them to find us just one  Huh
Transfer gossip
According to a report from the Daily Mail (23/1; page 65), West Brom and Middlesbrough have joined the race to sign Karlan Grant in what would have to be considered a bargain January deal. (£3 million)
Grant has enjoyed a superb season in League One with Charlton Athletic, scoring 14 goals in 27 third tier games this season. But unfortunately for Lee Bowyer's men, his future at The Valley looks to be in some doubt.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »