Thread Rating:
Hibs POTY awards to be handed out again!
(06-04-2016, 23:35)St Charles Owl Wrote: Tavernier played for us in 2012 when we were in League 1 and really struggled to hold down a place in the team.  We actually used him more as a left winger than left back because his defending wasn't great.  Hopefully he has pushed on from then as he definitely had skill but he wouldn't get anywhere near the EPL at the moment.

On the left? Maybe that was the problem.

Im pretty sure that league one isn't far off, and possibly better, than the vast majority of Scottish football. Certainly the average crowds will mean that English third tier teams can easily compete with all but a few of their Scottish counterparts.

(06-04-2016, 20:27)hibeejim21 Wrote: Talking of overpriced young talent,whatever happened to Lewis "messi" macleod?

He was injured when sold and pretty much been injured ever since.

Even saying that, he's playing at a higher level in the English championship than he would be in Scotland.
My mistake, yes he played on the right.
I totally agree St Charles Owl re your comment that English League 1 standard is on par (if not better), with most of the so called decent Scottish league clubs incl Rangers. I've previously commented that some National League sides would turn over a lotta the so called top Scottish football clubs and that's based on observing a far better all round standard from many decent players who just don't wanna play 'north of the border' unlike guys like Tavernier.
(07-04-2016, 14:47)0762 Wrote: I totally agree St Charles Owl re your comment that English League 1 standard is on par (if not better), with most of the so called decent Scottish league clubs incl Rangers. I've previously commented that some National League sides would turn over a lotta the so called top Scottish football clubs and that's based on observing a far better all round standard from many decent players who just don't wanna play 'north of the border' unlike guys like Tavernier.

You must be struggling more than usual: SCO said nothing of the sort...it was me that said it.
(06-04-2016, 23:35)St Charles Owl Wrote: Tavernier played for us in 2012 when we were in League 1 and really struggled to hold down a place in the team.  We actually used him more as a left winger than left back because his defending wasn't great.  Hopefully he has pushed on from then as he definitely had skill but he wouldn't get anywhere near the EPL at the moment.

His defending is still not great SCO, as has been proven this season, however, he has been a fairly regular goal scorer in the championship. Won't get the same opportunities next season in the premiership as he'll be more on the back foot IMO.
HHGH
Is that including hibs as they are one of the so called big teams in Scitland??
(07-04-2016, 19:12)TheWorthinGer Wrote:
(07-04-2016, 14:47)0762 Wrote: I totally agree St Charles Owl re your comment that English League 1 standard is on par (if not better), with most of the so called decent Scottish league clubs incl Rangers. I've previously commented that some National League sides would turn over a lotta the so called top Scottish football clubs and that's based on observing a far better all round standard from many decent players who just don't wannaplay 'north of the border' unlike guys like Tavernier.

You must be struggling more than usual: SCO said nothing of the sort...it was me that said it.

Oops! It was just a mistake son but again I concur with that view. I'm sure St Charles Owl has similarly commented in past conversations, much the same as myself. And fredster, of course Hibs are in that group of 'decent' Scottish footie clubs that fall short of said standard! I'd suggest to any doubters if you are down south, try to take in some lower league matches and be enlightened re the difference in standard of footie.
(07-04-2016, 19:32)Fredstersafool Wrote: Is that including hibs as they are one of the so called big teams in Scitland??

Celtics current team would struggle in the Championship.

The quality of teams like Brighton etc is well above the average in Scotland. 

(07-04-2016, 19:31)TIN TIN Wrote:

His defending is still not great SCO, as has been proven this season, however, he has been a fairly regular goal scorer in the championship. Won't get the same opportunities next season in the premiership as he'll be more on the back foot IMO.

That's a fair point, but I'm confident he will adapt.
(07-04-2016, 19:32)Fredstersafool Wrote: Is that including hibs as they are one of the so called big teams in Scitland??

Back in the 50's maybe.
Well Hibs have beaten enough Premiership teams this season, incl Hearts and the Dons, to indicate they are certainly within that so called group of supposedly decent Scottish footie clubs and therefore it answers Fredster's question succinctly enough.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »