Thread Rating:
Middlesbrough vs WBA - Match Thread
Bruce is already under pressure and rightly so.
Sadly he is stubborn and is far to negative to allow team confidence to grow.
I'm thinking this season will be a continuation of last season.
You cannot win promotion being cautious - you have to be positive.
drewks likes this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
(30-07-2022, 21:37)Blue Baggie Wrote: Bruce is already under pressure and rightly so.
Sadly he is stubborn and is far to negative to allow team confidence to grow.
I'm thinking this season will be a continuation of last season. 
You cannot win promotion being cautious - you have to be positive.

I just hope that he, and many other 'managers', watch the ladies final tomorrow, and realise that the primary aim in football is to score a goal and NOT to just try and keep possession
Bruce is under no pressure whatsoever, we go to one of the toughest places in the championship and come away with a point is a good start.I know I would not of started with Livermore or Phillips but we have to remember we equalised with them on the pitch and could and probably should have won it when Wallace scuffed his cross to the unmarked Grant. Dike looked a monster and he swatted aside one of the toughest Defenders in this division in Lenihan.
Get Dike and Yokuslu up to speed and a couple of loan moves and we will be in with a shout.
As for your comment about negativity do you really think Bruce told them to play the way we did first half no he didn’t. The way we went about the second half is the way we should have played in the first half. Why some want Bruce gone is beyond me, without Bruce we would not have Wallace or Swift and possibly Yokuslu
One game gone a good point away from home but some still want him gone ridiculous.
(30-07-2022, 22:12)wba13 Wrote: Bruce is under no pressure whatsoever, we go to one of the toughest places in the championship and come away with a point is a good start.I know I would not of started with Livermore or Phillips but we have to remember we equalised with them on the pitch and could and probably should have won it when Wallace scuffed his cross to the unmarked Grant.  Dike looked a monster and he swatted aside one of the toughest Defenders in this division in Lenihan.
Get Dike and Yokuslu up to speed and a couple of loan moves and we will be in with a shout.
As for your comment about negativity do you really think Bruce told them to play the way we did first half no he didn’t. The way we went about the second half is the way we should have played in the first half. Why some want Bruce gone is beyond me, without Bruce we would not have Wallace or Swift and possibly Yokuslu
One game gone a good point away from home but some still want him gone ridiculous.

I don't want Bruce gone, I hope we win every game and walk to promotion.

However, that team selection was nowhere near good enough. And if that continues he will be sacked because we will not win enough games.

He is 100% expected to get us promoted. You don't pay the wages we are paying for Swift, Wallace and Yokuslu to be mid table.

I accept Yokuslu might not have been fit enough to play, but I don't accept that about Dike. He's had a full pre-season and him not being selected was simply a case of Bruce thinking that Grant was a better option. Unfortunately this shows how poor a judge of a player Bruce is. We have seen time and time again that Grant can't play as a loan striker, he doesn't have the touch or strength to hold the ball up and every pass into him, however good, is given away. And it makes even less sense when you acquire Wallace who puts quality into the box and needs a big man to aim at.

Overall you'd take a point away at Boro, I'd agree. And you're right we could've won at 1-1 with a couple of presentable opportunities. But let's be honest Boro should've been out of sight at half time.

Let's hope Bruce wakes up and smells the coffee and realises some obvious things that have been staring him in the face for 6 months. Things like Grant is not a lone striker. Grady is actually a player if he's got proper footballers around him, unlike Phillips who is unfortunately gone. Oh and Darnel Furlong isn't a footballer, let alone a first choice for a side going for promotion.

But I'll not hold my breath after what he deemed was our best selection today.
Blue Baggie likes this post
Much as everyone has already said.

I liked Furlong when he first came but haven’t seen anything from him in ages and he’s run out of time
Liversalts never seems to play the attacking ball option when it’s crying out to him
Phillips was great in his day but time gets to us all
I would prefer Grant on the left giving his all for a half and then swapping with Grady

Positives

Thought Swift, Wallace and Dike all looked the part and Bruce needs to learn from second half. My concern is Dike getting injured again then we will be snookered

Defo need a right back before window ends
Slick_Footwork and Blue Baggie like this post
I wasn't asking for Bruce to be sacked, I was stating IMO his cautious approach is far to negative. A point at Boro appears on paper a good result, but we have to look at more then a draw.
If we play a positive attacking game we will win games comfortably. But Bruce just continues to make diabolical decisions. He handed Boro a massive lift before a ball was kicked.
1. Picked a half fit Livermore.
2. Picked Phillips.
3. Left Dike on the Bench
Does Bruce actually watch the same games as us. His thinking and decisions are just not positive enough. I am convinced Bruce cannot change and he will not get us automatic promotion. Much like he did at the Seals. Then Gammon chops takes them up by playing a more adventurous positive style.
I'm backing Bruce but I won't be giving him until Xmas. He knows everything he needs to know about this team. If he can't get them playing consistent promotion football now then I would happily replace him sooner rather than later.
Slick_Footwork and Zinman like this post
2020 the year the bubble burst  Doh
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »