Thread Rating:
Nottm Forest vs WBA - Match Thread
First game of the season is always hit and miss, so the thoughts are very much taken with a pinch of salt...

But i thought there was plenty to be pleased with, but also a bit to worry about.

Positives:

- Ajayi and Sawyers looked excellent. Ajayi won everything in the air but also had pace on the deck. Sawyers looked like everything a good midfielder should be, composed, always available, set the tempo.
- Krovinovic showed class in glimpses and had some good interchanges. Not at full speed but could see the potential.
- Ferguson and Edwards stepped up. Ferguson looks excellent defensively and Edwards showed lots of pace and desire to get forward. His goal was fortunate, but he should be commended on his ability to shoot with such power with both feet.
- Of the old guard, I thought Bartley, Gibbs and Phillips were all good. Bartley and Gibbs both like to play, so benefited from having Sawyers in the team as we were actually able to play through midfield.

Negatives:

- We looked impotent up top for the entirety of the game. Zohore had poor touch, couldn't pass and looked generally like he isn't a footballer. Both he and Burke simply have no presence up top.
- Livermore was Forest's best attacker as he kept giving the ball away. If we're going to play possession based, intricate football, I think he could be out of his depth.

The 2 big worries is up front and the squad being paper thin. We are an injury or 2 away from being in the doo doo.

It's absolutely imperative we invest in a proven striker. On the evidence of what I've seen tonight, we definitely have the potential to mount a challenge with a top striker. If I was the board watching that and seeing some of the football we played in the first half, I would break the bank to bring Gayle back if he's available. If he does go to Leeds, that will be a real kick in the teeth. I will probably get slated for saying this so early, but our current strike force is simply not good enough.

I touched upon Livermore's shoddy performance above, but we don't seem to have any alternative? Field is of similar level on the ball, while Harper is better but has no defensive awareness. This isn't a position we were thinking of strengthening, but on today's evidence, we need to.

If Mason Holgate is available, we should do everything to bring him back as he is a quality right back who covers centre half. As good as Ferguson was today, Holgate offers something going forward that is vital for a team playing the football we looked to play today. Ferguson would be an ample understudy if Holgate has to move to the centre to cover injury.

I think we need 5 - Goalkeeper, Holgate (rb, cb), mobile defensive midfielder, winger/attacking midfielder, real quality striker.
Pleased with the result... and most of the performance.  
Agree with Slick and others about looking toothless up front.
Ajayi, Ferguson, Edwards and Sawyers really impressed.  
Lucky goals, but you take what you can get.  
Hoping that Livermore's performance was just early season rust.  
Really need to keep hold of our players (Phillips, Gibbs etc) this week.  
The boards gotta back SB in the market... especially in the striking department.  We can't succeed with Zahore up top.
Overall, positive though... and if we have a fruitful end to the transfer market I will remain positive. Thumb up
(03-08-2019, 23:55)baggietrousers Wrote: Just a few observations;
Johnstone worries me, is he really better than bond.
Back four was solid, impressed with ferguson and liked gibbs link up play with the impressive edwards.
Sawyers, krovonovich ( or however you spell it ) and phillips until he tired look like a formidable midfield.
Issues for me though, first impression of zohore is not good and i dont think burke is good enough. Livermore was a liability.
Mostly positive today, already think bilic is a great appointment, just need a striker or two.

Spot on ‘Trousers’

Johnstone is nowhere near the standard of Foster who would have saved the Forest goal in his sleep.
Simply not good enough. Get rid.

Zahore was like a cart horse and young Burke ran round like a headless chicken. “One for the future” Pulis said -
Back to the future more like.

Apart from that, a surprisingly decent display.
A great start to the season and important to win as it helps sell The Albion to any players that we might be talking to.

We need more punch up front. The goals all came from goal keeper errors and we can’t expect that every week.

The youngsters did well and proves our academies value even if we leak a few.

SB also came across very well in the post match interview.
drewks likes this post
Good point about the academy, Stairs, as we can include Sawyers in that one too.
Looking back - and admittedly I only saw the last 15/20 mins - the willingness to go forward, and play with a bit of swagger, was great.
And we've only had SB for a few weeks! Not getting carried away but it's looking good
To be fair, I was pleasantly surprised, with 2 or 3 additions, if we play with that tempo and spirit, maybe this year wont be so bad! Gayle coming back would be great, don't underestimate HRK linking up with Zohore too. I know he was quiet, but didn't Rondon suffer in the lone forward role as well, we need to get bodies up their to support him, luckily our midfield will find goals, a new forward, right back and another midfielder and we should just about be ready.
I thought the kids Ferguson & Edwards looked great, Krovinovic and Sawyers always looked to be moving forward and I thought defensively apart from the goal we didn't look like getting into any real trouble! A very encouraging start and 3 points to boot in what is historically a tricky place to go, with Millwall at home on Saturday and a fairly quiet start to the season, I'm quietly optimistic, keep it up SB and the team and we'll be alright!!!

COYB
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »