Thread Rating:
Henderson and Two Bigfoots?
So what did you think about England's game last night ..... and the chances going forward?

I wasn't impressed. Thought we were the better of two poor sides in the first half, but Colombia were the best side second half and for most of extra time whilst remaining disappointing going forward. I'm not a big Harry Kane fan, but do admit he always gets on the score sheet ...... BUT last night I was very impressed, feeding on some piss-poor service he kept Colombia's defence stretched. Harry Maguire and Kieran Trippier, neither of whom would have been in my side beforehand, both shone too. My favourite player Dele Alli, didn't look fit to me, the sharpness and sparkle he always displays were absent, his running was conservative and his whole game was unambitious. Raheem produced just one worthwhile move in the whole game, Lingard seemed to be stumbling when he was running, but Pickford, another who I'd have trouble selecting, had the chance to show the things he CAN do and did.... Henderson, however, was all too Henderson, all the way to his penalty.

Didn't understand Colombia either. Muriel took a penalty that showed he's a player of some class, but what was he, third sub? Surely he should have been up with Falcao, like he was second half against Senegal? Why was Carlos Sanchez marking Kane never mind wrestling him to the floor, did Mr Pekerman get his Sanchezes mixed up? Why did they wait until they went behind, had been very angry to no-effect and tried to  upset England at every turn in every way they knew BEFORE they even tried playing a bit of their football? Were they so convinced that the loss of James Rodriguez meant actually playing couldn't win them the game?

I thought it was a poor game with hardly a shot on target for either side. But then earlier I'd watched tennis rather than continue with Sweden and Switzerland into a turgid second half.

Despite my criticism, player for player we are way better than Sweden. Unfortunately teams don't operate that way. Sweden'd like us to attack and create them some space and let them win somekinda dead ball from which they could grab a winner ....... I know you'll think I'm a mental, but I'd revert to a back four and either Trippier or Walker would have to end up playing left back, because I'd want them to be proper full backs,neither deserves to be left out, but defending would be their priority. I'd leave out Alli and Lingard and hope there'd be a next round in which to use them - I'd pick a midfield of Dier, Loftus-Cheek and Henderson with the specific intention of bringing Sweden on to us and having three more sizeable guys to handle the physical challenge. Harry would be centre forward and in behind him attacking from midfield and wide would be Raheem (despite last night's effort) and Rashford, to run the Swedes ragged and make space for Kane and to feed him ..... All this because teams that they think they are better than Sweden don't get much success. Holland and Italy tried it in qualifying, Switzerland tried it, Germany scraped a win they never deserved. If Sweden were an attacking team we'd be thinking, "we have to stop them playing their game." So if they want to sit back, drag them forward, make them play a game they aren't familiar with. That's my bunkum and I'm sticking to it.
Lord Snooty likes this post
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by Devongone - 04-07-2018, 13:02
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by Lord Snooty - 04-07-2018, 13:14
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by SHEP_HTAFC - 04-07-2018, 15:23
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by St Charles Owl - 04-07-2018, 19:06
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by Lord Snooty - 04-07-2018, 19:21
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by SHEP_HTAFC - 05-07-2018, 09:37
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by Lord Snooty - 05-07-2018, 10:58
RE: Henderson and Two Bigfoots? - by Devongone - 06-07-2018, 13:38