Thread Rating:
Match Thread - MK Dons v SWFC
Carlos Had a Nightmare

Where to start? Let me say a few positive things about MK. They are a much maligned club but have managed to get to the second tier after several years trying with the smallest budget by a distance. They had to sell their star player Alli to Spurs & are still just above the cut line for relegation. They have a nice stadium and know how to use the jumbo screens to build the atmosphere. We still haven't got a clue how to use ours. This is the second time that I have had to deal with ticket issues on the day at MK and the staff couldn't have been more helpful & sorted things our quickly & efficiently. Wednesday could learn something here as well.

I said to Young Padawan after five minutes that we weren't up for this one and that unless Joao & Hooper could do a miracle job then we would lose. In truth, it was lost in team selection. We had no movement up front so that whenever we got the ball we had nowhere to go & with MK pressing hard, we just gave the ball away repeatedly. It seems as though even the better players' heads go down when Nuhiu starts because FF & Bannan were well below their normal standard while Nuhiu & Sougou were statues.

The first goal shouldn't have happened & while Pudil & Loovens might have done better, Westwood made it an easy finish. The only redeeming feature of the first half was that we got to half time only 1-0 behind. Only Turner (and to a lesser extent Loovens) could be satisfied with their first half performance.

Wallace had already replaced Lopez just before half time and Joao replaced Nuhiu at the break. The only surprise was that Sougou escaped the cull and started the second half.

There was an immediate improvement with Bannan & Wallace looking active in CM but the balloon was soon punctured when FF gave the ball away carelessly in CM and Maynard just beat the offside to burst clear & beat Westwood. At the time, it looked offside but seeing the video coverage this morning, the run was brilliantly timed with Turner playing him just onside.

After that, we dominated. Hooper replace Sougou and we were playing with eleven men. Hooper's movement up front makes so much difference. Suddenly we were asking their defence questions. Joao's pace was a threat and FF was wriggling through gaps when he wasn't diving looking for free kicks. Hunt was finding oceans of space down the right although his delivery was shocking.

Thankfully Wallace & Bannan were probing well and Hooper, Joao & FF were providing target. The anonymous Lee started to get involved. FF forced their keeper into a brilliant twisting save after creating the space for a shot cleverly. The goal came from a sweet move on the right edge of the box where Wallace burst clear & cut the ball back to the well positioned Hooper, who fired home from 15 yards.

That gave us 15 minutes to chase an equaliser. We went close a few times but never went closer than MK did on a break when Westwood had to dive smartly to save.

Rating the players is so difficult because the halves were so different so I have marked players by the half and given them an average.

Westwood - 4 + 6 = 5
Hunt - 2 + 5 = 3.5
Turner - 6 + 6 = 6
Loovens - 5 + 6 = 5.5
Lopez - 2
Lee - 2 + 6 = 4
Bannan 5 + 7 = 6
Sougou - 1
FF - 3 + 7 = 5
Nuhiu - 1
Wallace - 8
Joao - 7
Hooper - 8

We cannot afford to play players that are dead weights at the start and hope to pull it back later with substitutions. Nuhiu & Sougou are nowhere near good enough to play for a top half SBC team and their inclusion means that we are effectively playing with nine men plus it has a debilitating effect on our better players. We are so easy to defend against with that first half team. Nuhiu offers no threat and teams defend high because they know that he cannot turn the defence and get in behind. This squeezes the game when we have possession & with MK pressing, we just kept giving the ball away. We had the joke situation of Nuhiu being set free and clear of the defence but running like he was in a bed of treacle and ending up shooting pitifully from the edge of the box as defenders closed in. Not sure what Sougou was supposed to be doing. He stayed close to one touch line or the other & was barely involved.

CC has to take responsibility for this. It has happened quite a few times now that we have given away the initiative by starting Nuhiu and had to try to wrestle back control with second half substitutions. We have scored six goals after bringing on Hooper against Huddersfield, Cardiff & MK. Maybe he should start?

To me the best solution in the short term is to play 433 with Joao & Hooper up front with FF tucked in behind. Three in midfield from Hutchinson, Bannan, Wallace & Lee and use the FBs to provide width. Hunt is a liability in defence and his delivery is appalling from some good positions. Palmer is a far better option. Without Lees, we are vulnerable to pace at CB but we have to live with that for a few weeks and hope that we get enough goals by attacking for 90 minutes that that won't count too heavily against us.

Stat Attack:

Goals: 1 - Hooper

Assist: 1 - Wallace

Tackles: 2 - Hunt, Loovens, Lee, FF, Bannan, Nuhiu, 1 - Sougou, Wallace

Interceptions: 6 - Turner, 5 - Lee, 4 - Bannan, 2 - Hunt, Pudil, 1 - Loovens, Lopez, Sougou, Wallace

Clearances: 6 - Loovens, 3 - Turner, 2 - Pudil, Lee, 1 - Hunt, Hooper

Attempts: 2 - Nuhiu, Wallace, 1 - FF, Bannan, Joao, Hooper

Attempts On Target: 1 - FF, Hooper

Key Passes: 1 - Westwood, Lopez, FF, Bannan, Hooper, Wallace

Dribbles: 3 - FF, 2 - Bannan, 1 - Hunt, Joao, Wallace

Dispossessed: 5 - FF, 2 - Hunt, Pudil, Joao, 1 - Lopez, Lee, Bannan, Hooper, Wallace

Bad Control: 3 - FF, 2 - Joao, 1 - Lopez, Lee

Crosses (accurate in brackets) 7 - Hunt (1), 6 - Wallace (1), 3 - Bannan (0), 2 - Pudil (1), FF (0), 1 - Loovens (0), Lee (0), Sougou (0), Hooper (0)

Passing Accuracy (Total Passes in Brackets)

Sougou - 100% (8)
Lopez - 96% (22)
Hooper - 94% (16)
Wallace - 85% (34)
Loovens - 85% (27)
Pudil - 82% (28)
Lee - 81% (37)
Bannan - 77% (53)
FF - 76% (25)
Turner - 74% (27)
Joao - 67% (12)
Westwood - 63% (30)
Nuhiu - 60% (15)
Hunt - 57% (35)

I did mention on Saturday that we create so much more after Hooper comes on and the stats show perhaps why. On top of his better movement, he also has better passing figures that our other strikers which means we are keeping the ball live better.

We have five days before our next match while Wolves play on Thursday night so we have to use this advantage to work them from the first minute. It is not the end of the world if CC has learned from his errors of last night but to start Nuhiu & Sougou again would be a criminal error.
Owlkev71, St Charles Owl, Washington And 3 others like this post
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Hooper will surely start now on Sunday. I hope that is alongside Joao and not on his own with FF behind.

The team has to be -

Westwood

Palmer
Loovens
Turner
Pudil

Lee
Bannan
Wallace

FF

Joao
Hooper

If Hutch is fit he will obviously take his place, possibly in place of Lee who needs a break.
madsteve likes this post
(16-12-2015, 13:23)consilio Wrote: Hooper will surely start now on Sunday.  I hope that is alongside Joao and not on his own with FF behind.  

The team has to be -

Westwood

Palmer
Loovens
Turner
Pudil

Lee
Bannan
Wallace

FF

Joao
Hooper

If Hutch is fit he will obviously take his place, possibly in place of Lee who needs a break.

That is the team I would pick. Turner is a bit of a doubt so Hutch might have to cover there.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
Still reeling from last night, shocking to watch those highlights.

"Carlos had a dream, to be a beauty Queen. We had no players, so we signed prima-donnas on loan, we leak goals at the back and Nuhiu is whack. We're Sheffield Wednesday.. they make me smoke crack"

Very disappointed Sougou didn't perform. I was hoping he'd show some of his previous glimpses and stake a claim in the starting XI. This didn't happen clearly.

It was the result I expected despite hoping not. Absolutely have to pick it up now and force points out of the tougher fixtures we expected nothing from.
Pretty much at the halfway point of the season, we don't look bad it's just a shame to think where we could've been had we not choked.
Owlkev71 and peiowl like this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Playing Hooper on his own from the start is the only forward permutation we have yet to try, I wonder if thats what we will see on Sunday?? I know it sounds great to start the game with the front three that finished last night, and I think it could certainly see us get off to a better start, but the downside is that if it isn't going well or we still find ourselves losing after an hour, it leaves virtually nothing on the bench that would provide any impact to turn the game around. Our bench with that starting 11 would consist of Lopez, Nuhiu, Sougou, Helan, Wildsmith, McGugan & Semedo!! Only McGugan and maybe Helan would make any real difference if we are chasing a game.

For me, last night showed we are still very much a work in progress and that when you peel back the initial layers of skin the squad drops off in terms of ability. Lopez was disappointing last night because I thought he would push on from a decent performance on Saturday, lets hope last night is actually the blip and not the performance on Saturday!! Sougou hasn't done well for a while now after initially showing some promise, in fact Helan may actually be more consistent than he is!! McGugan is getting zero opportunities to show anything, no idea why, maybe he is the one that suffers from us needing to generally use one sub for an injury and the other two to add the two strikers to try to change the game. Semedo is a lovely chap and a good servant to the club, enough said!!!

We need to get Matias back after his hernia, Melo seems to be one of those players destined to see his time at S6 blighted by injury and Bus is god knows where!! Matias could make a difference, he was a stand out player in a dysfunctional team at the start of the season and could still play a major role for us in the second half.

All of this really points to the fact we have progressed as a club but there is still a long way to go.
Wolves will try and bully us much like last year !! so for me we need a packed out midfield of 5 hutch semi bannan lee and possibly forest tucked into this midfield as he is quite a battler and plays some good one twos with lee and bannan unilke helan  Doh who only plays one twos with himself or the other team  Doh  With Hooper or joao on there jacks ? failing that barry in the middle aswell with either 3 of these forwards upfront ? 

But what i realy want is hooper joao and forest starting the game  Thumb up and the tactic of the game moulded round them and for them  Thumb up 

3 very tough games coming up as past record shows all 3 teams can be a right pain in the arse  Angry wolves possibly the hardest game to win as we havnt beat tham at hillborough in the league for almost 40 years  Doh 

1964 the last time we beat them in the league at Hillsborough ? this has to be our worst ever record against any club in our entire history ?
Watched the YT hightlights now and awful defending for the first goal and pressing too high with too slow central defenders to recover if/when the linesman mkaes a bad call on the offsides - can't really tell if it was OS but JP seemed to think so.

Either most of them thought it would be easy (like Charlton ) and or they weren't up to a cold and wet Tuesday night game. Also with concrete cows throwing all the meat on the fire didn't pan out too well either.

Seems to me some of the squad are fatigued or carrying niggles but there's no-one to cover because of other injuries. Lee didn't seem as involved as much last night and the normal passing and possession we have seen previouslydidn't pan out. From the commentary we made Potter sound like messi and MK put in a better shift just like Bournemouth did against Liverpool.

While as SCO said we haven't tried starting Hooper on his own, to me it looked like he is about 2 stone over weight and so won't be mobile enough . His finish last night was good but I suspect he is best getting to balls in the 6 yard box and to do that we need better service for it to work.

I do think matias will be like a new signing when he gets back and the Nacional highlights showed him and Joao linking up well.

A lot can happen between now and May though - look at Derby last year. If we can sneak a play off place then those games become like cup games and with the home and excelent away support anything could happen. More diappointing than losing in the play offs would be finishing 7th on GD.

Hopefully this is a bit of a blip and we can push forward with a run that sees us beating teams rather than getting draws but we will need a bit of luck, lots of hard work and some players to recover quickly.
So, Hunts apologised to the fans on Twitter while Nuhiu is getting slated.

He's finally off to play football in Siberia at the end of the season Laugh

Hopefully Wolves are knackered after the L**ds game, they have 3 days before they beat, I mean play us.
peiowl likes this post
"The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject." Marcus Aurelius
Bit rough on old noopoo that !! feel sorry for him realy , becuase he does try !! but its time to move on .. it could have been easier on the lad if wed have moved him on before this season , shame on you peiowl !!
(17-12-2015, 04:48)Imre varadi Wrote: Bit rough on old noopoo that !! feel sorry for him realy , becuase he does try !! but its time to move on .. it could have been easier on the lad if wed have moved him on before this season , shame on you peiowl !!

OUT WiTH NOOPOO!!

Totally useless!!

What a dork!!!

Oops. Hope i didnt hurt your feelings Batty. I mean Atty.

Laugh Laugh
"God Save the King."
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »